Actually could be a fun group with Wylde and Bordin...but Jason should probably pick a band, shut up, and play bass. No one likes to see this much press coming from a bass player, it's just bad form :P

Alexhead wrote:Actually could be a fun group with Wylde and Bordin...but Jason should probably pick a band, shut up, and play bass. No one likes to see this much press coming from a bass player, it's just bad form :P
In theory, it could be a fun group. In reality (read: Sharon Osbourne's world), forget it. Even Wylde and Bordin can't make Ozzy's solo crap any less horrendous.

Newsted probably will take the job. He was in McTallica for 15 years, for chrissakes, so he clearly doesn't have a problem with making money in a big bloated cock-rock machine. I guess we were celebrating the re-emergence of his street cred a tad too soon.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Yeah, it's not like the boys will get together and jam or anything--they'll just play whatever Ozzy's hired songwriters crap out for his next album, I s'pose. I dunno, I think there's about 2 billion other bands to look to for decent hard rock/metal these days; neither Ozzy nor Metallica have meant shit for at least a decade. As you pointed out, probably appropriate that Newkid would end up with neuro-damage king Osbourne.

Alexhead wrote:Yeah, it's not like the boys will get together and jam or anything--they'll just play whatever Ozzy's hired songwriters crap out for his next album, I s'pose. I dunno, I think there's about 2 billion other bands to look to for decent hard rock/metal these days; neither Ozzy nor Metallica have meant shit for at least a decade. As you pointed out, probably appropriate that Newkid would end up with neuro-damage king Osbourne.
What's funny is that I've seen more than a couple interviews with Wylde where he basically pisses on Ozzy's last solo album and griped about all the "shit songs" he had to play on. Of course, he doesn't quit the band, now does he. Wylde likes the money. And his own band, Black Label Society is OK, in a dated late 80s sorta way, but obviously doesn't pay the bills like the Ozzy gig does. So he shuts up -- for a while, anyway -- and earns his pay.

Newkid is a bit more disappointing situation because the Voivod promos are quite good, as both TC and I believe. There's real potential there for some decent heavy music. But given the choice to play a string of club dates with Voivod this year or a mammoth corporate festival with Ozzfest, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if Newkid chooses the latter. Money-grubbing whore that he is.

Think I'll go home and put Cliff Burton's bass solo from Kill Em All on repeat-play for a few hours...
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Metal Update wrote:OZZY OSBOURNE
a report from Rock Sound indicates that bassist Jason Newsted (Metallica,
VoiVod) has joined the band - guitarist Zakk Wylde is quoted as follows:
"Jason has joined the band, I just got off the phone to him and he asked
me to show him the right key for the songs so he doesn't look like an
idiot."
after listening to the new voivod for a couple weeks now, i cannot begin to describe how fucking pissed off i am about this right now. what a motherfucking WHORE this asshole is. voivod is going to be touring in a couple months and this is what he does?

all the respect i gained for him vis a vis him joining Voivod has now been replaced with sheer contempt as his blatant choice of money over quality. WHORE.

TC wrote:
Metal Update wrote:OZZY OSBOURNE
a report from Rock Sound indicates that bassist Jason Newsted (Metallica,
VoiVod) has joined the band - guitarist Zakk Wylde is quoted as follows:
"Jason has joined the band, I just got off the phone to him and he asked
me to show him the right key for the songs so he doesn't look like an
idiot."
after listening to the new voivod for a couple weeks now, i cannot begin to describe how fucking pissed off i am about this right now. what a motherfucking WHORE this asshole is. voivod is going to be touring in a couple months and this is what he does?

all the respect i gained for him vis a vis him joining Voivod has now been replaced with sheer contempt as his blatant choice of money over quality. WHORE.
Well like I said, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, since he was in McTallica for 15 years so he learned all he knows about being a whore from the masters. I'm totally in agreement with you on this, TC.

Fucking cunt. Fuck Newsted. Moneygrubbing bitch.

There's a story at Billboard.com that SUGGESTS that Newkid is going to be playing both Voivod and Ozzy sets while on Ozzfest. It doesn't come right out and say that, but the wording seems to hint that that's how things will play out.

So my hunch is Newkid will do double-duty for the summer (that's what Wylde did when Black Label Society was on the Ozzfest main stage), then quit Voivod after the tour is over to take the Ozzy gig full time.

After listening to the Voivod album at least a couple times a day all week... all I gotta say is man, what a shem Newkid is. He's going to give this up to tour around with a washed-out has-been who can't sing, screws over good musicians, and allowed his legacy to be forever sullied just so his bitch wife can drain every last penny out of MTV. This ain't like Dave Grohl playing on the Queens of the Stone Age album (his best drumming ever, if you ask me), then bailing to return to his crappy Foo Fighters vanity project. I think everyone knew Grohl was just doing the album and nothing more. Ditto, say, Dave Lombardo on the Testament and Fantomas albums (and going on the road with Slayer, and supposedly recording the next album there, too).

But here we got Newkid telling anyone who'd listen for the past 6 months that he was in Voivod fulltime, that it was always his dream to be a member of Voivod, that he was glad to be free from McTallica and was sick of the corporate joke that McTallica had become. And now he's going to screw over Voivod just to become part of the biggest corporate joke of all. Fucking hypocrite.

from the CONTRA COSTA TIMES:
Posted on Mon, Mar. 10, 2003

He's just your friendly neighborhood rock star
By Tony Hicks
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

He made a nice living for years thrashing through stadiums, banging out songs like "Seek and Destroy" and "Creeping Death" with one of the biggest and most important hard rock bands in America.

But you're more likely these days to spy former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted hauling equipment over to gig at a neighborhood kid's birthday party.

"We took (rock band) Papa Wheelie up into his mom's living room for his 12th birthday and rocked that sucker," Newsted says, grinning at the memory from his porch of his Walnut Creek home and studio. "Full Marshall stacks on the clean white carpet. That was something."

Forty-year-old Newsted is the friendly neighborhood rock star who helps a local kid develop his budding guitar chops one minute, and takes a phone call from Ozzy Osbourne, the reality TV star and godfather of heavy metal music, the next.

His home-based Chophouse record label exists for his many musical projects. In fact, Newsted's desire to play with lots of different people was a main reason he quit Metallica. His unrivaled and hyperactive passion for rock could make Jennifer Lopez look lazy.

"I try to get up as early as possible and do the exercise thing," says the fast talker under a full head of almost-unruly curly hair; more hair adorns his chin.

"Yesterday I talked to probably seven different countries, talking business. Then I do Chophouse business. Then I spend the rest of my time, as long as my brain and fingers still work, working on songs."

Newsted's passion for playing doesn't allow room to start a family. He instead has a girlfriend, three dogs and a big house and studio, which he uses, along with his rock-star rep, to help those he deems worthy.

He brought headlines to a young band from Piedmont called the Moss Brothers a few years ago by producing their record and playing bass at their first couple of shows. He later formed the band Echobrain with two Marin County musicians, joining them for a record and tour (which he financed) to get them off the ground.

"He's a very generous and caring person," says Lisa Braver Moss, whose sons were 11 and 14 when they first played with Newsted. "He was very concerned about their musical integrity, that the end result would reflect what they wanted."

She says Newsted got the boys T-shirts and custom-made earplugs, and was so concerned about her son Ruben's small frame that he bought him a smaller guitar so his back wouldn't suffer. "Can you imagine that? It's completely amazing."

Newsted's been at it again the past year, helping revive Voivod, a Canadian heavy metal band that enjoyed moderate success a decade ago. He joined the group, funded its new record (which was released last week) and organized a spring tour before landing the band its biggest break, a coveted spot on Ozzfest, Osbourne's annual multimillion-dollar concert tour.

"I've been a fan forever," Newsted says of Voivod. "I'm in a position, through my hard work in Metallica, to bring exposure to them they didn't have before. There's a lot of similarities with Metallica."

That's not a bad thing. At a time when most rock-band personnel changes are accompanied by finger-pointing and name-calling, Newsted remains on good terms and still socializes with his former bandmates. He wishes them nothing but the best. Metallica is preparing to release a new record soon and this summer will stage its first tour in three years.

Rumors had surfaced that Newsted would rejoin the band for that tour, but Newsted clearly has plans of his own. Still, he says he has a "cool vision" that when Metallica gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a move rock historians say is all but inevitable, he will reunite with the band to perform at the ceremony.

"I'd be there in a heartbeat, to show my pride in what we accomplished," Newsted says. As for now, he says, "I want them to come out and kick (expletive)."

But thanks to Osbourne and his gargantuan annual tour, Newsted is setting his sites on an equally big rock event.

A peek inside Newsted's studio finds him and his bass behind a state-of-the-art sound mixing board. A serious look comes from behind his unmetal-like, thin-rimmed glasses as he plays along with a trademark Ozzy Osbourne song, "Gets Me Through."

He looks up and smiles, his concentration broken. Turning down the stereo, he announces, "Dude, I got the call."

"The call" came a couple days earlier from Sharon Osbourne, Ozzy's wife, manager and costar of MTV's hit reality show "The Osbournes." She offered Voivod a slot on the on the huge summer tour, then had an even bigger offer for Newsted -- a spot in Osbourne's own band.

"She said, "Now at the same time, I'd like to ask you if you'd be interested in coming down to jam with Ozzy,'" he repeats. He smiles like a kid with a mouthful of candy, relaying how Ozzy himself called a day later. Funnily enough, the opening came when Newsted's friend and former Ozzy bassist Robert Trujillo took Newsted's old spot in Metallica.

He stresses that he hasn't accepted a job yet, but admits letting his "mind run with it." Even for an established rock artist, playing with a legend and pop-culture icon can be awe-inspiring. "I stepped off the mountain, and now I might be "Over the Mountain," (referring to the classic Ozzy song of the same name).

Whatever the band, Newsted sees himself as part of a chain, from Ozzy to the Moss Brothers and the neighborhood kids.

"I still try to (jam with the local kids)," he says. "I actually loaned (the boy with the birthday party) a bass a couple weeks ago. He came down with this multitrack recording and he'd figured out how to record his rhythm-guitar track and his lead track. So I gave him a bass so he can learn how to put his bass part in there and start realizing some orchestration.

"I love to do that whenever I can. Even today with the Echobrain guys, when I hand them over a keyboard or a new guitar or something like that, they say 'Dude, what can I do to repay you?'

He pauses with emphasis, to recite the answer.

"Make music," he says. "Bring it over and play it for me. That's what I want you to do. Be really good on the instrument I just gave you; kick its (expletive) and show me how you do. That's how you thank me. I don't want no kind of monetary thing; you don't owe me like that."

To Newsted, inspiring people to continue loving and making music is what matters.

"All I want you to do is rock," Newsted says. "That'll be forever, man."

BIOGRAPHY

• NAME: Jason Newsted

• HOME: Walnut Creek

• OCCUPATION: Bassist; for Phoenix band Flotsam and Jetsam (1983-1987), Bay Area bands Metallica (1987-2000) and Echobrain (2001-2002), and Canadian band Voivod (2002-present). Founder of Chophouse Records (http://www.chophouserecords.com).

• BESTSELLING ALBUM: 1991's "Metallica," known as the "Black Album," which sold more than 12 million copies worldwide and sent five singles to the Billboard Top 100.

Still sounds like he's going to try to do double-duty with the Voivod and Ozzy gigs. We'll see.