Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy (Gunn, 2014)

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:It seems the line from the end of Dark Knight gets recycled a lot in comic geek circles and culture, that's all.
It's the line people deserve, but not the one they need right now.
See? SEE??
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

While DC has been busy trying to shove every comic character they have into Batman vs Superman (and thus showing the lack of confidence they have in their own film), a movie based on a comic hardly anyone read featuring a tree and a talking Raccoon just became the top grossing film of the summer and will likely be the top grossing film of the year by the end of the weekend. Hey DC, stop playing it so safe and maybe you can collect some of that bank yourself.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I'm just looking forward to seeing the 5th Batman and 3rd Superman of the big screen in my lifetime (let's not get into t.v. versions). That's canon buildin' for ya.

The funny thing about Guardians, much as I enjoyed it (seen it twice now), it's a big budget Serenity/Star Wars ripoff for the most part. It's not like Marvel is reinventing narrative structure with their stuff. But they know what they do best, and they're setting about doing it. With characters that, as darkness notes, have zero public cache compared to Supes and Bats.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I still haven't seen the film so I can't comment on the quality. I'm just noting that while DC hems and haws and seems to not have the confidence to do anything with their comic properties without throwing everything they have at one film, Marvel is willing to take chances (one could argue even Iron Man was) and it's paying off quite well for them.

darkness wrote:I still haven't seen the film so I can't comment on the quality. I'm just noting that while DC hems and haws and seems to not have the confidence to do anything with their comic properties without throwing everything they have at one film, Marvel is willing to take chances (one could argue even Iron Man was) and it's paying off quite well for them.
well, i think they got a bit burned with the shadow. but, last time they threw a bunch of characters into a film for no good reason, it was batnips, which does not bode well.

TC wrote:well, i think they got a bit burned with the shadow. but, last time they threw a bunch of characters into a film for no good reason, it was batnips, which does not bode well.
The Shadow was 20 years ago. I doubt that's even on any current exec's radar if they even know about it. I think the bigger problem is the whole approach to the films. Marvel tries to keep the budget reasonable and is able to get a good return on their films thusly. They also adapt a lot from the comics and use comic writers for the general story if not the script. DC on the other hand, develops the film so much and blows the budget so high that their risk of failure is huge and they have to play it extra safe.

So... This is far and away the best Marvel movie, one might say the first Marvel movie that's actually any good. This being because it's the first one that actually displays a bit of individual authorship (even Whedon got lost amongst all the CGI sturm and drang of The Avengers), also the characters are strongly defined and they seem to have set aside the Reaganite politics for once. Only complaint really is that it's far too violent, sometimes gleefully so, as kids would otherwise love it in a Star Wars-esque fashion.

while i'm still kind of confused as to why make this story vs. others (i think as mike pointed out, it's to serve the thanos story line), i do take back what i first said in this thread. just saw this, laughed a lot, was all over the place and fun because of it. too bad reilly didn't die. would watch again.

I would think between the 70s conspiracy thriller vibe and action setpieces that Cap 2 would be your best bet, but yeah, if that doesn't do it for you then the Marvel thing may not be your thing.

This is one of those fun threads to re-read, as everyone was all WTF meh at first and now everybody loves those wacky Guardians. I suspect this will slay the summer box office.