Cocaine Bear

well, this is certainly different...

On a rampage for blow and blood. Meet #CocaineBear. Only in Theaters February 24th.
https://www.cocainebear.movie/

Inspired by the 1985 true story of a drug runner's plane crash, missing cocaine, and the black bear that ate it, this wild dark comedy finds an oddball group of cops, criminals, tourists and teens converging in a Georgia forest where a 500- pound apex predator has ingested a staggering amount of cocaine and gone on a coke-fueled rampage for more blow … and blood.

Cocaine Bear stars Keri Russell (The Americans), O’Shea Jackson, Jr. (Straight Outta Compton), Christian Convery-Jennings (Sweet Tooth), Alden Ehrenreich (Solo: A Star Wars Story), Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), Brooklynn Prince (The Florida Project), Isiah Whitlock Jr. (BlacKkKlansman), Kristofer Hivju (Game of Thrones), Hannah Hoekstra (2019’s Charlie’s Angels) and Aaron Holliday (Sharp Objects), with with Emmy winner Margo Martindale (The Americans) and Emmy winner Ray Liotta (The Many Saints of Newark).

Directed by Elizabeth Banks (Charlie’s Angels, Pitch Perfect 2) from a screenplay by Jimmy Warden (The Babysitter: Killer Queen), Cocaine Bear is produced by Oscar® winners Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, The Mitchells vs. The Machines) for Lord Miller, Elizabeth Banks (Pitch Perfect franchise) and Max Handelman (Pitch Perfect franchise) for Brownstone Productions, Brian Duffield (Spontaneous) for Jurassic Party Productions and Aditya Sood (The Martian) for Lord Miller. The film is executive produced by Robin Mulcahy Fisichella, Alison Small and Nikki Baida.

Re: Cocaine Bear

Starts great. Sags in the middle. Should have been way more nuts. I didn't need attempts at side or back stories. Two dimensional characters would have been fine. Regardless, was amusing and had some great kills. We watched the hour-long doc about the true story immediately after. I’m sure you’ll be shocked to learn two things: 1) the lead investigator guy wasn’t black, and there wasn’t a black subordinate daughter-figure. In fact, there were zero black people involved in this long, involved story between back-country cops and Mexican-connected mafia types. Shocking I know. And 2) the doc could have been about 45 min shorter (it was 55 min). There are some very interesting parts, including the connection between the head judge on one of the cases and Woody Harrelson’s dad who assassinated him, and of course the story is crazy, but when it comes to the bear, turns out he only probably ate 3 grams of coke and died. The end. No kilos ingested, no killing rampage, etc. Oh, one other thing you learn is that it wasn’t the first type of animal affected by this guy and his drug runs - he previously dropped some coke on a dairy farm, so some cows were the first to eat his 95% pure coke. Very much looking forward to the prequel Cocaine Cow.

I feel like the color of the people is not really as big a deal as much as the fact that almost none of the story is true. Like that's the part you single out? 😂
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I don’t care, both i like both actors fine, but just commenting on it because hollywood has made it impossible to not notice when they go out of their way to change races for unknown reasons, especially in “based on a true story” cases. I’m actually kind of blown away there wasn’t a wedged-in gay love story.

So, in Cocaine Bear, a movie about a bear that eats a bunch of cocaine and goes on a killing spree, a movie which has nothing to do with reality, that Cocaine Bear, you were bothered to the point of distraction that there were a couple of black characters, so much so that it affected your enjoyment of Cocaine Bear, a ridiculous movie based on nonsense? Really??

lol, i never said it bothered me or affected my enjoyment of the film. don't be ridiculous. i just don't understand why. i actually think there's probably more opportunity for humor if you keep the backwoods, redneck cops. shrug.