People like Martin Scorsese, Ang Lee and Alfonso Cuaron are artistically using that third dimension versus studios forcing filmmakers to do post-conversion where the shots weren't composed with 3D in mind and it just doesn't feel right."
And then Scorsese and Ridley Scott made non-3D films for their follow-up projects after loudly yammering that they'd never make a 2D film again.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

is there any part of the world that you want to explore that you have not already?
--[–]jamescameronama
Personally, there are places under the antarctic ice that I'd like to look at, there's some interesting biomes there. In terms of cities, there are many cities that I would love to see. I haven't spent as much time in Asia and the Middle East as I would like to. Europa, would love to see Europa, or Titan. I would settle for Mars.
------[–]MozTS
that escalated quickly
------------[–]CharadeParade
I would love to go to the middle east sometime. Or saturn.
hahahaha!

Yahoo wrote:'Avatar' Will Be Ava-tardy: James Cameron Says First Sequel Delayed Until 2017

Director James Cameron said Wednesday that writing three Avatar sequels is such a complex job he’s delaying the first new film a year and it will now be released in late 2017.

Cameron plans to film the highly-anticipated sequels at one time and then release the three films over consecutive years.

The first had been due in late 2016, but he said the writing process had proved to be “very involved” and that the initial target date was probably too ambitious.

"There’s a layer of complexity in getting the story to work as a saga across three films that you don’t get when you’re making a stand-alone film," he said in Wellington, New Zealand, where he was helping promote the local film industry with other directors including Peter Jackson.

Cameron said the goal was to have the three scripts completed this month. He’s leading the writing team.

"We’re writing three simultaneously. And we’ve done that so that everything tracks throughout the three films. We’re not just going to do one and then make up another one and another one after that," he said. "And parallel with that, we’re doing all the design. So we’ve designed all the creatures and the environments."

Cameron said he thought it was important that each film linked forward to the next one in a satisfying way but also came to a resolution so that the audience wasn’t left hanging.

Released in 2009, Avatar is the highest-grossing film in history, with a box office take of nearly $2.8 billion. It was named best drama at the Golden Globes and won Academy Awards for cinematography, visual effects and art direction.

Cameron shot the original movie in New Zealand and is planning to shoot the sequels there.

Producer Jon Landau, who is working with Cameron on the movies, said the team is taking greater security precautions following the recent hack against Sony: “I will only say ‘yes’ but will not tell you how,” he joked.

The films will be made by Lightstorm Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox.

Seriously. Based on the box office take I'm sure there are many looking forward to this trilogy, but I sure as hell ain't one of them.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

O-dot wrote:"He’s leading the writing team." The most frightening sentence in the English language.
Not at all. Cameron only steals his stories from the best. Just ask Harlan Ellison.
Alexhead wrote:Seriously. Based on the box office take I'm sure there are many looking forward to this trilogy, but I sure as hell ain't one of them.
I'm betting the success of the first one was due to it having a lot of buzz for the "new innovative" 3d. Now that 3d is kind of old hat and the novelty has worn off, I have a feeling the sequel will be a modest success at best.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Yep, exactly. 3D was a big part of the original buzz, and yet Cameron didn't even really know how to use it (he's since been trounced by Gravity). These could flop pretty badly. And yeah, I don't know what happened to Cameron either. Terminator and Aliens are two of the best action movies ever made and then he just lost his edge somehow, each picture a little bit worse than the last, lost in a world of bloated screenplays, saccharine sentiment and second-rate CGI.

I know everything has to be a trilogy these days, but four Avatar films? Jeeeeeesus. Who today is even talking about the first one? Who names it as their favorite movie? Anyone?

I bet the box office will be comparable to the Hobbit trilogy: The brand name will hook 'em initially, but with diminishing returns the grosses will drop off with each entry.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Alexhead wrote:It's the top grossing movie of all time, I'm sure it has some allure for large swaths of dolts out there.
It's the top grossing film because they charged a shitload extra for tickets to see the magical new 3d. It's about 14th when you actually adjust for inflation. Doctor Zhivago has sold more tickets than Avatar. Something tells me if they made a sequel to Doctor Zhivago today it would not be a massive blockbuster. Avatar was a product of its times with new technology and must see buzz. I think O-Dot is likely spot on with his Hobbit prediction. It will start out big as people go see it because of how huge the last one was, then they'll start to say "wait, why were we so impressed by this" as 3d is pretty commonplace now, and business will drop.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:It's the top grossing movie of all time, I'm sure it has some allure for large swaths of dolts out there.
It's the top grossing film because they charged a shitload extra for tickets to see the magical new 3d. It's about 14th when you actually adjust for inflation. Doctor Zhivago has sold more tickets than Avatar. Something tells me if they made a sequel to Doctor Zhivago today it would not be a massive blockbuster. Avatar was a product of its times with new technology and must see buzz. I think O-Dot is likely spot on with his Hobbit prediction. It will start out big as people go see it because of how huge the last one was, then they'll start to say "wait, why were we so impressed by this" as 3d is pretty commonplace now, and business will drop.
Still haven't seen it, and don't intend to see it anytime in the near future. Looks like absolute garbage.

_Marcus_ wrote:Still haven't seen it, and don't intend to see it anytime in the near future. Looks like absolute garbage.
It's actually not, merely a mediocre action movie dressed up with a Phantom Menace level of CGI and headache-inducing 3D. A local critic here likened writing about it to reviewing a beach ball.

O-dot wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:Still haven't seen it, and don't intend to see it anytime in the near future. Looks like absolute garbage.
It's actually not, merely a mediocre action movie dressed up with a Phantom Menace level of CGI and headache-inducing 3D. A local critic here likened writing about it to reviewing a beach ball.
How is what you are describing not hot garbage? :-D

darkness wrote:
All true. And yes, if the story/acting quality was the same as the first, I'd think fanboys would slog through all three but there would be diminishing returns. Man I loved it when Hurt Locker took the Oscar over this, and Cameron looked like his head was going to explode.

That said, I do have happy memories of his early ones, and will be introducing my son to the joys of Terminator 2 this weekend.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:That said, I do have happy memories of his early ones, and will be introducing my son to the joys of Terminator 2 this weekend.
He's seen the first Terminator I assume? If you insist on keeping up showing your child films out of order I will have no choice but to call CPS at some point. That's just not right.

From my Facebook feed:
James Cameron: Director Announces 4 Sequels to 2009 Fantasy Film 'Avatar'
Cameron announced the plans at CinemaCon with target release dates of 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023. "It's going to be a true epic saga that's told in this rich and complex world," he said.
Someone stop this clown before he directs again.

Is there anyone who actually wants to see these films? The 3d novelty has worn off for sure by now. I don't know anyone who actually watches Avatar at home. I tried it once with the Rifftrax and I couldn't make it through even with snarky commentary. Unless he starts ripping off story ideas from Ellison again, I can't see the film adding anything new. And as visually impressive as it is, once you've seen it there's really nothing more gained from repeat viewings, or more of a story needed.