Re: X-Files2? [xfiles]

merged the two x-files threads we had. with all the buzz about a possible x-files return, duchovny speaks:
DH wrote:Duchovny Game For "X-Files" Revival

Over the weekend came news that FOX had been in discussions to potentially revive its iconic supernatural/sci-fi drama series "The X-Files". Today, the original show's male leading man David Duchovny told USA Today that he's "more than happy and excited to bring it back and do it again with (co-star) Gillian (Anderson) and (series creator) Chris (Carter)."

He adds: "I'm assuming that it will happen sooner rather than later now. We'll see what form, how many (episodes). Certainly I can't nor would I be interested in doing a full season. It will be in some kind of limited form. We're all old, we don't have the energy for a full season."

Duchovny is part of NBC's upcoming period detective drama series "Aquarius," whilst his original co-star Gillian Anderson has commitments to the same network's "Hannibal". During the reveal on the weekend, Fox TV Group chairman Gary Newman said he would like to bring back Duchovny and Anderson to the franchise.

Re: X-Files2?

TheWrap wrote:‘X-Files’ Returns to Fox as Limited Series
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are set to reprise their roles for the six-episode run

“X-Files” is coming back to Fox as a six-episode limited series, the network told TheWrap.

The series’ Emmy Award-winning creator and executive producer Chris Carter is returning, alongside stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, who’ll reprise their roles as FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, respectively, more than a decade after the show ended in 2002.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said in a statement. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Ten Thirteen Productions, production is set to begin this summer. But, Fox has yet to determine an airdate for the limited series.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X Files’ – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs, Gary Newman and Dana Walden, in a joint statement.

“’The X Files’ was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning,” they continued. “Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as ‘The X Files,’ and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

The series follows FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases – dubbed “X-Files” – for which the only answers involve paranormal phenomena.

In a recent interview with the Daily Mail, Anderson said of the return: “The idea is to get the old gang back, have some fun and get a bit of closure for us and the audience.”
During its initial nine-season run, “The X Files” became one of the most successful television dramas of all time, hitting a peak ratings high in 1997 when more than 27 million people tuned in to the Season 5 premiere. The show had earned 16 Emmy Awards, five Golden Globes and a Peabody Award.
emphasis mine. that is why this is a bad idea. if he's actually going to do 6 "story of the week" episodes of this, that's a fucking disaster. this is the perfect opportunity to use the format to tell a sweeping arc of a story.

It works better as a series than a film. I was never a huge fan, but I hope they do more stand alone stories and not the mythology. The first couple of seasons were pretty good. Then they started bogging everything down with bullshit that never went anywhere.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

TC wrote:some of the best episodes of S1 & S2 were all about the mythology. your statement is confusing.
Not sure how. There are 24 episodes of the first season of X-files, about 6 of which are mythology episodes (and I'm being generous by counting the pilot even though it's really more setting up the series). That leaves 18 that are not. The best ones are in there.

I'm sure they'll work up a Blu-ray release with the new series coming out. I read they really butchered the HD remasters that were done before (upscaled the SD effects from the earlier seasons and cropped everything to 16:9) so hopefully they'll do it right this time.

S1 was hardly the strongest, S2-S5 is the good stuff. And a lot of good mythology episodes, along with some great stand-alones but their mythology remains one of the best. It just should have ended with the film.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i know i've said it before but the duane barry arc are a couple of my favorite episodes that stand out in memory. not only because steve railsback, but because of where it takes the mythology. it still blows me away that it happened so early on. in my head, it had to have been S4-S5, but nope.

yes, there were some good stand-alone episodes, but also some really dumb ones. the reason everyone kept watching was the promise of a fleeting scene, a tag, that moved the mythology forward. it wouldn't have survived on stand-alone, alone.

I guess I'm in the minority. I never could find reason to give two shits about the mythology. Especially as it seemed to drag on and on without ever really going anywhere.

If the whole show had ended at the film or actually about one season past it (and if they'd stayed in Vancouver) then it would have been a great mythology. The movie did a good job of tying seemingly disparate/bullshit ends into a very tight, believable mythology, and they could have ended it in style soon after. The whole thing is sullied (scullied?) by the fact that they dragged it out to a misbegotten what, 10 seasons? With douchebag Duchovny tapdancing in and out of the lineup for the last 3 or so, and a resulting attempt to recast the leads entirely? And the strained chemistry of Mulder and Scully dragged out to a nauseating degree, with the characters essentially becoming fuck buddies off screen while the actors increasingly seemed to despise each other? I remember watching that series finale and just really hating the show at that point, and then of course the second movie came along to take a shit on the legacy of the stand-alones. Really, as warm as some of my memories of the whole thing are, there are enough crappy ones that I don't hold out huge hopes for new episodes, outside of the fact that the leads have managed to age exceptionally well and they at least still look the parts. Would be cool if they got Vince Gilligan to throw a script in, he seems a little light on work these days.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I think that's a large part of where my distaste about the whole thing is as well. It just got run into the ground to the point that I couldn't give a shit anymore. I think I stopped regularly watching after the first movie. I don't even remember anything about the second movie except for that stupid helicopter shot of them in the boat at the end. And that's the lasting image I have of the show. In fact the more we talk about the show here the more my opinion of the new series is moving from general disinterest to outright dislike. :)

yeah, you really have to forget the last few seasons to still like the show. the failure of the second movie is to my point, as they tried to do a "stand-alone movie" and not deal with any of the mythos. if they manage to "get the old band back together" (meaning behind the scenes too), it could be interesting. not really sure what to make of it, as i couldn't say it's a "cash grab" - i mean, neither andersen or duchovny need for work at this point - just seems odd.

I dunno, I suspect Duchovny would do anything for a buck at this point.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

It's a cash grab for Fox, and I'm sure they offered them both enough money that they'd be stupid to say no. Maybe they got a big percentage of the dvd profits.

I don't think the failure of the last film is because of the stand alone nature. After so much time had passed you kind of had to not get deep in mythology to try to make it appeal to a wider audience. The problem was they made a cliché lightweight horror film with little plot that was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

I don't think Duchovny's hurting for money unless he's been an idiot with his finances, in addition to the millions he made on X-Files just from salary I recall he successfully sued Fox for a larger percentage of the residuals, and I'm sure he made fine money doing Californication too. I suspect it's been long enough away that revisiting the best known part of his legacy sounds fun (and profitable).

darkness wrote:
I don't think the failure of the last film is because of the stand alone nature. After so much time had passed you kind of had to not get deep in mythology to try to make it appeal to a wider audience. The problem was they made a cliché lightweight horror film with little plot that was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Yeah, considering what they could have done with a stand-alone, it was a ridiculously bad story/script. I have read some places that the writer's strike had a lot to do with that, that they rushed it into production because of that and whatever other contracts were at play, but really, what the fuck else had Carter been up to for the prior 7, 8 years? He didn't have anything up his sleeves better than that?