Re: [Movie] Indianna Jones IV

Alexhead wrote:If this rift has permanently ended the franchise, then Shia has at least got to be commended for that.
Shia is replaceable. Ford is not. If there's anything to be learned from the Megan Fox replacement it's that angering the Spielberg god will get you a one way ticket to oblivion. I'm sure they'll inflict a Shialess Indy 5 on us sooner or later. If only they could get Lucas to keep his hands out of it this time.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

a short interview with spielberg - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... dge-253769

highlights:
[Spielberg] says even though people blame producer George Lucas for the scene where Indy hides in a refrigerator to avoid a nuclear explosion, the idea was really his.

"Blame me. Don't blame George. That was my silly idea. People stopped saying 'jump the shark'. They now say, 'nuked the fridge'. I'm proud of that. I'm glad I was able to bring that into popular culture."

However, Spielberg is not as proud of the aliens that appear at the end of the film.

"I sympathize with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in -- even if I don't believe in it -- I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it. I'll add my own touches, I'll bring my own cast in, I'll shoot the way I want to shoot it, but I will always defer to George as the storyteller of the Indy series. I will never fight him on that."
and my favorite unintentionally hilarious quote:
George is in charge of breaking the stories. He's done it on all four movies. Whether I like the stories or not, George has broken all the stories. He is working on Indy V. We haven't gone to screenplay yet, but he's working on the story. I'll leave it to George to come up with a good story.
oh yeah, he's absolutely nails at breaking stories alright...

See, in the goofy world of Indiana Jones, I had no problem with the fridge, I thought it was a good gag. And quite frankly I had no problem with the MacGuffin of having it be aliens. Again, goofy world of Indiana Jones, referencing the paranoid sci fi/commie metaphor thrillers of the 50s, no problem with George's idea (and this is not news that it was his idea, Spielberg talked about it at some length when the movie came out). It was the miserable execution and effects that sunk it all.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I thought the story of Indy IV was just all over the place, and no, I wasn't a big fan of the aliens, though it wasn't the worst offense. Just bite the bullet and bring back Lawrence Kasdan. Empire and Raiders...need I say more?

Raiding The Lost Ark

this is a perfect thread for today's find. check out the first 17 minutes of "Raiding the Lost Ark":

[edit - video has been removed - 7/3/23]

this is truly awesome. just amazing. this is exactly how ALL film "commentary"/supplementary tracks should be done - with interviews & footage/facts from the time, not revisionist history years later. can't wait for the rest of it!!

Indiana Jones films on blu-ray

Finally hitting this year...
The man with the hat is back – and looking better than ever! The world’s favorite globe-trotting archaeologist is, at long last, embarking on his greatest adventure – when 'The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Media Distribution. 'The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection' will be excavated in the fall of 2012 and will include all four of Indy’s thrilling adventures, using the highest possible high definition picture and audio presentation – along with a “best of” collection of documentaries, interviews, featurettes and a few new surprises.

Specs and supplements have yet to be detailed, and suggested list price looks to be $99.99.

i knew the BR was happening, but did NOT know they're putting raiders back in theters - IMAX even. stoked!!!! now THAT i will go see!
raiders_of_the_lost_ark_ver6_xxlg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My 6 year old likes what he's seen but I haven't shown him the end yet, I guess I can take comfort in the fact that he'll be 7 when he sees it...oh hell he likes the dark shit anyway, I saw it when I was 7 and I turned out OK, right? :twisted:
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."