New Tron Races On!!

Interesting...

New 'Tron' races on

Kosinski will program Disney sequel

By Borys Kit

Sept 11, 2007

TORONTO -- Commercial director Joseph Kosinski is in final negotiations to develop and direct "Tron," described as "the next chapter" of Disney's 1982 cult classic. Sean Bailey is producing via the Live Planet banner, as is Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film.

Kosinski, who last month signed on to helm the remake of "Logan's Run" for Warner Bros. Pictures, will oversee the visual development of the project and have input on the script, which is being written by "Lost" scribes Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. Story details are being kept secret.

The original, about a computer programr thrust into a computer and forced to fight in games he helped create, is remembered for its sci-fi gladiator-style battles and groundbreaking special effects. It was the first movie to use computer-generated images instead of models and other optical effects in conjunction with live action. The arcade game based on the movie was so popular that it earned more than the movie.

When making the original, in order to convince the studio to take a chance on a first-time director, Lisberger shot a test reel, financed by the studio, involving the deadly Frisbee battle. In a case of historical synchronicity, sources said one of the things Kosinski will be doing is working on a sequence involving the movie's Light Cycles to work out his vision for the movie. Sources also said visual effects personnel, for many of whom "Tron" was an inspiration to enter the business, already are jockeying for pole position to work on the sequence.

Brigham Taylor is overseeing for Disney.

Kosinski is a former architect whose specs caught the attention of director David Fincher, who convinced Kosinski to move to Los Angeles, where he joined the director at commercial house Anonymous Content. Kosinski then moved quickly up the ladder, eventually directing award-winning spots for Nike, Apple and Nintendo that gained notice for their use of computer technology that erased the lines between reality and CGI.

Kosinski is repped by Endeavor and Michael Sugar and Bard Dorros at Anonymous Content.

Latest news » Save Print Email Reprints

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 1706799643
"Man, if my fuckin' ex-wife asked me to take care of her fuckin' dog while she and her boyfriend went to Honolulu I'd tell her to go fuck herself."

first of all, HOLY FUCK NATE IS POSTING HERE AGAIN!!

secondly, the Tron 2.0 video game was pretty damn cool. this could be interesting. i mean, with all the CGI around these days, it's the logical film to make.

What up TC!?

"Guess who's back? Back again..."
"Man, if my fuckin' ex-wife asked me to take care of her fuckin' dog while she and her boyfriend went to Honolulu I'd tell her to go fuck herself."

Welcome back! And, interestingly enough, the guy who made the original Tron--who hasn't directed since--has a new sci-fi script that he'll be directing next year, I guess.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Bring on the product placement.

"Dude, you're getting (digitized and loaded into the ram of) a DELL!"
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

Honestly, this is one of those probably best left alone. The original was cheesey but fun. Nowadays I suspect they'll make it a huge cgi action fest, which means it will look like every other film out there.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:Nowadays I suspect they'll make it a huge cgi action fest, which means it will look like every other film out there.
while i agree with the former, i don't with the latter. i don't think there's any way that this will look like every other film out there. tron has some very unique elements that only tron can do, if it's done right.

Re: New Tron Races On!!

guess we're going to find out...
IGN wrote:SDCC 08: Tron 2 Revealed
A surprise trailer debut rocks the Con. And guess who's in it?

There was a big surprise revealed today at the end of Walt Disney Pictures' movie presentation at San Diego Comic-Con: the debut of the trailer for Tron 2!

The trailer begins with a cityscape shot that leads into a multiplane, cyber-reality gaming level. A bearded man in a blue and black battlesuit runs into frame, hiding momentarily from his foe: a black-and-green clad biker whose face is obscured behind a biker helmet. The bearded man and his opponent become engaged in a Light Cycle chase through the various stages of the course.

Just when the bearded man thinks he has evaded his foe, the black-and-green cyclist bolts out in front of him. The bearded man screams as he crashes through his foe's Light Cycle trail, smashing into a virtual wall of colored light. His Cycle destroyed, the bearded man lies broken and beaten as his opponent approaches him.

The trailer then cuts to the real world where we see an older Kevin Flynn -- yes, once again played by Jeff Bridges! -- rising to his feet inside of a virtual reality computer room and holding a device in his hand. Bearded and with his longish silvery hair slicked back, Flynn is far more menacing and cold than he ever seemed in the 1982 original.

Cut back to inside the game world where the victorious Light Cyclist's helmet visor flickers open to reveal Flynn's face. His defeated opponent whimpers, "But it's only a game," to which Flynn cryptically replies, "Not anymore." The trailer then cuts to the sequel's logo: TR2N.

The crowd was told that no more footage from the film would be seen publicly until next year, closer to the film's release.

Re:

TC wrote:
darkness wrote:Nowadays I suspect they'll make it a huge cgi action fest, which means it will look like every other film out there.
while i agree with the former, i don't with the latter. i don't think there's any way that this will look like every other film out there. tron has some very unique elements that only tron can do, if it's done right.

I'm thinking Speed Racer with the lights turned down. Which would certainly be an improvement on Speed Racer, if the commercials told us anything. Human brains can only take so much visual stimuli, Hollywood!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

THR wrote:'Tron 2.0' has its first two players
Olivia Wilde, Beau Garrett cast in sequel

Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett are the first to sign on for "Tron 2.0," the sequel to the 1982 Disney cult classic being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Sean Bailey is producing along with Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film, and Jeff Silver.

The original, about a programmer thrust into a computer and forced to fight in games he helped create, is remembered for its sci-fi gladiator-style battles and groundbreaking special effects.

The new movie is acting as a "next chapter." Plot details are being guarded closely, but Wilde will play a worker in the virtual world who tries to help fight Master Control Program, the villainous intelligence protocol that was the nemesis in the original film.

Garrett will play a siren in the virtual world.

The male lead has not been cast, but the studio and filmmakers are screen-testing actors as it brings on other leads and supporting players.

"Tron 2.0" is eyeing a spring shoot and is shaping up as one of the studio's most anticipated projects in years. Kosinski shot reels to test technology and showcase his vision for the film; the footage screened at Comic-Con in July and was one of the most buzzed-about films coming out of the geekfest.

Brigham Taylor is overseeing for Disney.

Wilde, repped by Endeavor and Kass & Stokes Management, can be seen on the Fox series "House." She next appears in "The Year One" with Jack Black and Michael Cera. Garrett, repped by ICM and 1 Management, appeared in "Made of Honor" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer." The two appeared together in "Turistas."

THR wrote:'Tron' sequel lands lead
Garrett Hedlund to star in Disney sequel

Disney has picked up-and-comer Garrett Hedlund to star in "Tron," the studio's sequel to the 1982 cult classic by the same name being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Hedlund, who made his debut in 2004's "Troy," has until now acted in larger ensemble pieces. He was one of the football players in Peter Berg's "Friday Night Lights," one of the foursome in the ensemble thriller "Four Brothers," a supporting player in the fantasy film "Eragon," and he appeared opposite Lindsay Lohan, Jane Fonda and Felicity Huffman in "Georgia Rule."

Hedlund has been considered one of those actors that is on the cusp within the industry, though without much of a profile in middle America. Starring in a $150 million effects-intensive feature could change that.

Disney cast a wide net as it searched for the role that, because of the title, generated a lot of interest. Such potential leads as Ryan Gosling and Chris Pine met on the project, while Michael Stahl-David ("Cloverfield') was one of the those that screen-tested.

Hedlund will play the lead, a man who finds himself pulled into the world of a computer and retracing the steps of a character from the original movie named Kevin Flynn.

Jeff Bridges is reprising the role of Flynn, who was a computer programr but ended up as the CEO of a software corporation. Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett have also been cast in the project, which was known as "Tron 2" and "Tr2n" but it now going with the simple "Tron."

Sean Bailey is producing along with Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film, and Jeff Silver. The movie is eyeing a spring shoot.

Hedlund is repped by Endeavor and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

/film wrote:Tron 2 Viral Begins: Is Flynn’s Arcade in San Diego?

I was awoken this early morning by the Fedex woman. I was supposed to be up anyways, getting ready for Comic-Con, went to bed later than planned last night. Needless to say, I was kinda grumpy. And the fact that I’ll be away from home for a week meant that if I didn’t answer the door, I would have to visit the Fedex warehouse downtown to get the package when I retuned home. Which is a greater hassle than getting up out of bed, even if it didn’t seem like one at that moment. “This package better be something good,” I mumbled to myself. The Fedex woman hands me a slim Fedex express envelope which felt like it had a quarter in it. “Great…”

Inside was a small manilla envelope, which I opened into my hands. It contained a generic flash drive (no movie branding) and two arcade coins. I was thinking that obviously someone must be playing a joke on me until I noticed the words on the arcade coins: FLYNN’S ARCADE. For those who don’t remember, the character Kevin Flynn in the 1982 sci-fi film Tron, had been working in a arcade with the games he had created. That’s right… this is the beginning of a viral for Disney’s Tron 2! The memory stick contains the following animated gif.

After further research, I found that FirstShowing, JoBlo, ComingSoon and UGO have also recieved packages with different animated gif images featuring different code. I’m not sure what it all means, but I’m sure, much like The Dark Knight virals, its up to you, the readers, to figure this one out. The package came from a post office mailing center right across the street from the San Diego Convention Center. And with Comic-Con beginning on Thursday, I’m sure we can expect some Tron 2 viral fun at Comic-Con. It would be frigging awesome if there was a Flynn’s Arcade in San Diego…
trontokens[1].jpg
zz3d9284cb[1].jpg
and here are all 4 gifs....
1[1].gif
tron-viral[1].gif
tron-viral-start-3[1].gif
tron-viral-start-4[1].gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Variety wrote:Disney pits 'Tron' against 'Hornet'
Mouse House releasing film on Dec. 17, 2010

Disney will release "Tron Legacy" on Dec. 17, 2010, which has suddenly become a competitive date for male-skewing fare.

Earlier this week, Sony pushed back the release of Seth Rogen starrer "The Green Hornet" from July to the Dec. 17-19 weekend.

Sony already had one movie slated to open the same day, 3-D toon "The Smurfs." Studio is likely to move the kiddie pic elsewhere, considering Warner Bros.' 3-D animated pic "Yogi Bear" will unspool that weekend as well.

Disney teased fanboys with clips from "Tron Legacy" at Comic-Con this summer. The f/x heavy pic is considered both a reboot and a sort of sequel.

Mouse House slotted several other films, including Andy Fickman's "You Again," which opens Sept. 24, 2010.

"Secretariat" will open Oct. 8, 2010. The Diane Lane starrer is a biopic of Penny Chenery, the owner of Secretariat, who won the Triple Crown in 1973.
cool that we have a date, but... did i just see a fucking 3D smurfs movie?? that has the potential to be terrifying.

SciFiWire wrote:5 new things you don't know about Tron Legacy

Now that we've had a couple months to wrap our minds around the Tron Legacy concepts shown at San Diego Comic-Con, we can start thinking about what this actually means for the upcoming live-action 3-D sequel to the classic 1982 movie. Producer Sean Bailey brought concept images and clips to D23—the Disney fan expo in Anaheim, Calif., this weekend—and offered us a few new hints about how the new movie takes the mythology of Tron to the next level. (Spoilers ahead!)
Tron Legacy takes place mostly in 2010, the year of the film's release, in a world that has progressed beyond the events of 1982's original. In particular, the digital world has evolved in the last 28 years to become something new: photoreal, sleek, dark, shiny. Sam (Garrett Hedlund), the son of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), must return to the digital world of lightcycles and gladiatorial disc games to solve a mystery.

Here are five ways Tron Legacy will take us into a new digital realm. The film, directed by Joseph Kosinski, opens Dec. 17, 2010.
  1. Thank Brad Pitt for a retro Jeff Bridges. Tron Legacy will feature a 1982 version of Bridges thanks to the technology that de-aged Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It won't just be a gimmick: Bailey said that young character has a major role in the film. "He's in the movie a lot," Bailey told fans. "We've just seen the first shots of it, Jeff kind of around 30 years old, and it's spectacular. I'm really, really excited by the first signs of what we're up to."
  2. Double the Bridges, double the Dude. Not only does Bridges appear as his younger self, he also plays a second, older character as well. Bailey would not reveal who the other Bridges is, but said he did learn a lesson about handling the Dude actor on the set.
    Original Tron director Steven Lisberger said that when told about the sequel, Bridges said, "Far out!" just like his character in The Big Lebowski. It turned out Bridges was enamored of video games, too, obsessing over his Battle Zone score in between takes. Bailey added of the sequel, "A couple of the Disney guys who were around in '82 came up to me, pulled me aside one day and said, 'You have no idea on some days how behind we fell because we couldn't get Bridges off of Battle Zone. No video games on your set.'"
  3. The Tron world trumps the Internet. So after Kevin Flynn and Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) beat the Master Control Program in the first movie, the digital world continued to evolve. You may have seen the shots of Tron City from Comic-Con. Meanwhile, our real-life digital world of the Internet came about in the early '90s, so the Tron world would have begun evolving more than a decade earlier. But does the one have to do with the other? "This isn't a movie about the Internet," Bailey said. "We're going to say that this system of Tron, this universe that Steven [Lisberger] created, existed and evolved on its own, somewhat like the Galapagos Islands. So this is a universe unto itself. We're going into another world. This isn't a movie about the World Wide Web at all."
    By the time our world embraced the Internet, the world of Tron had already suffered its own kind of 9/11. "Something very big happened in our world, in our narrative, in 1989," Bailey said. "Kevin Flynn disappeared, and that event, which you will learn in the movie, is tied to something that happened inside the system. So there is a corollary."
  4. Taking light vehicles off road. A highlight of the 1982 movie, of course, were the lightcycle races. As evidenced by concept footage screened at D23 and Comic-Con, they've been significantly enhanced. But there are more "light" vehicles in the sequel: Tron Legacy will also feature "light runners," four-wheel off-road-style vehicles that are used in the "Outlands" of Tron's digital world. The cycles, meanwhile, have gone through several iterations since 1982: Expect to see a 1989 model, a sleek white number (pictured below), in the film. "If you look at a Porsche 911 from 1968, and you look at one now, you can tell they're the same vehicle," Bailey explained. "There's no reason to mess with the fundamental DNA of the design. So things like the lightcycle, our understanding was that the original design of the lightcycle had an exposed rider, for example. They just didn't have the computing capability, the rendering power, to do it at the time. Well, that's what we're doing."
  5. Even the title evolved. The first time the test sequence screened at Comic-Con in 2008, the title of the movie was TR2N. That was just a temporary name with a cute, clever twist on the vowel. Bailey said the final title, Tron Legacy, speaks much more to the plot of Sam Flynn's having to live up to his father's legacy. "Also to the point of 1968, 1982 and 2010, we felt that there was a great legacy of technical innovation and concept," Bailey said. "These guys in 1982 said, 'What would it be like to live a virtual, alternate life?' We really tested ourselves and tried to come up with a plot, saying something new about an environment that is now so familiar."
Tron_Legacy_FlynnCycle1[1].jpg
Tron_Legacy_FlynnCycle2[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SciFiWire wrote:
Jeff Bridges reveals the secret of his two Tron Legacy roles

Jeff Bridges likened playing Kevin Flynn in the original 1982 Tron to being a kid again, playing pretend, so it's appropriate that he literally becomes a kid again in the upcoming 3-D sequel film, Tron Legacy, in which he plays dual roles.

Though the movie's storyline is closely held, we know that Bridges will play an older version of his original character, Kevin Flynn, as well as a second character whose appearance is that of Bridges 27 years ago.

The film will use of the same computer technology employed to age and de-age Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

"It was challenging, in that I got a little taste of this new technology of acting what they call 'in the volume' and making movies without cameras," Bridges said in a group interview Wednesday in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting the drama Crazy Heart. "It's a completely different deal. That was kind of a challenge. It was great getting back with my old buddy, [original Tron director] Steven Lisberger, and Bruce Boxleitner." Boxleitner, who played the dual roles of Alan Bradley and Tron in the original film, will appear in the sequel as an age-appropriate Bradley.

Fans got a taste of Bridges' mysterious dual role in the original teaser for Tron Legacy, which screened two Comic-Cons ago.
The teaser gives a sense of how they've updated familiar Tron effects, such as the light cycles and flying discs, but Bridges said that's only the beginning of what's in store for Tron Legacy.

"All that technology that we were going to use in the movie itself is used in the trailer," Bridges continued. "It wasn't as highly polished as the movie is going to be, but it gives you a little peek into what you might find. That teaser was something they do kind of often with movies, and I think it's a good idea. The Coen brothers told me they did it with making Blood Simple. Before they even shoot the movie at all, they shoot the trailer of the movie, as if it was already made, and then they use that to entice the financiers. So, even though it was a Disney property, Disney wanted them to shoot this pretty expensive trailer. I don't know how much it cost, but it was pretty expensive." The teaser footage was actually test footage that won't likely appear in the finished movie.

In Tron Legacy, Kevin Flynn's son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), goes back into the digital world to find his lost father. Olivia Wilde and Michael Sheen co-star as programs living in the world of computer programs. Boxleitner also reprises his role from the original Tron. Lisberger collaborates as a producer. Joseph Kosinski directs the new vision of Tron.

"I used to love to pretend when I was a kid," Bridges said. "Here's a movie that they say, 'You get to play a guy who gets sucked inside a computer.' Ooh, yeah. Use all the modern technology that's available today, [and] the same goes with the sequel, except all the technology that we're using in that makes the old one look like an old black-and-white TV show or something. Gosh, it's amazing what they've got going on this. I can't wait to see it all pasted together."

Tron Legacy has completed principal photography but will not be finished with post-production effects until its release, currently slated for December 2010.

fb122864-4000-4b9d-bd20-9582c9bea91b_Main_tron2_502[1].jpg
be49f623-634a-4ece-bf05-dcca50030490_Main_TRON__502[1].jpg