Silent Night [Woo]

From legendary director John Woo and the producer of John Wick comes this gritty revenge tale of a tormented father (Joel Kinnaman) who witnesses his young son die when caught in a gang’s crossfire on Christmas Eve. While recovering from a wound that costs him his voice, he makes vengeance his life’s mission and embarks on a punishing training regimen in order to avenge his son’s death. Full of Woo’s signature style, Silent Night redefines the action genre with visceral, thrill-a-minute storytelling.
as a guy currently wearing a The Killer shirt, this looks fucking fantastic. wasn't expecting this.

Re: Silent Night [Woo]

watched this as part of my xmas film marathon. not really sure why it's getting some level of hate. i thought it was fucking awesome. there is essentially no intelligible dialog in this film, other than the radio and/or TV. yes, this is the second such film i've seen this year. this one works far better for me. it's essentially a live-action graphic novel. i remember when we'd occasionally get some one-shot graphic novels that were stand-alone, with no main books or characters to draw from, and i remember loving some of those. this is exactly like that. every frame of this film looks exactly like a comic book panel. even the signature slow motion works exactly like a series of panels. this is like the reverse of Watchmen where Snyder tried to adapt a panel-to-frame methodology - a graphic novelization of this film would work seamlessly. all you'd have to do is exactly what Woo depicted here. it fits right in with GI Joe #21 or Batman #431, where there was no dialog in the entire issue, and i'm here for it. the action is, as you might expect, beyond over the top. it's extremely melodramatic, but again, exactly like a comic book. i feel like people aren't getting what he was doing here, otherwise this would be a massive film. or, the pure action genre is just out of favor with today's crowd, which is also possible. anyway, yes it's over the top, yes it's beyond unrealistic, but yes it's fucking great and i loved it. excellent xmas film, and excellent addition to the Woo library.