Uncharted

Based on one of the best-selling, most critically acclaimed video game series of all time, Uncharted introduces audiences to the young street-smart Nathan Drake (Tom Holland) and showcases his first treasure hunting adventure with wisecracking partner Victor “Sully” Sullivan (Mark Wahlberg). In an action-adventure epic that spans the globe, the two go in dangerous pursuit of “the greatest treasure never found” while also tracking clues that may lead to Nathan’s long-lost brother.
as someone who just recently played through Uncharted 4 for the first time (i've never played the others) and loved it, i see a lot of familiar looking set pieces and beats here that get me kind of excited. i still don't really understand the tom holland casting - he's really young for nathan - but i guess this is a prequel to the events of the series of games, sort of? don't know, but there's certainly no shortage of stories to mine in the lore. could end up being an indiana jones and/or national treasure style film that leads to more films, which would be fine by me if it's good. there's a severe shortage of that particular style of action/adventure films these days.

Re: Uncharted

i played through the entire uncharted series earlier this year as prep for watching this, which i finally did last week or so. while far from perfect, and many things that are pretty far from the lore and tone of the games, it wasn't as bad as some are saying. felt like they wanted it to set up a franchise, which sort of explains the casting of younger characters across the board. really, i wouldn't mind at all if they continued and did another one, even though that seems unlikely. it was an ambitious effort, i'll give them that. they had to walk the line between being loyal/on-book to the games and making a movie that people who never played the games could enjoy. not an enviable position. i'd maintain that if they simply filmed the games, it would have worked well and they would have gotten less flack. but, here we are. anyway, it's not great, it's not bad, but wasn't quite as fun as, say, National Treasure. bummer, as it really should have worked and been a franchise. shrug.