Re: Joe Bob's Last Drive-In

Day Of The Beast - i don't know how i hadn't seen this before. it's an a spanish film with italian actors speaking spanish, about a priest who strives to do as much sinning as possible so he can get an audience with the devil in order to stop the birth of the antichrist. i don't know what genre this is. it's all over the place. at times it reminds me of a peter sellers style farce, at other times - as JBB said - it reminds me of buster keaton physical comedy. then some crazy over the top satan scenes that i won't spoil here in case you haven't seen it, followed by an ending that feels like grumpy old men. it's quite something to watch. there's also a death metal undercurrent. the guy who is the pancho to the priest's don quixote works at a record shop. you can see some morbid angel, cannibal corpse, napalm death albums in there. later at a show you can see some impaled nazarene, deicide, emperor, etc., shirts in the crowd. i really liked this movie, somehow. the tone changes work, somehow. it's satirical, engaging, and amusing. will be watching again.

Humanoids From The Deep - roger corman is a national treasure, and responsible for so many careers of people whose work i admire. this film holds up better than it should, and the parts that are great remain so thanks to the work of rob bottin. joe bob interviewing corman during segments greatly improves the experience. TC says, check it out.

Terror Train - this movie starts goofy and gets worse before it gets better, but it does get better. Hank from Twin Peaks as sad sack needy boyfriend to JLC is amusing. Ellis from Die Hard being a real dick is also. But David Copperfield in his first and only acting role takes the cake. And by “cake” i mean the full cake pan of makeup he is wearing throughout. Oof. Still, once things get “rolling” (pun intended), it’s not a bad film at all. Effects are essentially non-existent, which is a missed opportunity. Other than that, not bad. Having Jason Blum and David Gordon Green as guests is the real attraction here. Good conversation. Blum clearly has no love for big Hollywood.

For the new season, I’ve had a lot going on and haven’t been able to watch some of the live, and still have plenty left to watch, but so far he’s done 10 films, 9 of which I hadn’t seen before. Which is great!

Night Of The Living Dead - Baffling as it may be, I’d never seen this all the way through, only pieces of it at various times over the years. Thanks to Joe Bob, I have a lovely excuse to watch it. Really surprising how well this holds up, especially given the context of not only how this was made but when. There had simply never been anything like this prior, and it’s incredible how it got done, given how much of the cast was just whomever was around (read: investors). It really does just “work”, and that ending is bleak as fuck. Well, for the main characters anyway. It actually seems like a pretty hopeful ending for the rest of the world.
The film also ends up highlighting how things today are far more racist than they were - not a chance in hell a movie gets made today that features the one black character knocking out a woman after she (barely) slapped him, then later murdering a guy because he wouldn’t help. Watching this, it just doesn’t really matter and/or occur to you - his character is actually playing the “hero” role, and it works fine. Which is really the entire point/goal, right? The ending though - you could probably make a film today featuring vaguely southern men murdering a black guy out of carelessness and/or stupidity, but more likely there would be some more sinister subtext or something.

catching up with the rundown. as usually, with this season i usually only watch the first film and save the second films for the off-season.

Antropophagus - this movie is not good. there are a couple great scenes, which you have likely already seen. watch those two scenes instead of the rest of this film. while it's amusing how bad it is, it's not bad enough to call must-see bad.

Black Sunday - this i enjoyed. it holds up quite well, really. not "horror" by today's standards, but a good flick.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane - don't know how i hadn't seen this until now. really amazing how great of an actress jodi foster was at this young age. i guess she filmed this simultaneously or immediately after taxi driver. it's pretty great. again, not really "horror", but an interesting film.

Nosferatu - this is one i never did sit down to watch the whole way though. i'm glad i waited to watch joe bob's version. he imparted a ton of context of how it was filmed and how much of the techniques used they invented. made me appreciate how much film changed after this, because of this.

The Monster Club - while a couple of the stories in this low-budget anthology are interesting, it's so campy that i can't deal with it. i have no use for this type of thing. highlight is absolutely stevie lange just crushing "The Stripper" song. man could that girl sing. can't believe she didn't get as big as pat benetar.

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker - susan tyrrell's acting is worth the price of admission here. just a master class in "over the top" scenery chewing. was actually a pretty good flick too.

Realized I missed some, and getting caught up before the Halloween special:

Housebound - this was actually pretty fun. Just the right amount of goofy humor and some good effects and scenes.

Head Of The Family - this is a totally nusto film that just somehow works for what it is. Imagine peak ‘80s Troma actors except with a villain that takes his role and craft extremely seriously. The logistics of the practical effects and camera perspective trickery are very impressive. I expected this to just to completely goofy and annoying but was pleasantly surprised. It’s not by any means great, but it is enjoyable and something to see at least once.

Nosteratu, The Vampyre - somehow I had never seen this. It is a very ambitious remake/reimagining of the original Nosferatu by Herzog starring Klaus Kinski. I think Herzog accomplished what he set out to do here, and Kinski is creepy as fuck. Was it necessary? That’s debatable, but given the context of why Herzog did this - especially with Joe Bob’s explanation - I am of the mind that it really was. I appreciate it and would easily recommend it to someone who isn’t into silent films.

Slaughterhouse - the first thing that will jump out at you is the absolutely insane music in this movie. the original songs are beyond laughable, and the seemingly royalty-free pseudo songs are even funnier. there's a generic big band composition as an opener then generic '80s-sounding songs throughout with original lyrics that are beyond hilarious. none of them fit in with the film or scenes in any way. they should absolutely take away from the film, but because the film is such a b-movie to begin with, they almost make it more amusing. there's nothing original in this, and while everything about it is set up to be a checklist of '80's slashers, they break one cardinal rule - no nudity. it's a weird movie, you're not going to miss anything by not seeing it, but it's quite a spectacle of the '80s. plus, the lead really looks like matty matheson, which is quite amusing.

Tenebrae - in which a guy bicycles down the freeway as though this is normal behavior. it's...fine? the last 10-15 min really make up for the rest of it somewhat. that dog steals the show. i'm still thinking about the feats that dog pulled off. amazing.

The Baby - Avoided this for a long time, assuming it was going to be goofy and campy. Boy was I wrong! Don't make the same error I did - this film is upsetting, disturbing, and GREAT! Absolutely wild, bonkers film. Thank you Joe Bob!

The Freakmaker - this is a fascinating film as far as who is involved in it - writers, directors, producers, cast, everything. the film itself is... not good. special effects, aren't. but it's a fascinating film that's for sure.

Well, this year’s Halloween Hangout was another bust:

Elvira’s Haunted Hills - remember when the aeon flux shorts were amazing and you heard they were making a movie and you got all excited, then you saw the movie and she talked and it ruined everything? Same with Elvira. She’s nice to look at, that should have been the end of it. I fucking hate her shlock, her movies, the ridiculous cheese, everything. Only non-pictorial thing I liked was that pinball machine, which ruled. So I am not the audience for this. Cassandra Peterson I like, she seems awesome. So this is a great candidate for the “just Joe Bob” version so you can watch the interview at least.

Popcorn - another total shitshow for a film. This movie sucks hard. Awful. But guess who loves it? Darcy. Darcy is having way too much influence over which things are shown on the specials. She loves both of these. If she’s done one thing, it’s ruin herself with plastic surgery. If she’s done two things, the second thing is prove that she has shit taste in movies. Anyone that liked the show last night is probably the kind of person that thinks the rye chips are the best part of chex mix. Anyone that’s ever said the phrase “but horror should be fun <exclamation marks>” is someone I’m not going to get along with. She’s been talking a lot more as we go along. It’s making me concerned that they are gearing her up for at some point JBB passing the baton and truly retiring. That would be a double travesty. Shut the fuck up and stop asking for shitty movies.

i'm behind on putting comments here for episodes i've watched...

Habit - genre is "gritty new york", in the vein of Mean Streets, etc. it's a low-key vampire film shot gonzo-style. expected to really hate it, but goddamn, i actually quite liked it. it's slow and takes a bit of focus to get into it, but damn does it just work. i kind of loved it. wondering why it doesn't get more love. it feels like a very under-appreciated film, and that ending is bleak af. it's not really a "blood & guts slasher" horror film, it's more of a menacing, dark, human drama featuring an antagonist that is she/isn't she a vampire. if you only watch one episode of last season, and you haven't seen this film, you should watch it. joe bob has the main actor/director as a guest and he stays the whole movie, talking about how they made it, what things mean, etc. it's fascinating and makes you appreciate the film even more, which is one of the things i really love about joe bob. great episode, very interesting movie that i hadn't ever seen. if you haven't seen it, you should remedy that.

Uncle Sam - back to ridiculous, silly, bad horror films here. this movie is ridiculous, and not something i ever need to see again.

Nightbreed - Finally got to the season finale. It was the Cabal/Director’s Cut and JBB’s insight and stories were absolutely excellent and fascinating, enriching the experience. He elevated a film I already dug, as I expected. He rules.

Don't Open Till Christmas - ultimate sleaze. bizarre film due to the fact that at least four different directors participated (hired/fired/quit/etc) in what is ultimately presented. it's amazing there is any kind of narrative at all, frankly. noticeable differences in tone and intent are present. even so, it does manage to be entertaining, made doubly-so due to JBB's masterful insight. wouldn't exactly recommend, but it's entertaining.

A Christmas Horror Story - this one flew right by me somehow in 2015. from the makers of the underrated Ginger Snaps comes this sort of anthology film, where the director's intent was to somehow blend Creepshow and Pulp Fiction by breaking up the narrative and eventually having all the stories meet/intertwine. i'd say on the latter it was not successful, but 3/4 of the stories are really good, with some great gore/kill scenes, creative writing, a fantastic "final battle", and wild twist ending i did not see coming. sort of amazed i haven't heard more about this. shattner anchors the chapters here with bookends/interludes in a way only he can. do recommend checking this one out if you aren't familiar!

Phantom Of The Mall: Eric's Revenge - first of the V-day special double-feature this year, and another one I had never seen. This is not a good movie, but it's quite unintentionally amusing and filled with mall nostalgia for those of us that grew up in one. This mall in particular has tons of movie appearances, so you will recognize plenty of things from films like Fast Times and Chopping Mall. Bonus - Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man In The World is the antagonist here. amazing. and once again, Joe Bob makes everything better, really elevating the viewing experience.

Yeah. Although she looks way better as a blonde, I’ll give her that.

JBB is still very much there, doesn’t seem to be slipping whatsoever, but he’s no spring chicken. He should slow down the touring and reprint all his old books if he needs the cash. The aftermarket prices on them are ridiculous, and someone like me who’s been a fan since I first saw him on TMC can’t possibly afford them. That being said I sure wish he’d bring the tour here. I’ve never gotten a chance to meet him.

He must be trying to slow down the touring a bit given that he's selling Cameos now on his website. I don't think he's ever come to Pittsburgh, but he was in Dallas all the time when I lived there. Unfortunately I never had time to make a show.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Nekromantik - wanted to see the wedding portion of last season’s finale but held off on this for a while as i had heard about rabbit and cat scenes that i didn’t want to see immediately after my cat of 16 years died. Watched it last night. Fuck this movie and that fucking awful music. Most scenes are 10 minutes long because they really have no story or anything to say other than just going for shock value. It’s a ridiculous film with zero redeeming qualities as far as I can tell. I appreciate the “made by punks in germany” angle but was expecting at least something of substance - nope, just a giant middle finger to german (and human) sensibilities. With, again, absolutely unfitting and awful music over those 10-minute scenes of caterpillars, running through meadows, bathing in blood, somehow manipulating a full human corpse around like it weighs 3 pounds, etc. The worst film JBB has shown (yes, I’m including Things) and probably the worst soundtrack of any film ever (yes, I’m including Creepshow 2). Even the wedding thing didn’t save it. BTW, really started to get the sinking feeling during JBB’s officiation that - contrary to my previous post - he is absolutely slowing down. With that much of his neck exposed, he really seemed to be hunching over, and his voice was soft and cracking in a few spots. Granted, this type of things is not his forte, I get that, so maybe he was trying to figure out how to be respectful to both the family and the young couple who paid a lot of money for this. Maybe he was exceptionally moved by the wedding, the couple, or both. I don’t know, but it wasn’t great and just felt weird. Brenan was the best part of it, with his “talking to the groom” skits. And, I can’t figure out how that couple had the cash it took for not just winning the wedding bid but getting to vegas, etc. Listening to their interviews, it felt like an HGTV show where the couple are professional apple pickers yet have a $2mil budget. I don’t get it. Whatever, glad that season’s done. New one starts in a few weeks.