Escape From New York [202x]

Deadline wrote:Joel Silver, Studio Canal To Reboot John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’

Joel Silver‘s Silver Pictures has joined forces with Studio Canal to build a new franchise with a retelling of Escape From New York. The 1981 John Carpenter original starred Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken, a tough convict dropped into a futuristic New York that has been turned into a post-apocalyptic maximum security prison. He’s charged with rescuing the president (Donald Pleasence), who is held hostage by the prison kingpin (Isaac Hayes) after his plane crashes within the city walls. Snake’s offered a pardon if he’s successful, but fitted with a lethal device that will kill him if he tries to run or misses the deadline.

A remake had been attempted not that long ago at New Line with producer Neil Moritz and The Crazies helmer Breck Eisner, with Gerard Butler, Jeremy Renner and Tom Hardy all mentioned as potentials to play Plissken. That effort ended when New Line let the option lapse almost two years ago.

Studio Canal, which partnered with Silver on the Liam Neeson action films Unknown and Non-Stop and the upcoming Sean Penn-starrer Prone Gunman, has entrusted Silver with the rights. Silver is planning an entirely new take on the material. The goal is to turn it into a trilogy, starting with an origin story in a fashion similar to the way Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes restarted that franchise. Studio Canal will finance development of the project before placing it with a studio. A writer search is underway.

Silver and Andrew Rona will produce. Silver’s EVP Alex Heineman will be executive producer. As for a new Snake, either Butler, Renner, Hardy or Neeson would hit the mark as the one-eyed tough guy.
NO.
Last edited by TC on 16/11/22, 12:06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title since this is still going on

Re: Escape From New York [201x]

Alexhead wrote:Jesus, could they just rip off some of the ideas and call it something else?
They already did that with that Guy Pearce movie Lockout, I've heard.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Jesus, could they just rip off some of the ideas and call it something else?
They already did that with that Guy Pearce movie Lockout, I've heard.
Indeed, and put it in space! I think Ebert's recommendation was to drink a few beers before watching. Sound advice I'm sure.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TrackingBoard wrote:Robert Rodriguez in Talks to Direct Fox’s “Escape From New York” Remake

After directing Alita: Battle Angel for 20th Century Fox, Robert Rodriguez is in talks to direct the studio’s remake of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

While there’s still no deal in place just yet, Rodriguez is the studio’s choice and according to insiders, he’s eager to stay in business with Fox, for whom he also produced 2010’s Predators.

The Picture Company’s Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman are producing the Escape From New York remake alongside StudioCanal, while original director John Carpenter will serve as an executive producer.

Luther creator Neil Cross wrote the script, and while official plot details for Snake Plissken’s latest adventure are being kept under wraps, the studio plans to follow the same formula employed by its Planet of the Apes franchise to great success.

Carpenter’s 1981 cult classic starred Kurt Russell as Plissken, a prisoner enlisted to rescue the U.S. president after his plane crashes in Manhattan, which in the future has become a maximum security prison.

The gritty material is right in Rodriguez’s wheelhouse, as he previously directed the Sin City and Machete movies, as well as Grindhouse and the Mariachi Trilogy. He’s represented by WME.
sigh. i mean, i guess if they're going to do it, he's probably a good choice.

i guess now they're pivoting to a direct sequel? still ugh.
GiantFreakinRobot wrote:Exclusive: Kurt Russell Returning For Escape From New York Sequel From Scream Directors
Kurt Russell will return as Snake Plissken in a reboot from the Radio Silence filmmaking collective.

Kurt Russell is set to return to the role of Snake Plissken for a new Escape from New York sequel by Radio Silence, the filmmaking collective behind the recent Scream reboot. According to our trusted and proven sources, the John Carpenter series is being revived with its original star, but the trio of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett, and Chad Villella will now be helming the project. This will be Kurt Russell’s third time around as Snake Plissken and the first time since 1996’s Escape from L.A.

Escape from New York was released in 1981 and was directed by John Carpenter, who also co-wrote with his friend Nick Castle (who also played the Shape/Michael Myers in the first Halloween film). Its grim combination of violent science fiction, suspense, and New York as an apocalyptic wasteland became an unexpected box office hit and changed Kurt Russell from a former Disney child star to a gritty antihero type. It is unsurprising that it would eventually be revived, particularly in a time period in which every iconic Kurt Russell role might be up for grabs.

Additionally, this would not be the first John Carpenter project to get a reboot handled by someone else. Carpenter directed only the first Halloween movie (though he remained as an occasional writer and producer), which has now become one of horror’s longest-running franchises. It makes a lot of sense that studios would begin sniffing around his other work to try to find material to reboot, especially if it has the star power of Kurt Russell behind it.

In fact, there have been plans to make a new sequel with Kurt Russell titled Escape from Earth, which would see Snake Plissken fleeing the planet in a spacecraft after activating an anti-technology doomsday device in the last moments of Escape from L.A. There is no word yet whether Radio Silence will be utilizing any elements of that idea, but John Carpenter would probably be up for it as long as the legendarily grumpy video game aficionado got a producer credit and a profit share.

It was also rumored for years that John Carpenter’s 2001 science fiction film Ghosts of Mars starring Jason Statham, Ice Cube, and Natasha Henstridge was originally intended to be an Escape from Mars movie, with Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken role being turned into Ice Cube’s Desolation Williams. While Carpenter has never publicly commented on it, that rumor was finally shut down by a blunt tweet from his producer and spouse Sandy King in 2020.

No
— Sandy King Carpenter (@stormkingskc) May 7, 2020

Whatever storyline Radio Silence comes up with and where they decide Snake Plissken should be escaping from, it will be a pleasure to see Kurt Russell back in character. Although Kurt Russell has had many iconic roles in his long career in many different franchises from Fast and Furious to Stargate to Guardians of the Galaxy, Snake Plissken may be his most beloved and influential. Given Radio Silence’s success at reviving the Scream series, we have high hopes for this turning out well.