X [West, 2022]

Ti West is hit and miss, but i do quite like his "hits". another A24 release. looks interesting enough that i'll watch it, but also hokey enough that i may hate it.

Re: X [West, 2022]

Finally saw this last night and loved it. It takes quite a while for the “horror” to kick in, but I didn’t mind as I enjoyed the setup. Amazingly, in an ensemble cast horror film, not one character is fucking annoying, as is the standard trope. Really dug the vibe here, and when the horror does kick in, there are some fantastic practical effects and disturbing sequences. Loved the twist at the end, too. Really well done. Maybe second-favorite West so far. Recommended.

Re: X [West, 2022]

Pearl - putting this here as it's related, and apparently a trilogy, so this prequel to X belongs here. had heard a lot of hype around this so was anxious to check it out now that it's on streaming. it's kind of an odd film. it kind of feels like a Lifetime movie of the week, as far as a child's rough home life on the farm makes her have mental issues, or at least contributes to heightening existing mental issues, but then some serious horror kicks in. it's really well done and stylized - like, the choice of music, font, title cards, etc., are a nice nod to the era in which this takes place. i did like it, but don't think i liked it more than X, although i haven't watched that again since the initial viewing above. it's a nice fleshing out of the story of how she came to be on that farm, with some great tie-ins to X (love that gator). it's interesting for sure.