Mission: Impossible

the only one i've seen of these is 3, mostly because of the people in it not named tom cruise, and it was pretty cool...
IMDB wrote:Cruise Set For Fourth Mission: Impossible

Tom Cruise has signed up to reprise his producing role for the fourth Mission: Impossible movie.

The actor has starred as secret agent Ethan Hunt in all three movies of the action franchise, and has co-produced the trilogy, which has grossed $1.4 billion (£930 million) worldwide.

And while Cruise has not yet confirmed he will take on the tough guy role again, he is re-teaming with director J.J. Abrams to co-produce the fourth instalment, which is slated for a 2011 release.
Last edited by TC on 26/01/15, 16:49:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleting "4" from the subject and designating this the all M:I thread.

Re: Mission: Impossible 4

1st one is a typical latter day DePalma misfire, 2nd is a pretty insipid John Woo stylistic wankfest, 3rd is simplistic in story but easily what the series was gunning for from the get-go. Cruise said around the 2nd that he'd like to have a different director for each one to capture a different feel every time out, but the bit I read on this said he's pressuring JJ to direct again as he's probably figured out what we're saying, III was easily the best. At some point, JJ is going to have to get out of the business of sequels and reboots if he wants to get to the top tier of action directors, he's done marginally better at that on the small screen (Alias being derivative but an original entry in the spy/action genre, LOST being completely badass sci-fi even though he bailed on it early).
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I agree that III was the best, though when you really look at it it was just a better than average episode of Alias with Tom Cruise instead of Jennifer Garner. Not saying it was awful, but it also wasn't anything too special. I guess I'm indifferent over this news. I'm sure given the boxoffice of Trek they'll try to pressure Abrams into doing MI3.

You have to admit, in the history of land deals, Paramount buying the Desilu Studios because it was next door and they needed the land to expand goes down as one of the most profitable in history. They didn't even really care about Desilu's assets yet wound up with two properties that would become their biggest franchises, Trek and MI.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Can't be any worse than Knight and Day. This one's got Jeremy Renner in it... though I'm disappointed that this suddenly in-demand actor is wasting his time in silly action franchises.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Didn't I put the trailer link up a while back? My bad, looks fun and as it's directed by Brad Bird, the director of quite possibly the best superhero movie ever (The Incredibles), I'm in for the overpriced ticket and the ridiculously overpriced snacks. As far as Renner goes, he's a character actor who has x number of movies to make his bank and cement a place in character actor heaven out in Hollywood, I don't fault him for doing shit like this and the Avengers and whatnot. Terrible as it is to say, he's going to be squat pile of aging nervous ticks before you know it, so he should enjoy the opportunity while he can.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Oh yeah.
A trusted theater (read: exhibitor) source has just exclusively alerted /Film that Warner Bros. plans to attach a six minute prologue to The Dark Knight Rises to all IMAX prints of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Christopher Nolan‘s third film in his Batman trilogy is being released by Warner Bros. and Brad Bird‘s first live action film is Paramount, but the arrangement would certainly be mutually beneficial as Mission: Impossible is the biggest IMAX release of the holiday season. Putting a teaser for The Dark Knight Rises in front of it would certainly drive audiences to that format as opposed to regular theaters. There’s more after the break.
Warner Bros. did something similar in 2007 when they attached the opening sequence to The Dark Knight to the Will Smith film I Am Legend. Without one of their own films being released in IMAX later this year, however, Mission: Impossible should draw in the same coveted 18-35 demo that are sure to be repeat Batman viewers. Nolan and Bird both also shot extensive scenes for each movie in IMAX, making it their format of choice for exhibition.

If this happens, audiences would get their first chance at seeing The Dark Knight Rises footage in IMAX on December 16. That’s because Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is opening exclusively in IMAX five days before its general release, which is on December 21. The exclusive opening is one reason to see the film in IMAX. The full scenes shot in IMAX format are another. And 8 minutes from the most anticipated film of this decade are a serious bonus.

Reached for contact, Warner Bros. declined to comment on this story but First Showing confirmed our report. So what do you think? Odds are you were going to see Mission: Impossible either way, but will you go now specifically for The Dark Knight Rises?

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-8-minute ... %2FFilm%29

Odds are you were going to see Mission: Impossible either way
Ummm... what?
but will you go now specifically for The Dark Knight Rises?
No.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

saw this last night. i thought it was really cool, fun as hell. some clumsy editing, some plot holes ("ok, it works but the numbers are reversed. no time to discuss, have to move on to next scene, guess it will fix itself!"), but who gives a fuck in something like this? i liked it better than the first three, really. ending was really, really cheesy and unnecessary though.

I still maintain the 3rd was the best. This is a flawless action setpiece delivery device, true, but it's utterly hollow. At least that was my impression coming out of it. The third had the setpieces and at least made some effort at a story that involved some emotional investment.

I gotta go with the fourth one being best. It was the most well rounded, giving the whole team things to do and wasn't just the Tom Cruise show. And it seemed like they relied the least on easy out gadgets this time. But I do think the third one was probably a close second.

Mission: Impossible 5

DH wrote:"Mission: Impossible 5" Moves Up Five Months

In a truly exciting piece of news, Paramount Pictures has moved up the release date of the fifth "Mission: Impossible" movie - going a full five months earlier than originally planned.

Originally slated for a December 25th release this year, the movie will now hit the big screen on July 31st. As a result the part CG-animated/part live-action family film "Monster Trucks," which was slated for May 29th, will now hit at Christmas.

The fifth 'Mission' went into production some time ago, and post-production must be proceeding ahead of schedule in order for the Christopher McQuarrie-directed entry to be able to hit that earlier date.

Re: Mission: Impossible 5

The fifth 'Mission' went into production some time ago, and post-production must be proceeding ahead of schedule in order for the Christopher McQuarrie-directed entry to be able to hit that earlier date.
Or they don't want to be crushed by Star Wars.

Re: Mission: Impossible 5

O-dot wrote:
Or they don't want to be crushed by Star Wars.
Ding Ding Ding!

Re: Mission: Impossible

It'll be interesting to see how Star Wars does really. The prequels have gone a long way to tarnish the brand. The fan base who was jazzed when Menace came out is now both a lot older and jaded from having their childhood ass raped by Lucas multiple times. And when you look at the prequels even Phantom Menace didn't entirely crush everything the weekend it came out. What it did have was long staying power though as people went to see it over and over again unable to believe how bad it actually was (I was one of them). There's not the pent up anticipation for more Star Wars there was back then. For the younger generation it's just another big special effects film like a lot of others. It didn't define their childhood like it did for a lot of us. I'm not saying it's going to be a flop by any means. I just wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't crush everything in it's wake.

Star Wars is pretty massive with the kids in our area, there's anticipation for the new film already. Batman, Spiderman, Avengers and TMNT are popular too, but that's not really about the films at all but about the associated merchandise. Ergo, I can't think of another 20th century film franchise that has carried over to the next generation as well as Star Wars, unless you count Toy Story. Disney know how to spend their money, I guess.

IMAX
'[url=http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/35804/-mission-impossible-5-gets-an-imax-release]DH[/url] wrote:"Mission: Impossible 5" Gets An IMAX Release

Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, Bad Robot and Imax released the announcement today that "Mission: Impossible 5" will hit IMAX screens at the same time it hits regular cinemas on July 31st.

The film's leading man and producer Tom Cruise says: "Imax is so important in giving the audience the best experience of the film we have made".

The announcement comes two weeks after Paramount moved the Christopher McQuarrie-directed film's release date forward by a full five months from its originally scheduled Christmas Day release. No official stills or trailers have yet been released though are expected shortly.