Re: X-Files2?

I keep wondering first and foremost why the hell the FBI is still employing Mulder and Scully, when it seems like every government agency on the Earth wants them either dead or in jail. It seems like one of the best ways to stop them from poking around is to take away their means to do so easily.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Not a bad episode, though towards the end it kind of felt like they were doing Black Mirror.
Scully really needs to up her personal massager game.

darkness wrote:Not a bad episode, though towards the end it kind of felt like they were doing Black Mirror.
Scully really needs to up her personal massager game.
yeah i was thinking that too. certainly was a bit different for the x-files. even the previous ("kitten") was ok. too little too late i think.

It's sitting there on the DVR but for the first time I think I just don't care one iota.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I watched the finale, but as Alexhead said, I couldn't really get up the will to care about much of any of it. But here's an interview with Carter on the finale (don't read if you want to avoid spoilers) where he seems to indicate he's willing to carry on without Scully. Someone stop this guy before he X-files again. Move on dude.

Entertainment Weekly wrote:The X-Files finale: Chris Carter explains that shock ending

Shane Harvey/FOX
JAMES HIBBERD March 21, 2018 AT 08:58 PM EDT
Is this the end of The X-Files? And if so, who’s really dead? And who’s not? What’s the story with that pregnancy shock? Below The X-Files creator Chris Carter takes our burning questions about the season 11 finale in the wake of speculation about the show’s future and star Gillian Anderson’s declaration that she’s finished playing Dana Scully. WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Okay, first: Walter Skinner. Just seeing his limp foot isn’t very conclusive — at least, in terms of TV rules. So are we to assume he might not really be dead?
CHRIS CARTER: It certainly begs many questions. If you pay close attention to that sequence, did he dive under that car or was he run down? He’s motionless, but a lot could be drawn from that as the Cigarette Smoking Man never checked if he was done.

Speaking of which: Cigarette Smoking Man. Surely you’ll commit to him being dead at last … right?
[Chuckles] You know, he rejuvenated somehow to come back last season. Scully’s visions of his showed him with some kind of special power of rejuvenation. You wonder as he was pushed off into that water if he may not be dead. There’s this title we posted instead of The Truth is Out There this time, which is “Salvator Mundi” [seemingly referring to a painting of Christ by Leonardo Da Vinci], and that had many edges to that sword. One being William being somewhat Christ-like, his resurrection. Mulder saving the world by killing his father. And the Cigarette Smoking Man — a savior in his own mind because he was going to start the planet anew.

And Monica? C’mon, you have to at least give me Monica.
She’s obviously got a wound that looks fatal. But once again, no one stopped to take her pulse.

Chris! You don’t like creative permanence, do you? All right, so does Skinner ever tell Scully that the Smoking Man is William’s “father,” or does she just figure that out intuitively, or based on her visions?
You know, she has intuition as we’ve set up, but he actually tells her in the car, except it’s done where we go into Scully’s head. We see him all but say the Cigarette Smoking Man is William’s father.

Can you talk about making the decision to have Scully pregnant again, creatively speaking?
Mulder and Scully, there was a lot of foundation for this building to that moment, when they have that pillow talk in episode 3 about the future and old age and having more children. It was set up early on, you can see now, that this moment was coming.

So are we to assume that the father of Scully’s new baby is definitely Mulder?
Yes. But we also have to remember that Scully has alien DNA so there are questions atop that certainty.

Gillian has said she’s done with the show. You’ve said, “Not so fast.” What would the show look like if Fox ordered another season without her?
I honestly don’t know right now. There’s so much that’s up in the air right now with Fox’s sale to Disney, and with Gillian’s announcement — which I respect — and with more X-Files stories to be told…right now it’s anyone’s guess.

Do you have any sense of the timing for figuring that out at this point?
You know, it’s funny. The episode airs tonight and it’s the end of a year of my life devoted to this. I’m happy not to think about it for a little bit.

The finale feels like a potential ending, certainly a relatively happy one for Mulder and Scully. If there’s never another X-Files episode, would you be okay with that?
I know there’s more life in this show, whether it’s — they’re doing a really interesting X-Files narrative game right now — while it would never be the same without Gillian, as I was saying I do think there are more stories to be told. If this was the last episode, would I be happy? I don’t know. There are so many questions that this begs now. I’m standing with them on the end of that pier and thinking about the impossibility of it and the impossibility of not knowing what the future holds for them.

A few more random questions: There was also a motif in the background this season, including in this finale: The “Have You Seen This Man?” dream man. I’m curious if that was just for fun or if there was a message behind it?
We were all interested in that Internet meme and we decided he was going with us this season. He’s a perfect X-Files character. He was on the drum kit in episode 3, and on the billboard as you clearly noticed in the finale. I think he made every episode this season.

How would you have worked in Doggett if Robert Patrick had returned?
I put him in the plot of My Struggle 3. He, unfortunately, wasn’t available. I had to reconceive that story using the character of Mulder’s half-brother — who was going to be in the episode anyway — and he stepped in where Doggett was going to step in.

What was Monica’s endgame, ultimately?
It was to protect Mulder and Scully at all costs, and while she was in the league with the devil she had ulterior motives.

One of your episodes this season — episode 7 — was compared by some to Netflix’s Black Mirror. Do you have an opinion on that show as it occupies a similar space as yours?
When I think about coming back to network television with The X-Files after being so long off the air, how much television had changed, considering the first episode of Black Mirror was a man having sex with a pig, we were in a new television realm. It certainly affects the way we think of the show and television generally.

Mulder seems a bit pessimistic about modern-day America this season. Do you feel the same way?
[Long pause]. I do. I try to fight my cynicism every day. I think we now live in this mode of such sensationalism. I think it’s driven certainly by this political moment, but I think it’s driven more by this media moment and the Internet. And it’s really hard for me to imagine ever going back.

Oh so Scully bites it? Thanks spoilerman! Heh. Really, don't care. Still need to watch it though. I thought this batch was better than the last, at least. But it doesn't feel a sliver as vital or relevant as The Return did. Tough standard to hold it too, but since a good 30% of the concept seemed ripped off TP I think it's fair.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Oh so Scully bites it?
At no point did I say that. I mean because Anderson say she's through with X-Files and not coming back. I'd say maybe episodes 4-8 weren't too bad. But as usually the mythology episodes stink. Hell, I'm not even sure what the mythology is these days.

and with more X-Files stories to be told
more? i'm not sure you had 10 this season.

as much as i love(d) the show, i certainly hope this was the end. yes, lots of unanswered questions, but i honestly don't think anyone cares anymore. it just wasn't well-executed. and yes, for the first time, the stand-alone episodes were far better than the mythology episodes for me.

TC wrote:
and with more X-Files stories to be told
more? i'm not sure you had 10 this season.

as much as i love(d) the show, i certainly hope this was the end. yes, lots of unanswered questions, but i honestly don't think anyone cares anymore. it just wasn't well-executed. and yes, for the first time, the stand-alone episodes were far better than the mythology episodes for me.
Yep. I was always a mythology guy but the stand alones were better, marginally. Although I still haven't watched the finale yet.

Alexhead wrote:
TC wrote:more? i'm not sure you had 10 this season.

Yep. I was always a mythology guy but the stand alones were better, marginally. Although I still haven't watched the finale yet.
so predictable. i was reciting lines before they were said. also, wtf is going on with gillian's voice? it sounds so fried, like she's been smoking for 85 years. kind of started on S3 hannibal i guess but it's really bad. wonder if she has some medical issues? aside from terrible and unnecessary cosmetic surgery, i mean.

Cosmetic surgery is a common cause for that kind of vocal fray, lots of fucking around in the throat area when women get facelifts and whatnot.

she was so pretty, too. had such a crush on her. now she looks gaunt and sounds like an old lady. it's like they've never seen what happens when people do this shit, yet we all see it all the fucking time. how do they continue to destroy themselves? people age, you're still beautiful, stop it. i mean you alexhead, but them too damn it!

Damn, she's only 49. I thought sure she was 60 at least. I suppose it's a Hollywood thing. Your looks are your livelihood there so they get cosmetic surgery out of fear. But it rarely works and usually makes it worse. With how prevalent it is these days it'll only be a matter of time before there's an army of aged stars who all look like bozo the clown. Wait, I call dibs on that for a film idea!

/film wrote:New X-Files Series Coming From Creed And Black Panther Director Ryan Coogler

Break out your sunflower seeds and "I Want To Believe" posters: The X-Files are due to be reopened again. According to original series creator Chris Carter, who appeared on CBC's "On The Coast" this week to talk about the show (in a story picked up by Bloody Disgusting), there's a reboot of "The X-Files" in the works — with none other than "Creed" and "Black Panther" writer-director Ryan Coogler leading the charge.

"I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount 'The X-Files' with a diverse cast," Carter told host Gloria Macarenko in a retrospective segment about the series. While Carter didn't share other details about what sounds like a reboot in development (the interview was largely about the show's Vancouver filming locations), he did add that Coogler has "got his work cut out for him, because we covered so much territory."

There's no news yet on where this updated version of "The X-Files" would air, whether it would share a title with the 1993 series, or if any cast members would return, but Carter's use of the term "remount" makes the project sound as if it could be a complete reboot. While most franchise fans are resistant to reboots, "The X-Files" has such a long and winding mythology at this point that a clean slate would likely be the easiest way to approach the story of two FBI detectives tasked with exploring unexplained phenomena.

The original series ran for nine seasons on FOX from 1993 to 2002, with new leads appearing in the last two seasons. Its story has also spawned two movies and two continuation seasons, with the latest installment ending in 2018. As much as we could watch Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny squabble about aliens all day, a diverse new cast sounds like a thrilling and appropriate update for a series that, in its '90s heyday, sometimes struggled to represent the cultures of people of color without relying on racist stereotypes.

As of publication time, Ryan Coogler has not commented on Chris Carter's announcement, but the filmmaker is certainly busy: He most recently wrote and directed the superhero love letter to Chadwick Boseman, "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," and produced the latest "Rocky" film, "Creed III." It's unclear at this point whether Coogler will oversee the series as a creator, showrunner, executive producer, or in some other capacity.

There's no release date information about the newest update to "The X-Files" at this time.