Indiana Jones mega thread

Empire Online wrote:In news that will give even your Granny confidence, Steven Spielberg has confirmed that Sir Sean Connery will reprise his role as Jones Sr in the next instalment of Indy's adventures.

Upping the average age of the cast by a couple of decades while injecting his inimitable class and charisma, the least 72-year-old Connery will do is make Harrison Ford look a little more sprightly. Faced with Indy's daily trials of an outsized polystyrene ball, a Nazi thug half his age and a lovely leading lady to cop off with, at 60 years strong Ford will certainly have his work cut out.

And if evil Nazi henchmen and age-old curses weren't enough, Indy's going to have to cope with a phalanx of ex's too, if Spielberg's other comments to the Chicago Sun Times were anything to go by. The bookish lothario will be faced with the ghosts of girlfriends past as his former lovers, including Marion from the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, pop up in the new film. Spielberg commented "I'd like to get Karen Allen back for one soundbite and there are other Indy girls who had smaller roles who will come back." But what about Mrs Spielberg herself? Kate Capshaw aka Willie Scott from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom may not be returning in front of her hubbie's camera. Spielberg explained, "Frank Darabont, who is writing the script, called me and said, 'I'm not sure we can work her into the script too'".
Last edited by TC on 03/07/23, 07:23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged all Indy threads, updated title (was Indianna Jones IV)

Re: [Movie] Indianna Jones IV

TC wrote:
Empire Online wrote:In news that will give even your Granny confidence, Steven Spielberg has confirmed that Sir Sean Connery will reprise his role as Jones Sr in the next instalment of Indy's adventures.

Upping the average age of the cast by a couple of decades while injecting his inimitable class and charisma, the least 72-year-old Connery will do is make Harrison Ford look a little more sprightly. Faced with Indy's daily trials of an outsized polystyrene ball, a Nazi thug half his age and a lovely leading lady to cop off with, at 60 years strong Ford will certainly have his work cut out.

And if evil Nazi henchmen and age-old curses weren't enough, Indy's going to have to cope with a phalanx of ex's too, if Spielberg's other comments to the Chicago Sun Times were anything to go by. The bookish lothario will be faced with the ghosts of girlfriends past as his former lovers, including Marion from the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, pop up in the new film. Spielberg commented "I'd like to get Karen Allen back for one soundbite and there are other Indy girls who had smaller roles who will come back." But what about Mrs Spielberg herself? Kate Capshaw aka Willie Scott from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom may not be returning in front of her hubbie's camera. Spielberg explained, "Frank Darabont, who is writing the script, called me and said, 'I'm not sure we can work her into the script too'".
Groan. Let's just have us a DVD of Raiders already, for chrissakes.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Indy on DVD

From DVDfile.com
"No time for love, Dr. Jones!" - 1:09am

Sick of waiting for the Indiana Jones trilogy to finally be released on DVD? Well, you might not have to wait much longer...er, sorta. Indy helmer Steven Spielberg recently spoke with the Wall Street Journal about his upcoming projects, including the long-in-development Indiana Jones 4, as well as the original trilogy on DVD.

"We're aiming for next fall." Spielberg was quoted as saying. "George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount. Paramount wants to come out with all three movies in one package. George and I want to come out with one film at a time and then come out with all three movies, and maybe even the fourth one, in one package later."

While a Paramount spokesperson quickly followed up with a public statement that there is no argument, only that "Discussions are ongoing," I think I have to side with the studio on this one. Am I the only one who would rather buy one big set than have to buy each flick one at a time, then rebuy 'em all later? Better yet, how about doing both? Release all three individually or as a set, take your pick. (And come to think of it, do I really want to see a 60 year-old-plus Harrison Ford in an Indy 4, complete with wheelchair and bullwhip? Not really.) Watch this space for news as it comes in...
I'd say just release Raiders... I'd probably only get the other two in a bargain bin.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

i like the second one. there's a bit too much comic relief, but short round (data, to us goonies) was great, and the whole plot is really dark. excellent evil soundtrack. and the third one, while epic, was still going through the motions a bit. but i'd watch all of them, while agreeing whole-heartedly that raiders stands as the best.

TC wrote:i like the second one. there's a bit too much comic relief, but short round (data, to us goonies) was great, and the whole plot is really dark. excellent evil soundtrack. and the third one, while epic, was still going through the motions a bit. but i'd watch all of them, while agreeing whole-heartedly that raiders stands as the best.
I'd grown up on the Indy movies, like Star Wars. Then of course as I got older years went by without watching them. When I finally saw them again in the past couple of years, I disappointedly realized that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade hadn't aged well at all. Raiders, on the other hand, felt like it'd just been made last year. I really can't get more detailed than that. The sequels felt just like that: sequels, something made to cash in on a popular original.

BTW, TC, Book of Shadows is on cable at the moment... explain to me again what it is I'm missing about this?

O-dot wrote:BTW, TC, Book of Shadows is on cable at the moment... explain to me again what it is I'm missing about this?
i really dig book of shadows, watched the last half of it the other day (on cable) again and it's just a dark, mentally twisted movie. just forget the first one, take it on it's own, and ignore the marilyn manson bookends and you'll be fine. the ending is especially nice, IMHO. it's one of those that i could watch whenever it's on (but after subsequent viewings, i could do w/o minutes 5-22)...

TC wrote:
O-dot wrote:BTW, TC, Book of Shadows is on cable at the moment... explain to me again what it is I'm missing about this?
i really dig book of shadows, watched the last half of it the other day (on cable) again and it's just a dark, mentally twisted movie. just forget the first one, take it on it's own, and ignore the marilyn manson bookends and you'll be fine. the ending is especially nice, IMHO. it's one of those that i could watch whenever it's on (but after subsequent viewings, i could do w/o minutes 5-22)...
Hrm, well in the ending it's kind of cool because Berlinger stages the scene with the kids being cuffed and led into police station just like the last sequence of Paradise Lost. Which, by the way, is not a very popular film around here in Rednekistan since it's about local events... :roll:

Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs

From digitalbits:

Word has reached us from a number of independent industry and retail sources that Paramount is preparing their announcement of the Indiana Jones Trilogy DVD box set. The buzz is that the studio will make the news official in the next few weeks. Our sources are telling us that the set will be 4 discs in all - 1 each for the films (all in anamorphic widescreen) along with a 4th disc of bonus content. The films will reportedly only be available in the box set. And the set is expected to see worldwide release in November. Thanks to everyone who's sent in information on this. Keep in mind, that this is still very much in the rumor stage. But even the various talent involved has confirmed that the DVDs are in the works, so we felt it important to post this information as a sort of heads-up. Of course, we'll post any and all official news on this release in the daily column the moment it comes in. Stay tuned...

Re: Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs

darkness wrote:From digitalbits:
Word has reached us from a number of independent industry and retail sources that Paramount is preparing their announcement of the Indiana Jones Trilogy DVD box set. The buzz is that the studio will make the news official in the next few weeks. Our sources are telling us that the set will be 4 discs in all - 1 each for the films (all in anamorphic widescreen) along with a 4th disc of bonus content. The films will reportedly only be available in the box set. And the set is expected to see worldwide release in November. Thanks to everyone who's sent in information on this. Keep in mind, that this is still very much in the rumor stage. But even the various talent involved has confirmed that the DVDs are in the works, so we felt it important to post this information as a sort of heads-up. Of course, we'll post any and all official news on this release in the daily column the moment it comes in. Stay tuned...
I'm drooling at the thought. Amazing how current, crap movies (and TV shows for that matter) are released in six months tops, where the "classics" are taking forever.

darkness wrote:From digitalbits:

So I guess we'll just cross our fingers and hope Spielberg and Lucas didn't dicker with these movies a la ET and the other trilogy.

Storm13 wrote:I'm drooling at the thought. Amazing how current, crap movies (and TV shows for that matter) are released in six months tops, where the "classics" are taking forever.
The reason the film to DVD release window is so short for current films is that dvd production now is done right along with making the film, as soon as the finished cut is done it goes straight to making a hi-def master. Most of the time the finished dvd, extras and all, is done within a week of the film opening. Whereas with older catalog titles, they have to try to find the best elements available, do any clean up work required on it and then make a new master. Then if any extras are to be included, they have to chase down and interview all concerned parties for docs and find other extra materials. That's a lot more time consuming than on new films, when they can interview everyone right on set, and gather other promotional materials then as well.

O-dot wrote:So I guess we'll just cross our fingers and hope Spielberg and Lucas didn't dicker with these movies a la ET and the other trilogy.
At least Spielberg still released the original ET on DVD, he didn't say it'd never see the light of day again like Lucas has done with the original SW trilogy.

Official Indy Jones DVD press release

INDIANA JONES, World’s Favorite Action-Adventure Hero,
Comes to DVD for the First Time in
Four-Disc Set Premiering Worldwide Nov. 4

The Adventures of Indiana Jones – The Complete DVD Movie Collection
Offers Digitally Restored and Re-Mastered Versions of
All Three Films and Hours of Bonus Materials

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (May 6, 2003) – Indiana Jones is back.

His name alone is enough to conjure up exciting images of daring, exotic adventures. He is the ultimate hero. And on Nov. 4, he’s coming to the ultimate home-entertainment format.

Two of the world’s most acclaimed filmmakers, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, and one of the most popular movie stars of all time, Harrison Ford, have worked with Paramount Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. to create an unprecedented DVD event. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are among the most-requested DVD titles in history, and with the release THE ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES – THE COMPLETE DVD MOVIE COLLECTION on Nov. 4, movie lovers can relive all of the excitement, romance, danger and spectacle of this unforgettable trilogy.

Each film has had its image meticulously restored with THX digital remastering and sports a new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Available in both widescreen and full-screen versions, there is no suggested retail price but the collection is anticipated to be available for approximately $49.95 in the U.S. (international prices will vary).

But the fun doesn’t stop when the films are over – because Paramount and Lucasfilm have teamed up to create a spectacular bonus disc loaded with special features produced especially for this DVD collection. It includes newly produced, exclusive documentaries that explore the making of these memorable films, including brand-new interviews with the cast and crew – including Spielberg, Ford and Lucas – plus scores of other surprises from all three films.

"Paramount and Lucasfilm have joined forces to create the ultimate Indiana Jones experience for the millions of fans who have made Indiana Jones such an indelible part of movie history for more than two decades," said Thomas Lesinski, Worldwide President of Paramount Home Entertainment. "During the development of this terrific DVD collection, we discovered that the appeal of the Indiana Jones property has never been stronger around the world, and that the Indiana Jones boxed set is the most highly anticipated DVD release of the year."

Paramount and Lucasfilm also scoured their archives to find just the right material to add to the DVD. "We knew we had to deliver the goods Indy fans wanted with a quality beyond anything they expected," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "In addition to the films themselves, of course, this collection explores every facet of how the films were made – from stunts to visual effects to the music and sound. We take viewers around the world to explore the history behind the Indiana Jones legends. It’s been great to work with Steven and George on a project that means so much to them, and having them involved on the DVD collection really makes it special."

Including the films, THE ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES – THE COMPLETE DVD MOVIE COLLECTION offers more than 10 hours of entertainment.

Each of the three films in THE ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES – THE COMPLETE DVD MOVIE COLLECTION was painstakingly restored by Lowry Digital Images – the film industry’s most noted preservationists – whose work has included such classics as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Sunset Boulevard.

Disc 1 offers the completely remastered Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. On Disc 2 is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, while Disc 3 offers Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Disc 4, which holds the bonus material, sports brand-new artwork by renowned movie-poster designer Drew Struzan.

The three Indiana Jones films, which will be available only as a collection, also feature Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. (Sound and subtitling specifications vary internationally by territory.)

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) has a running time of 115 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) has a running time of 118 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) has a running time of 126 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG-13.

For even more information about the adventures of Indiana Jones, visit http://www.indianajones.com.

Visit http://www.paramount.com/homeentertainment to learn more about Paramount Home Entertainment’s new releases, as well as other classic Hollywood films, television programs, animated titles and family and special-interest programming. Paramount Home Entertainment is part of the operations of Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the world’s leading film and entertainment companies. Founded by George Lucas in 1971, it is a privately held, fully integrated entertainment company. In addition to its motion picture and television productions, the company’s global businesses include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound; LucasArts Entertainment; Lucas Licensing; and Lucas Online. Lucasfilm’s feature films have won 19 Oscars and its television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards.

Re: Official Indy Jones DVD press release

Disc 1 offers the completely remastered Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) has a running time of 115 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG.

Are they STILL trying to get us to call it by this phony title? This doesn't bode well for our hopes that these movies haven't been dickered with by Spielberg and Lucas.

Re: Official Indy Jones DVD press release

O-dot wrote: Are they STILL trying to get us to call it by this phony title? This doesn't bode well for our hopes that these movies haven't been dickered with by Spielberg and Lucas.
Well, this statement was in a USA today story today about the release:

"When Spielberg edited ET the Extra-Terrestrial last year for the long-awaited DVD release, he digitally removed some guns because of the film's young audience. But no changes were made to the Indy series."

So there's hope that it'll be all there. My guess is if they change anything it'll be the title logo, but I suspect it'll stay the way it always was. Hopefully the "Indiana Jones and the.." part of the title is just being used in marketing and on the box art, not in the film itself.

Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD change

At least it's a minor one. I don't really have a problem with it. From digitalbits:
Also we've got another Indy tidbit for you. Word is, Spielberg is making one single change to the original Raiders of the Lost Ark (whoops... maybe that should be two, since they've also changed the name to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). And if this is true, the change could easily fall into the "digital cleaning and re-mastering" category. Remember that shot where Indy falls into the snake pit, and you briefly see reflections on the glass that's protecting Harrison Ford's face from the snakes? Well... our sources are telling us those reflections are being digitally removed from the shot so you can't see the glass. While there will no doubt be purists who get tweaked by this, we think most people will appreciate the fixed effect.

Anyway, remember that this is tentative information, so digest accordingly.