Re: Mission: Impossible

I don't understand what the excitement is with IMAX for Hollywood films. Unless it was shot in Imax there's little point. And most Imax digital systems are only 2k to start with. Whereas Christie and Sony and a lot of the other systems out there widely in use now are 4k. In many cases you're probably getting better resolution in a standard digital theater than you are in the Imax ones.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

this movie was great fun. that plane sequence is the first shot of the film and it keeps going from there. i'd easily see it again. there was only one section where i remember thinking to myself that it's really slowing down here but by the time i finished my thought it was racing again. and of course while there is a lot of "magical tech" happening, overall the plot actually makes sense and is relatively easy to follow. also, i love simon pegg.

I finally watched Dead Reckoning over the holidays. It actually wasn't too bad. Despite the long run time it never seemed to drag. Decent action sequences. The AI thing is kind of silly, but at least it's something different. Most of these Mission Impossible films are kind of forgettable after you watch them and this one is no exception. But there are worse ways to spend three hours.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

agree with you guys here - i was excited to see this, given all the hype around Cruise doing the stunts, etc. and man do those stunts deliver. this is essentially one long stuntman sizzle reel. i don't think there were any of the minutes in this long film devoted to any real character development. i didn't care about any of them, let alone know who was who or what was supposed to be their relationship, etc. thankfully, none of that really mattered. this was purely a stunt piece extravaganza, and i'm here for it. very intense sequences, high-adrenaline pacing, extremely well done. have to say that while it's insanely impressive that 60 year old Tom Cruise does what he does, i think it's about time for his tenure as Ethan Hunt to end. hopefully it does after part 2 of this. it's just disconcerting watching him do some of this stuff. i find myself thinking that that crazy old man is going to hurt himself, which kind of takes me out of it. i can't be the only one. so, hopefully it ends high and he can look back on this incredible run of stunt reels passing for films fondly. he's certainly done something that no one else has ever done with this, and it's a fantastic feather in his cap. he's a force of nature and something we're not likely to see again in our lifetimes, i think. doesn't make this a great film. fun, yes. great film, no.