Re: American Horror Story (FX)

One of the things I love about AHS is that it jumps the shark by about 10 minutes into the pilot, so they've never really had anywhere to go but up at any given time. That and I don't take the show too seriously or expect much from it aside from cheap thrills and fun references, so it's all good by me.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Anyone give Scream Queens a shot? Hate to admit it but I enjoyed it.
I'd never heard of this show but a quick google search shows a picture Ariana "taco" Grande so no sale. I still wish I had smacked that whiney little bitch when I had the chance.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

dude... got caught up on this show over the weekend. holy shit, i've never seen a show this absolutely batshit crazy on TV before. the first two episodes were completely insane, and the "devil's night" episode was a great idea that i can't believe they were actually allowed to execute. it's completely disorienting, too - not just the story, the writing, the hotel itself, but the way it's shot - lots of fisheye, long lenses, etc. just really wacko show, with very minimal central "plot" like the other seasons have had. really kind of surprised me.

Yeah, this has quickly become one of my favorite seasons of theirs, and a smart/fun way to backdoor a vampire story into the mythology without just doing AHS: VAMPIRES.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

so i guess we're just not going to talk about roanoke? am i the only one that watched it? here's my breakdown quick takes:
E1-E5: holy shit this is probably the best horror that's ever been on TV. dark, suspenseful... really good.
E6: wait... what? they're really going to do this?
E7: oh, ok... well, this could be interesting.
E8-9: holy fuck, this is... wow. the directors really hate these people.
E10: really? that's how it's ending?

while the back half of the season was kind of out of left field and had 3-4 different things happening with lots of wtf why moments, it was interesting to say the least. but i still maintain that the first half of this season was fantastic by any measure.

I liked all of it. A rip roaring good time with found footage and reality t.v., with loads of really over the top violent horror. Appropriate ending for the mother and daughter--there is a through line story that holds it together, as much as everything else creates a distraction from it. Murphy has stated he will continue to feature actresses over 40 to make a statement to Hollywood, and I admire that. Jen Lynch's episode was really solid, as were the ones written by Minear. My only worry is that with him going to be one of the main writers on the new Murphy show Rivals, we may get a downtick in quality next season. Minear's not a showrunner but his fingerprints are all over this series, for the better.

I stopped watching when they did started the reality return to the scene stuff. I'm sure I'll finish it one of these days, but it didn't really make me eager to watch. I hate the reality/found footage thing, and watching a bunch of winy actors get killed is only so amusing.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Rewatched the first three episodes of the series with my kid the other day (a few uncomfortable moments!), had forgotten how strong a start the whole thing had.