Ant Man (Wright, 2015)

Ant-Man may be a lesser-known character in the Marvel universe, but not for much longer. As part of its presentation in Hall H at Comic-Con on Saturday night, Marvel teased test footage from the cult favorite. It looks like director Edgar Wright may have the honor of bringing Ant-Man to the big screen.

Wright joked about the "Terrence Malick approach to superhero movies" before screening a reel from an "unfinished test." In the clip, Ant-Man was seen fighting two men in a hallway. HuffPost's source on the scene described it as clearly in early stages of production.

"'Ant-Man' will kick your ass one inch at a time," Wright concluded. No one has currently been cast.

Prior to Wright's reveal, rumors ran rampant that Marvel would make an "Ant-Man" movie announcement at Comic-Con. During a Comic-Con panel for the short film "Item 47" (part of "Marvel's The Avengers" Blu-ray release), it was heavily alluded to that "Ant-Man" would be unveiled by Marvel on Saturday night.

Wright has been teasing fans for a while, and the "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" director even tweeted a photo of Ant-Man fan art back in May. The project's roots go back even further, however, with references to "Ant-Man" occurring as early as 2006. Wright wrote the script for the film with Joe Cornish ("Attack the Block").

In the Marvel universe, Ant-Man is the superhero alter ego of scientist Henry Pym, who creates a formula that shrinks him down to the size of an ant. Along with his girlfriend, Janet Van Dyne (who later became The Wasp), Ant-Man helped form the Avengers in the comic books. (Unfortunately for Ant-Man fans, that didn't happen in the recently released "Marvel's The Avengers.")
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 ... 73532.html

This is a little older than the official announcement but I put it up as it mentions the test reel Wright shot...I read a detailed description somewhere that made it sound quite cool.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Ant Man (Wright, 2015)

Good job Disney, don't want to get a test reel Wright shot that won't even be in the final movie to get around to possibly build some hype on what should be a difficult sell in the first place.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I can't believe I missed the video. Ant Man is surely the must see film of the year! Why I know when I was reading all those comics with him in them (I don't recall it, but I'm sure I must have read at least one once with him in it) the first thing I said to myself was, fuck all these other guys, this Ant dude would be an awesome motion picture! Disney doesn't need to market it, it sells itself!
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I'll have to dig up the Cracked article on the however many Most Naughty Superheroes that has some stills of Ant Man getting it on with a lady, you'll develop more respect for the little fella ;)

If anyone but Edgar Wright was involved I would be highly unimpressed. As it stands, the guy who did Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz (oh and that hipster thing we won't mention) sounds like the perfect fit to make a fun movie out of the concept. As I was saying to someone else on fb the other day, I'm probably a lot more worried about Guardians of the Galaxy and their rootin' tootin' talking raccoon. Even there, James Gunn is a fucked up enough human being that they might even pull that off.

i actually liked the DC original The Atom. the "Sword of the Atom" mini-series was good. he was pretty hardcore. ant-man was an also-ran to me. still, depending upon how this is done, it could be interesting, at least fun to watch.

@edgarwright wrote:Now I'm back in LA, it's high time to finish a little something I've been working on…
Ant-Man-BtS.jpg
Ant-Man-1-550x309.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Seriously. Not a good sign. No replacement announced yet. I thought he'd be perfect to bring a strange character like this to the screen with good humor.

James Gunn weighs in on the facebook:

Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.

It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.

And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.