Recent movie/TV playlist

1
since we all rarely get motivated to write any kind of review, we can at least put single-comment reviews in this thread using the standard CON, con, mixed, pro, PRO.

Reincarnation - mixed to pro
Mona Lisa Smile - pro (does the fact that this is the third time i've seen this film and liked it make me gay?)
The DaVinci Code - pro
Cube² - Hypercube - pro
Supersize Me - PRO
Final Destination 3 - con to mixed (a poor parody of the smart first one, maybe two, with poor actors. great death scenes is what elevated it to mixed for me)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - pro
Last edited by TC on 07/08/21, 07:36:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title for accuracy

Re: Recent movie playlist

2
TC wrote:Fast Times at Ridgemont High - pro


Don't tell me this is the first you've seen this one?

Lately:

Black Rain (Scott, 1989) mixed
Something Wild (Demme, 1986) pro
Casino Royale (Campbell, 2006) pro
The Hitcher (Harmon, 1986) con
Angel Heart (Parker, 1987) mixed
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Re: Recent movie playlist

3
O-dot wrote:
TC wrote:Fast Times at Ridgemont High - pro


Don't tell me this is the first you've seen this one?

oh hell no, more like thousand and first. i watched it religiously back in middle/high school. i could recite the entire movie. but it was on this morning so i watched it again.

O-dot wrote:The Hitcher (Harmon, 1986) con
Angel Heart (Parker, 1987) mixed

con on the hitcher?? wtf? put rutger hauer on the map for me. of course, that's also the only movie i've seen him in that didn't outright suck, mostly because of him, so.... and angel heart i really dug. expand please. i remember liking black rain too.

Re: Recent movie playlist

4
TC wrote:con on the hitcher?? wtf? put rutger hauer on the map for me. of course, that's also the only movie i've seen him in that didn't outright suck, mostly because of him, so.... and angel heart i really dug. expand please. i remember liking black rain too.


Hauer is a lot of fun in The Hitcher, but the movie overall mostly sucks. It's one of those movies that follows the Idiot Rule, under which the plot only works because the main character is a complete idiot. There were so many points along the way where C. Thomas Howell could have taken himself out of the situation and out of danger, and after about the fourth or fifth time he passed up his chance... well that was it for me.

Angel Heart... I dunno, it seemed awfully scattershot and ultimately it didn't leave much of an impression. I liked the leads and the atmosphere but other than that not much else got my attention. It was only a couple weeks ago I watched it and it's already pretty much faded from mind.

Black Rain: I'm surprised this didn't go over better, because it really resembles my kind of superviolent, angry cop movie. But Michael Douglas is completely wrong for the lead, and he's constantly mugging and preening for the camera. Very irritating. Not only that, his character is stupid (e.g., losing a prisoner to the mob RIGHT ON THE PLANE, unable to save his partner in the parking garage, admitting to the Japanese cop he barely knows that yeah, he's on the take, and so on). The writing just sinks the movie; everything's spelled out in big capital letters, with no ambiguities, and it all makes for a fairly tedious experience.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

5
Casino Royale (Campbell, 2006) mixed

I thought it was kind of boring. Though I hadn't slept for several days when I saw it and mentally I wasn't in a very good place at the time, so my mood probably didn't help my opinion of the film.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

6
darkness wrote:Casino Royale (Campbell, 2006) mixed

I thought it was kind of boring. Though I hadn't slept for several days when I saw it and mentally I wasn't in a very good place at the time, so my mood probably didn't help my opinion of the film.


It did need to be about 25 minutes shorter, but it still is miles better than any Bond movie in years. (Not that that'd be hard.) If they keep this low-fi, salty tone for future Craig movies, that'll be fine with me.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

7
Well, it doesn't take much to be better than the Pierce Brosnan ones. They were just down right stupid.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

8
The torture scene was one of the better things I've seen in a theatre in a long, long time. Not only could I not believe I was watching a Bond movie, I do believe tears were shed I was laughing so hard.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Re: Recent movie playlist

9
TC wrote:The DaVinci Code - pro


I actually saw the opening 30 minutes of it and thought it was so vile, I wrote a long review of just those opening 30 minutes. The rest of the movie had to be pretty damn good to warrant a pro from me after that.

Other films:

The Last Picture Show - PRO
A History of Violence - mixed
The Ring (american version) - con
Clerks II - mixed
Dogville - pro

Re: Recent movie playlist

10
_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:The DaVinci Code - pro


I actually saw the opening 30 minutes of it and thought it was so vile, I wrote a long review of just those opening 30 minutes. The rest of the movie had to be pretty damn good to warrant a pro from me after that.

don't know what to tell you man. i thought it was entertaining at minimum.

_Marcus_ wrote:The Ring (american version) - con

of course, i liked this film too. i'd put it only a little below the japanese version.

11
The Prestige - mixed/pro (I've liked Christian Bale since Reign of Fire and he's the best part of this movie)
Shogun Assassin - pro (plot is pretty boring, but the violent fight scenes are great)
Casino Royale - pro
Gattaca - pro (watched the DVD recently, hadn't seen it since it first came out, and it's still pretty good)

Re: Recent movie playlist

12
TC wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:The DaVinci Code - pro


I actually saw the opening 30 minutes of it and thought it was so vile, I wrote a long review of just those opening 30 minutes. The rest of the movie had to be pretty damn good to warrant a pro from me after that.

don't know what to tell you man. i thought it was entertaining at minimum.


Fair enough :)

TC wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:The Ring (american version) - con

of course, i liked this film too. i'd put it only a little below the japanese version.


I don't know about that, I'm a big fan of the japanese version and thought that had a more eerie sense of dread about it. Also, the american one was too good looking for its own good I thought.

13
I better keep quiet until my international jury duty is over, but then I might do a breakdown of all the films - none of which any of you will probably ever see, but there we go ;)

14
Casino Royale - pro
Children of Men - PRO
Miami Vice - PRO

I urge everyone to watch Children of Men. Don't ask why, just go watch it. Miami Vice may just be my number one guilty pleasure movie. It does not have the depth and characters Heat delivers, but it looks and sounds so amazing that I spent the whole movie grinning like an idiot. This is the good kind of R-rated action movie: violence, great music, brilliant cinematography, brilliant editing, and the best thing about the movie is that it takes itself seriously. This is no Bad Boys 2.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

16
Damn, I didn't know that was already available. Have to see it.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

17
dhn wrote:Miami Vice may just be my number one guilty pleasure movie. It does not have the depth and characters Heat delivers, but it looks and sounds so amazing that I spent the whole movie grinning like an idiot. This is the good kind of R-rated action movie: violence, great music, brilliant cinematography, brilliant editing, and the best thing about the movie is that it takes itself seriously. This is no Bad Boys 2.


Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. And that unrated DVD is out in one week's time.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

18
O-dot wrote:
dhn wrote:Miami Vice may just be my number one guilty pleasure movie. It does not have the depth and characters Heat delivers, but it looks and sounds so amazing that I spent the whole movie grinning like an idiot. This is the good kind of R-rated action movie: violence, great music, brilliant cinematography, brilliant editing, and the best thing about the movie is that it takes itself seriously. This is no Bad Boys 2.


Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. And that unrated DVD is out in one week's time.

I hope he doesn't change the beginning sequence. Wasn't the speedboat racing scene the orignial first act? The current abrupt fade in into the dance club with the girl dancing and no credits whatsoever is too perfect.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

19
Dunno. I've heard he's tinkered with the movie much like he did with Ali and Last of the Mohicans. My understanding is both cuts are being made available, so in the event he screws up the unrated cut, we still have the theatrical to fall back on.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

20
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) - pro

Very good movie, but I prefer the Devil's Backbone. Del Toro should have relied less on special effects for the "real" scenes. They weren't bad, but they took me out of the movie, especially after watching Children of Men so recently.

But it was nice to watch a children movie in the vein of old fairy tales, that didn't shy away from ultra-violence. Still I prefer the subtleness of the Devil's Backbone.

Looking forward to Hellboy 2. :)
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote
cron