Re: Recently Read/Currently Reading

Wow, had to dig to page 4 to find this thread. I finished C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (good stuff) and went back to Dune. I read Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, so I'm finished with the main story line now, and after 8 books I've had enough of Dune.

Next up: I'm not sure yet. Possibly the John Adams bio that I got for Christmas and haven't read yet, then delve back into some fiction.

I read the synopsis of Hunters and Sandworms and that was enough for me. The Brian Herbert/Anderson books darn near set my blood to boiling, they were so shitty. A 30 page outline found in a safe-deposit box and thousands of pages of original notes for "Dune 7" and those two still managed to fuck things up.

But on a happier note, I re-read Brian Lumley's E-Branch trilogy in the Necroscope series. His "more horror/less romance" take on vampires is still my favorite blood-sucker mythology and strongly recommended to everyone.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

I just read some of the Amazon reviews of Hunters and Sandworms. Both got 3 stars but there were some really scathing 1-2 star reviews. I have to say that I agree with a lot of the negative comments, especially looking back. Parts were enjoyable, but man, there are some seriously bad parts too. I mean, they put friggin SEAworms on the cover of Sandworms of Dune, and then they have next to nothing to do with the plot. I loaned Sandworms to my co-worker that loaned me all the others, so he can finally read it too and we can complain about it.

Cormack McCarthy's Child of God, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo/The Girl Who Played With Fire, Richard Matheson's Hunted Past Reason, Philip K. Dick's Martian Time-Slip...those are some of my recent ones.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

just finished reading something i always wanted to read - lolita. the way it's written, the style... probably wasn't the best first book in awhile but after i got used to the cadence it was a seductive style that drew me in. i am sad it's over and want to reread it. there is so much more in that book than made it into either film. so much substance. i would love to see a faithful adaptation, but i understand why it never will be made. don't know any parent that would allow their 12 year-old girl to film some of those scenes. anyway, recommended for anyone that's ever been curious.

I read Lolita in college.

Right now I'm thumbing through National Nightmare on Six Feet of Film, about Abraham Zapruder and his home movie of the JFK assassination. Also planning to read The Stranger Beside Me, about Ted Bundy. Lots of other volumes stacked up on the shelves at home.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Well that del Toro book, The Cell, was pretty fun albeit nothing particularly original, it's the first of a trilogy and it's quite obviously geared towards some kind of miniseries/movie adaptation. Got a collection of Joyce Carol Oates stories, used to read tons of her stuff in college but it's probably been a decade since I've touched anything of hers. After reading about the upcoming movie adaptation I'm now curious to find a copy of The Devil in the White City, anyone read that?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TC wrote:Dune. amazing. how have i never read this until now? will be reading the entire series. now i want to rewatch the movie & mini-series.
I own an original hardcover copy of this as a part of my Lynch collection, but I have to confess I've never gotten around to reading it. Maybe I should bump it up to next on the list.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

As much as I love the movie, I tried to read the book and found the writing to be awful, so I never got much further than page 10 or so.

Just finished The Devil In The White City, nonfiction account of the 1894 Columbian Expo in Chicago and the truly vile serial killer who plied his trade in its shadow. The latter story is attached to the former to give a cool piece of American history a modern CSI creepfest angle and grab some more readers, but it more or less works.

Alexhead wrote:As much as I love the movie, I tried to read the book and found the writing to be awful, so I never got much further than page 10 or so.
That's funny, I read the book first and then saw the movie and thought it was terrible. :lol: I guess it all depends on what your expectations are, but the special effects definitely hadn't aged well. I agree that Herbert's writing is not the best (his son is worse), but the first 3-4 novels in the series are good reading.

I'm halfway through Robinson Crusoe. I read most of this when I was a kid but never finished it, so I decided to pick it up again.

If you take a look over at the celluloid forum and the "New Dune Movie" thread you'll find plenty of recent discussion on this vey topic...

I would highly recommend a comic I just finished up called Black Hole, very dark and creepy shit. Both Aja and Fincher have been attached to direct a movie version but have bagged out in recent years; I'm not sure how well it would translate but it's a pretty horrifyingly gorgeous comic.