Re: [Movie] Indianna Jones IV

After delving into the depths of the Internet, I learned Raiders was released on VHS in December 1983 — when I was 6. I didn't see it in theaters and I'm sure Temple of Doom hadn't been out yet.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Raiders in IMAX is completely pointless - a good 35mm PRINT doing the rounds would be nice though... SIGH...

Btw, can't believe the price of the fuckin' blu-ray set!!! And they'd have to pay ME to own The Crystal Skull, so looks like I'll be waiting a while (only want the first two).

klimov wrote: can't believe the price of the fuckin' blu-ray set!!! And they'd have to pay ME to own The Crystal Skull, so looks like I'll be waiting a while (only want the first two).
Amazon is asking $68.99 for the set. Sheeeeit. That's a chunk of money for 3 films that are decades old and one that isn't but isn't worth the disc space it's burned on.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I'd only be interested in the first two anyway. And with their fairly constant rotation on one cable channel or another, they're not that hard to catch.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Star Wars Episode VII

Ford wasn't the problem with the 4th Indy picture. The politics were the biggest flaw - Indy is supposed to fight nazis, not communists - and then you had the CGI, nuking the safe, Shia LaBouf... Nope, Ford certainly wasn't the problem.

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

klimov wrote:Indy is supposed to fight nazis, not communists - and then you had the CGI, nuking the safe, Shia LaBouf... Nope, Ford certainly wasn't the problem.
Let's be precise, he wasn't fighting ALL the students of Marx, just the Soviets. ;-)

Their fighting Commies and a sci-fi element were fine for updating his old ass to the cold war era 50s (unless you're personally offended by Communists being represented as bad guys), they just weren't well used.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

No, it changes everything. Nazis are the ultimate go-to bad guys because there's no controversy, it's not a question of picking sides. Right from the fucking flag in the opening shot, Crystal Skull is a different beast altogether - Indy is no longer fighting for humanity and human decency, he's fighting for AMERICA. Have a feeling we may have had this conversation a few years ago, earlier in the thread...

Probably. Sounds like a supremely boring exercise to rehash. In any case, I didn't have a problem with a few of the broad concepts given Indy's age, but the age of Spielberg and Lucas is what sunk the whole thing. Probably just a poor idea in the first place. Good news is, if 70 year old Ford is going to wrapped up with another Star Wars movie we are virtually assured no more Indiana Jones movies.

Alexhead wrote:Good news is, if 70 year old Ford is going to wrapped up with another Star Wars movie we are virtually assured no more Indiana Jones movies.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I wouldn't be surprised if, given the age of the original Star Wars cast, they put them all in but made the main story about a new group of people to help keep future films going. Remember, Han was supposed to die in Return of the Jedi and Ford has always said he regretted that he didn't. I can see Abrams killing him off, maybe even earlier in the film.
The bigger reason we're probably not going to see any new Indy films is that while Disney has the property, Paramount has the distribution and home video rights for future films. And Marshall and Kennedy have both said they thought Crystal Skull was about all there was left for Indy. I think at this point if one is made it'll only be because a bean counter somewhere has figured out how to still make a buck off it and forces it to happen. But the combined clout of Speilberg, Lucas, Kennedy and Ford are probably enough that it won't happen unless they really, really want it to.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Good news is, if 70 year old Ford is going to wrapped up with another Star Wars movie we are virtually assured no more Indiana Jones movies.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I wouldn't be surprised if, given the age of the original Star Wars cast, they put them all in but made the main story about a new group of people to help keep future films going. Remember, Han was supposed to die in Return of the Jedi and Ford has always said he regretted that he didn't. I can see Abrams killing him off, maybe even earlier in the film.
The bigger reason we're probably not going to see any new Indy films is that while Disney has the property, Paramount has the distribution and home video rights for future films. And Marshall and Kennedy have both said they thought Crystal Skull was about all there was left for Indy. I think at this point if one is made it'll only be because a bean counter somewhere has figured out how to still make a buck off it and forces it to happen. But the combined clout of Speilberg, Lucas, Kennedy and Ford are probably enough that it won't happen unless they really, really want it to.
As long as there are reasons, whatever they may be, for no more Indy, I can sleep at night 8) And yes, if JJ has a pair they will knock off Han, or Luke, or Leia. I wouldn't exactly mind seeing R2 blown into a million pieces at this point, truth be told.

The 5 year old in me wants R2 to stay around because he was such a fun action figure. Especially when they made the one with the pop out lightsaber. And let's be honest, that's the reason these films exist, to make cool toys. :)

darkness wrote:The 5 year old in me wants R2 to stay around because he was such a fun action figure. Especially when they made the one with the pop out lightsaber. And let's be honest, that's the reason these films exist, to make cool toys. :)
Oh yes, they do. We have a couple of small lego versions, they do the trick.

Rumor is Chris Pratt is in talks to start in Indy 5 (or whatever they call it). I'm assuming they'll go reboot and have him take over the Indy role instead of a pass the torch thing. Unless he's Mutt all grown up or something. I don't know, part of the fun of the character is that he tends to be a fairly dry, humorless person who gets thrown into this crazy situations. I don't see Pratt pulling that off. Still, I suppose if they're going to milk the character more that's probably better than 80 year old Harrison Ford fighting off Nazis with his walker.