Re: X-Files2?

A plot description (brief, but certainly with some spoilers) has snuck out...via a Wiki description of the movie novelization (which has since been removed)...

"Mulder and Scully are back in the thrilling novelization of the summer 2008 blockbuster movie based on the classic X-Files TV show! When a group of women are abducted in the wintry hills of rural Virginia, the only clues to their disappearance are the grotesque human remains that begin to turn up in snow banks along the highway. With officials desperate for any lead, a disgraced priest’s questionable “visions” send local police on a wild goose chase and straight to a bizarre secret medical experiment that may or may not be connected to the women’s disappearance. It’s a case right out of The X-Files. But the FBI closed down its investigations into the paranormal years ago. And the best team for the job is ex-agents Fox Mulder and Dr. Dana Scully, who have no desire to revisit their dark past. Still, the truth of these horrific crimes is out there somewhere...and it will take Mulder and Scully to find it!"

Based on that, I'm thinking the plot could easily cut either way on the mythology issue...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The Wiki description could have been a plant too though. Guess we'll know soon enough. Honestly, I think this film is going to be a box office dud. Not saying it'll be a bad film. But given how long it's been since the series was on and the fact that it comes out only a week after Batman, I think this will have bigger life on dvd than theatrical.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Yeah, could hurt a little but they roll out a new one every week during the summer...by the time it hits, people might be a little tired of superhero movies too. I'm guessing if the reviews are good it will do fine, probably not the most expensive wannabe blockbuster out there either (see Batman's price tag -ouch!)
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Agreed that weekly big releases is par for the course during the summer. But I think the bigger factor is that the X-files just isn't the big name it once was. A lot of people who watched were turned off by those last few seasons. A lot of time has past for those who did watch and there isn't a huge new fanbase built up. I just really don't see it being that big a hit, especially with the huge summer competition thrown in. They really should have released it in the spring or fall, not during blockbuster season, for it to have any kind of chance.

Could very well be right, although the show is certainly a SciFi geek totem pole--good internet response to the project, I skipped most everything from Doggett forward (maybe saw one episode with Reyes before deciding they were soaring over a shark in a tank) but I'll be there with about 5 people on opening night assuming it doesn't get panned, etc. The placement a mere week after Batman is the potential killer--combine the Heath Ledger rubberneck factor with the potential that *crosses fingers* this could be the best comic book adaptation to date, and I see Batty ruling July. As you note, the placement in release schedule is probably a lot more damning than the fan base reaction. On that point, I'm also guessing that X-Files has probably developed somewhat of a new generation of fan since they started releasing the DVDs in reasonably priced packages. The original releases were fucking highway robbery, but the conspiracy packs (I have the first) along with the slim case cheaper releases of the full seasons have grown the ranks somewhat, I'll bet.

AICN has a fairly spoiler-filled review up from a regular contributor that says this is quite possibly the worst film of 2008.

Alexhead wrote:AICN has a fairly spoiler-filled review up from a regular contributor that says this is quite possibly the worst film of 2008.
oh god no.... please mr. carter, don't do this. this is our hope that you will atone for the last few seasons! why on earth else would you resurrect the whole thing now? sigh....

Who knows how much stock to put in a random reviewer from AICN. But I will say I really have little desire to see this film. I was pretty much bored with the X-Files by about season three. I saw several episodes after that and probably most of the last season. But it wasn't very good. Hell, the Lone Gunmen spin-off series was better than most of the last seasons of X-files. And I think we all know the reason Carter is proping up the dead one more time to rape its corpse - the bank account is running a bit dry. I've read several interviews with him and not once has it said he had a good idea for a film that he just had to make.

As a friend put it to me today, you probably wouldn't put out a misinformation review that said the movie utterly stunk.

I'd be surprised if Carter and Duchovny needed money after their big residual battle with Fox that they supposedly won handily, but you never know where these guys put their money. Carter has been pretty much silent for most of the decade, you'd think a "genre master" such as he would have gotten back to work on something, a new series, a feature film, etc.

I guess from one AICN review, it sounds like a deal was struck to do this right before the writer's strike and it was a rush job...not like Carter's had 6 years to think about it ahead of time or anything. Sounds like there is a ridiculously dumb shot of Duchovny and Anderson in a boat on a lake during the credits, during which they smile and wave to the camera. Um, yeah. Creepy but not in the good way.

Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars, for what little that's worth, he called it an "old fashioned thriller." I think I know what he means but the overall plot sounds like a yawn, and a badly executed one at that.

darkness wrote: They really should have released it in the spring or fall, not during blockbuster season, for it to have any kind of chance.
Although I read elsewhere that the summer means more opportunities for midnight screenings, which is a realm where the X-Files might make some decent B.O. with geek/cult audiences.

klimov wrote:Although I read elsewhere that the summer means more opportunities for midnight screenings, which is a realm where the X-Files might make some decent B.O. with geek/cult audiences.
The problem with that theory is that the geek set that might have cared about X-Files is now much older and not as likely to go to midnight screenings. The younger geek set doesn't care about the X-Files. And I was right in my prediction. Not only did The Dark Knight beat X-Files at the box office on Friday, so did the new Will Ferrell movie and Mamma Mia. Ouch!

finally saw this over the weekend. it really wasn't terrible at all, given how low my expectations were. there are several problems with it - as a fan of the show - but in general i agree with ebert. it was for people who weren't really fans of the show. it wasn't really any better or worse than the "off-mythos" episodes early on in the series, but that is also the main problem - it's "off-mythos". x-files was so great because of the underlying mystery carter built and the questions it created, not because he had the occasional werewolf/vampire/whatever story, or the one about pyrokinesis, etc. to me, those were filler. you had to have some processing time between mythos episodes or when they came on they would be meaningless. there were other issues, certainly, but that was my main one. there were several snarky scenes giving some long-time fans what he thought they wanted, but it was all very anti-climactic and overall the wrong way to approach an attempted rejuvenation of the franchise.

X-Files 3

IGN wrote:Duchovny on X-Files 3
Mulder envisions next sequel timed for the end of the world.

David Duchovny believes there will be a third X-Files movie, despite the commercial and critical failure of the last big screen outing, The X-Files: I Want to Believe.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, the actor who played Agent Fox Mulder said, "As far as the X-Files movie I'd like to do next, if we get a chance to do it, would be a return to the heart and soul of the mythology, which is the alien-oriented conspiracy. I think it's natural for The X-Files to have another movie in 2012, so we'll see if we get to do it."

Of I Want to Believe, Duchovny told the site, "I was happy with it… I have nothing but respect for [X-Files creator] Chris Carter and the writing staff."

IGN Movies will bring you more on The X-Files 3 as it develops...
THANK you, christ. still unsure why they bothered with the last one knowing damn well what everybody wanted.