The Departed

Marty's back! Well, the closest thing to Marty we've had in a decade or more, at least. Even "Bringing Out The Dead," which re-teamed him with Schrader and should've been great source material for him, was fairly bland (and saturated with those goddamn awful overhead white lights he borrowed from Ollie Stone). Gangs of New York and the Aviator just out and out blow, with nary a shot seeming to come from Scorsese's hand. But he comes close to returning home here, albeit without any great depth or overriding epic arch to cement this thriller with his other great ones.

That's probably my biggest surprise here, that the guy who traced some great rise-and-fall tales in his day--Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver in its own twisted way--has not one but three such potential character arcs in The Departed, but ultimately they're pretty hollow, servants of the story more than the other way around. This all makes it sound like I didn't like the movie, which is absolutely incorrect--it's got a great cast that does a great job with a (for about 2 out of 3 acts, anyway) really punchy, funny script. It's great (for about 2 out of 3 acts, anyway) to see Nicholson finally working with Scorsese. DiCaprio's finally watchable in one of Marty's movies, and Matt Damon continues to amaze (amazing in that he's actually watchable as well). There's really no great shakes to the concept and story, but it moves along at a pretty good clip, provides a framework for some great face-offs and showdowns, and of course allows for several choice explosions of violence. For the first time in a long time, Scorsese backs off an aggressive or overproduced style and tends to let the actors, locations and tensions dictate the visual flow instead of an overinflated budget, and that's a good thing. Really a very, very watchable film, and a solid thumbs up for the NYC master, but after the sugar rush has worn off a half hour after you leave the theater, you can't help but wonder when and if Marty will ever truly return to previous heights again. Here's to hoping this is a solid Step 1 in his recovery.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Hey, I liked Bringing out the Dead...

I watched the original Hong Kong movie a couple months back and was none too impressed. Still, I could see where Marty could deepen and flesh out the characters and setting. And that's more or less what he did.

Really, the first two-thirds or so of The Departed amount to Marty's best work since, yes, Goodfellas. Great depiction of the seedy South Boston streets, bars and back alleys. A fun Nicholson performance as the local unhinged mafioso. Very lively inside look at state police department's mob task force (complete with cool star turns by Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg). Matt Damon is particularly impressive; with this and Syriana he's really becoming the go-to guy when you want a baby-faced, upwardly mobile white guy who's got a void where his soul ought to be.

DiCaprio is... DiCaprio. Still not a fan, but the nice thing is he's becoming less self-conscious.

Favorite moment (of many) is when the cops are bugging the mobsters and Baldwin starts squealing "Patriot Act! Patriot Act!" with uncontainable glee. Oh, and pretty much any scene with Ray Winstone (as Jack's right-hand enforcer) is loads of fun. The early scenes between Damon and his love interest are really snappy, it's almost like you're watching an old Cary Grant movie.

Two big complaints: (a) movie gets draggy in the middle; and (b) in the last act, Marty pulls back from the characters and slice-of-life stuff and just focuses solely on re-enacting the Hong Kong movie's plot nearly point-for-point. (He does improve on the ending, though.) And since the original plot is nothing to write home about, Marty's decision to be so faithful to it in the end was kinda disappointing, especially when he'd improved on it so much up till that point.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Aside from the comparisons to the original (which I haven't seen), I agree completely.

And I really liked Bringing Out The Dead--the book. Found Marty's film of it strangely unengaging, even thoug events-wise it's pretty straight adaptation.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Oh, and one other minor gripe: Marty needs to stop leaning on "Gimme Shelter" so much. Yeah yeah, who doesn't love the Stones, but... c'mon, it's his third movie where he's blared that track.

Someone ought to buy Marty a copy of High on Fire's last album. :wink:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Who did the Irish punk song? That was put to good use. His constant hum of 1970s rock in the background does get a little old sometimes, and yeah, Gimmie Shelter isn't even the best Stones song (although it's a good one).

Now that Mastadon's the hot thing maybe he'll start using them, eh?

I think that was Dropkick Murphys. Someone else might want to confirm that.

Mastodon would probably fit better in a Michael Mann movie... the new album, anyway.

Yep, Dropkick Murphys: "I'm Shipping Up to Boston."

Loved it. But they should have called it "Headshot, the Movie".

The setup, the number of great characters, and the Boston background would make for a great HBO Show. Kinda like "The Wire", but funnier and with more headshots. I could see this working well for 10-20 epsiodes. After all, the movie takes place over more than a year - not counting the flashbacks.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

dhn's made me watch this one, and dhn's not often wrong when it comes to good movies as far as I'm concerend.

Ve Shall See!

If y'all pick up the DVD at Target, it comes with a copy of the shooting script.

Loved it. But they should have called it "Headshot, the Movie".
no shit! i finally saw this last night and man, what a great film. i was blown away. loved it. but WOW, all the headshots! there were more headshots in this film than i had the last time i played UT2k4. i have zero complaints about this film.

as i understand it, the originals were a trilogy? not that i can see where it would go, as everyone is dead at the end of this, save one guy, but does marty plan on this?

There is talk of a sequel, since Wahlberg's character survived.

Re: The Departed

THR wrote:Fugitive Who Inspired 'The Departed' Arrested After 16 Years on the Run

The fugitive who inspired the Oscar-winning movie The Departed, James “Whitey” Bulger, has been captured after 16 years on the run.

Bulger -- who was portrayed by Jack Nicholson in the 2006 film -- will face a federal judge in Los Angeles Thursday on murder, conspiracy to commit murder, narcotics distribution, extortion and money laundering charges.

The 81-year-old been on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List with a $2 million reward in connection with 19 murders.

The FBI arrested him and his girlfriend, 60, at Santa Monica apartment building The Princess Eugenia Wednesday night.

The FBI tracked him down after ramping up publicity on its investigation, spokesperson Steven Martinez told the Associated Press.

Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig, could be charged with harboring a fugitive in court Thursday.

Bulger allegedly headed up Boston's Winter Hill Gang according to the FBI, where he was a part of "numerous murders committed from the early 1970s through the mid-1980s in connection with his leadership of an organized crime group that allegedly controlled extortion, drug deals, and other illegal activities.”

Bulger was a one-time FBI informant who disappeared in January 1995 after hearing he would be indicted in the crimes.
81 years old? jeez. six months could be a life sentence for the guy.

Re: The Departed

watched this again last night as we've been on a scorsese (mob) film kick. this movie is so fucking good. i mean like really good. and that ending, holy shit what a bloodbath.