Re: Ant Man (Wright, 2015)

I'm putting this up for klimov since it's clearly bothering him.
Yesterday, the shocking news dropped that Edgar Wright left Marvel's Ant-Man over creative differences. What exactly were those creative differences?

Well, after talking to sources all afternoon Friday and burning the midnight oil, I got the scoop.

For starters, let's debunk some lies that are currently making the rounds on reddit and other forums.

A) Edgar Wright got fired.

Nope. Not true at all. Get to that in a second.

B) Here is another massive lie I read...

The word from people on the crew is Wright got booted for being REALLY behind schedule and being ineffective at righting the ship and getting it back on track. Production has been bleeding money for a month and Marvel got fed up with him and they lost their confidence in his ability to manage a production of this size.
Bullshit. Not true. AT ALL.

The prep on this film has been forever and it was impossible to be behind schedule because the entire production was out on hiatus by Marvel for duration of the script's rewrite. Families left homes to work on the movie in Atlanta and were now suddenly in limbo.

So about the rewrite...

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision.

6 weeks ago Marvel took the script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft.

The script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after.

Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers. Fiege had always batted for them but this felt like it came from the higher ups.

Where does this leave the cast? Well, it is believed they don't have the option to walk like Edgar did.

That is pretty much the gist of it. I give props to Edgar for having integrity.

So what do you guys think? Chime in below and have a great holiday weekend. Any other developments on this story and I will update your guys.

Until the next episode...
http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclu ... er-ant-man
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I can't say I've cared for a single film Wright has made, and frankly I have more faith in Marvel's track record than his. The reason the Marvel films tend to be better than a lot of the other comic adaptions is because they use the best ideas from the comics themselves. So while as I stated earlier in this thread I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for an AntMan film, as someone who's enjoyed the Marvel movies so far I see this as a good development. Whomever wrote that article is clearly very pro Wright. Maybe now that Wright's out of work and might need cash the author can give him a fiver for a blowjob and make their dreams come true.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

/film wrote:Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’ Begins Production

After ten years, two directors, and several months of well-documented troubles, Ant-Man has finally gone into production. Director Peyton Reed announced the good news today.

Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas lead the Marvel movie as Scott Lang and Hank Pym, respectively, while Corey Stoll, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Peña round out the rest of the cast. Hit the jump for more details.

Reed marked the start of production on Twitter.

Shooting will reportedly begin in San Francisco, under the working title “Bigfoot,” before moving to Atlanta.

Ant-Man was originally on track to begin shooting this spring. But director Edgar Wright‘s last-minute exit threw the project for a loop. Production was delayed while Marvel scrambled to find a replacement. Ruben Fleischer, Adam McKay, and David Wain were among the filmmakers considered before Reed finally won the job.

When he dropped out, Wright (along with Joe Cornish) had been working on Ant-Man for over a decade — first with Artisan Entertainment, who held the rights at the time, and then with Marvel Studios, who officially hired him to direct in 2006.

Wright and Cornish spent the next several years developing Ant-Man even as they released other films. In 2012, Marvel got a head start on building hype by showing a reel of test footage at Comic-Con; an official release date was announced a few months later.

From there, things seemed to be going well for a while. Wright completed his script in 2013 and started putting together a top-notch cast. It therefore came as a huge shock when he left the project over creative differences, though it’s since become clear that trouble had been brewing for a while.

Rumor has it that a rewrite of Wright and Cornish’s original script was what prompted their exit. Since then, Ant-Man has undergone a couple more rewrites, first by Adam McKay and then by Gabriel Ferrari and Andrew Barrer.

So the Ant-Man going into production today isn’t exactly the same Ant-Man that Wright was supposed to start filming back in May. Nevertheless, Reed’s version of the film will retain certain elements from Wright’s version, including some of the visuals.

Which puts Reed in an awkward position. It’ll be impossible to sort out Wright’s contributions from Reed’s in the final product — and since so many fans are still upset about Wright’s departure, Reed may end up getting blamed for anything that goes wrong while Wright gets credit for anything that goes right.

But the good news for Reed is that he has almost a full year to get people to come around. And, well, that he’s directing Ant-Man. A Marvel movie is the closest thing Hollywood has to a surefire hit these days, so by this time next year he should be sitting pretty.

Ant-Man opens July 17, 2015. Here’s the synopsis:
Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
michael douglas??

And they've already released an image.

(um, yes, Michael Douglas...guy's gotta work you know)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So, anyone else having issues with the search engine? I had to look this up by 'Wright.' Anyway, first trailer gives you what you expect from Marvel, a bit of grandiosity with some humor to take the piss out of it. Hell, they turned a talking raccoon into a box office hit, if they can pull this one off then I'll probably dump my entire IRA into Disney stock and just let it balloon over the next 20 years.

[youtube][/youtube]

looks good. now i want to watch food of the gods again.

and yeah, search kind of sucks. it definitely doesn't like anything less than four letters, even if it's hyphenated. that's why i have to tag the x-men films "xmen", etc. so... ANTMAN. there.

Where's Rick Moranis?

I don't know. If there's anything we should know by now it's not to doubt Marvel and their ability to making something good out of an unlikely property and sell it. But I have to say this is the first one that I kind of thought "meh" after watching the trailer to. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Yeah, this trailer actually made me think they were going to do something decent if not great with the property. Having him hating on his own name is a pretty good running gag too.

This poster seems ant-lite to me. Where are the ants? Ants! Ants! (Sorry, channeling Kyle MacLachlan co-hosting Sprockets on SNL many moons ago).

So, just got back from a 3D screening with the family. Prices were actually decent for the 3D, but I wouldn't really recommend spending the money, you get one decent looking psychadelic sequence at the end but aside from that it's pretty pointless. It is an entertaining Marvel movie with a good sense of humor and some relatively smaller scale/stakes action, which is nice considering how often the world hangs in the balance anymore any time Marvel does its thing. You can definitely tell a variety of hands got onto this script over the years, there are some moments of somewhat herky-jerky tone here and there, and much like in the first Iron Man, there's more exposition than actual whiz-bang action. Which isn't a bad thing, they are trying to tell a story and the various character relationships are given some decent heft for this kind of thing. Everybody's well cast, Rudd's a great choice for Scott Lang. There's an unexpected delight of a fight in the middle that I won't spoil for you, but it sets some things in motion that I'm sure will be paying off in the next Cap flick. Not Marvel's best, but comfortable in its own skin and certainly better than the Thor sequel, Iron Man 2, etc.