Re: the Star Wars mega-thread

TC wrote: 01/04/22, 08:03:23 also, the thing that keeps bothering me are all the direct dune rip-offs, including the language. they couldn't come up with literally anything else besides spice as a resource on tatooine? lazy as fuck.
The spice is on Lucas, that goes back to A New Hope.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I'd pretty much completely written off anything Star Wars these days. Even Obi-wan, which should have been a slam dunk, was pretty meh. But I'm really getting into Andor. Good story, next to no Star Wars nostalgia, and it looks like Star Wars use to instead of all this cheap fake background stuff we've been getting with the other TV shows. It's a slow burn for sure, but I'm actually engrossed in what's going on and looking forward to the next episode. Which is not something I've said about a TV show in ages, muchless Star Wars. Of course there are still a lot of episodes left for them to blow it, but so far I highly recommend it.

I’ve heard that before, but this is one i’m really looking forward to seeing. Rogue One was one of the better connected SW films, even though it wasn’t exactly like the trailers made it seem it would be. Still, this looks like something “new” for the SW universe. Going to wait until the season is completed so we can watch it straight through. Glad to hear you like it.

Yup, based on ep1-4, Andor is the best SW series to date. For once the writing is solid with nice supplementary character work, a genuine sense of world-building and fewer nostalgia winks. Almost makes me want to revisit Rogue One, which was spoilt by the direction/cinematography.

Finally got around to watching Andor and agree with all of the above. I really did enjoy it. It's a more human story that doesn't require a giant leap into fantasy. There were still some silly moments, but I really did dig it. Quite looking forward to more of it. Very well done, whomever was responsible.

Ahsoka - i wasn’t sure i’d like this show, as i understand it builds on some of the animated SW stuff that i never watched, but i ended up quite enjoying it. It’s a bit uneven in parts and does have some goofy things in it, but overall it was really good. The thing is, i’m just not sure who this is for. I mean, any hardcore SW fan will watch it without question or second thought. Any casual SW fan will likely tune in as well, provided they already have Disney+, which seems likely. Any non-SW fan? I don’t see how this attracts someone not already immersed in the universe. But I guess that’s the thing with any of these parallel/expanded shows. Very tricky thing from a business perspective. But yeah, this is a well done show. I quite dug it. Do recommend checking it out if you remotely care about it. Up there with Andor/Mandalorian as far as these SW shows go.

I didn't really care for it myself. I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels so already I was like, why should I (or the characters) care about this Ezra person? They didn't really say why. For me the whole series was more of Disney showing they don't know how to pace or edit shows for television. And just poor writing. What is Thrawn's motivation? Why is he such a threat to the galaxy? Who knows! I mean, I kind of do because I read the original Zahn novels from the '90s that introduced the character, but if you're coming into the show cold, who the hell knows? We still don't even know what his motivation is for anything. And poor Ray Stevenson's character once they get to Thrawn really has nothing to do and just kind of disappears until the last shot. Also, for a show called Ahsoka, this thing is about just about everyone but her. There were a few places I kind of dug the show, but for the most part it was another Star Wars failure. Even that last season of Mando was pretty awful. They need to put the franchise out of it's misery until they can find people who know how to write.

darkness wrote: 08/10/23, 02:46:35 I didn't really care for it myself. I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels so already I was like, why should I (or the characters) care about this Ezra person? They didn't really say why. For me the whole series was more of Disney showing they don't know how to pace or edit shows for television. And just poor writing. What is Thrawn's motivation? Why is he such a threat to the galaxy? Who knows! I mean, I kind of do because I read the original Zahn novels from the '90s that introduced the character, but if you're coming into the show cold, who the hell knows? We still don't even know what his motivation is for anything. And poor Ray Stevenson's character once they get to Thrawn really has nothing to do and just kind of disappears until the last shot. Also, for a show called Ahsoka, this thing is about just about everyone but her. There were a few places I kind of dug the show, but for the most part it was another Star Wars failure. Even that last season of Mando was pretty awful. They need to put the franchise out of it's misery until they can find people who know how to write.
Haha can’t argue with any of that. Guess my expectations were zero. As we’ve discussed, that last movie did it for me. They aren’t interested in doing anything new in the SW universe, only servicing the loudest fans on the internet. The reaction by SW brass to (very incorrect) TLJ noise told me everything I needed to know. So we get this. And yes, I have no idea what the deal with Ezra or Thrawn is. I just assumed it must have been discussed on one of the other shows and I missed it/forgot (side note - people who write these spin-offs: the main show was a long fucking time ago, and there’s a long time between seasons. Either explain what’s happening or ignore and do something new), or it was on the animated stuff and they’re punishing viewers for not watching it. Shrug. I still contend there were things to like about it. Which, given the tone of our conversation, is probably bad news. Would have been better if it just completely tanked like that awful Boba Fett show.

From everything that's been said it appears Ahsoka is just another season of Rebels. So for those of us who didn't watch that animated show, which ended five years ago, there's a lot of back story we don't have.
Yeah, there were moments in Ahsoka, but they were few and far between. Again, horrible pacing.