Re: New Dune-movie

Haven't read / don't care about the book. But the plot and the sequence of scenes is remarkably similar thus far - apart from
the bizarre decision not to show the navigators (some of the best scenes in the Lynch)
. They're different sorts of films and filmmakers, yes - Lynch is an artist and Vielleneue is a moderately-talented hack. This is the same sort of argument folks used to justify the Shining mini-series...
Last edited by TC on 30/10/21, 06:17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiiler tags for you

That last sentence is true. However in this case the source material is actually good (great) and deserves a sweeping, faithful adaptation. Yes, DV has made some changes (mentioned already), but i still found it to be a fantastic film. Similar to Jackson’s LOTR trilogy (extended). Yes, he made some changes from the book, but overall it worked better as a film because of it. I’m not going to go that far yet, until i see the rest of it. And yes,
he passed up a great opportunity to show the navigators. And yes, probably my favorite scene in the original dune. That is disappointing. But, if he’s playing the long game here and betting on future films based on the source material, there will be a ridiculous amount of navigator coverage in a couple more books. That’s what i’m hoping, regardless of what he does with the second half of this.

Anyway, we get it - you don’t like DV’s work. I beg to differ, at least in the case of this and BR2049.

klimov wrote: 05/11/21, 02:28:28 So... If the spice is necessary for interstellar travel, how did anyone find Arakkis in the first place?
One would assume there was previously another form of interstellar travel that was just slower and less efficient, in the same way we used to travel by horse and buggy before gas and automobiles.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Arrakis may have been found before the Butlerian Jihad when humans wiped out all computers and robots. Instead they have mentats and navigators do the calculations now. I haven't read the early books that Herbert's son wrote about the Butlerian Jihad, so I don't know all the details they came up with, but it gets referenced in the first book and explained a bit.

I finally watched this. It was okay, but I felt like it could have used a better editor and lost about half an hour. I guess after the chop up job of the Lynch version we've now overcompensated with slavish devotion to the original. I'm also not sure why everyone says this film needs to be seen on a big screen. Half the film is medium shots and close-ups. and the wide shots are mostly of...sand. I feel like this is one of those things everyone repeats without really thinking about why. Overall I didn't really hate the film, but I can't say I'd ever watch it again either. I did like the soundtrack, which was pretty unique.

I’ve itemized my feelings about it. As far as “you have to see it on the big screen”, having watched it in both Imax and at home, it was an entirely different experience seeing it in Imax. Even with my 65” screen and Atmos surround rig. The soundtrack in the theater was very different - uncompressed, obviously - and much more enjoyable as the giant screen envelops you. So i’m one of those people that said that, and still say that. Yes, lots of interpersonal scenes where you don’t really need an 80’ tall face talking at you, but in the scenes it matters, it matters. I loved it and hope there is an extended version with some of the additional scenes i mentioned inserted, but i have no idea if any of them were even filmed. And i’m sure we don’t get any kind of extended version or director’s cut or anything until after both parts are released. At which point i’m sure there will be fan edits doing exactly what you describe, so hopefully we both win.

Deadline wrote:‘Dune: Part Two’: Christopher Walken To Play The Emperor In Sequel For Legendary And Warner Bros.

Denis Villeneuve is adding another high-profile talent to an already-loaded cast as sources tell Deadline Christopher Walken is set to play the Emperor in Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Dune: Part Two. Walken joins the all-star ensemble that includes Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya and Josh Brolin, who are expected to reprise their roles, as well Florence Pugh and Austin Butler, who were also recently announced. Villeneuve is back to write, direct and produce.

Legendary had no comment. Production is expected to start in the fall, with the film set to bow on October 20, 2023. Jon Spaihts is returning to co-write script with Villeneuve.
cast just keeps getting better and better.

/film wrote:Dune: The Sisterhood: Emily Watson And Shirley Henderson Will Star In The HBO Max Series

After what felt like ages since we last heard about this series, we finally have our two leads for "Dune: The Sisterhood." The prequel series to Denis Villeneuve's adaptation of "Dune" will star Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson, with them portraying Valya and Tula Harkonnen respectively.

If those names sound familiar to you, then you likely know your "Dune" lore. However, for newbies who were introduced to Frank Herbert's world through last year's film, here's a brief rundown. Valya and Tula are sisters who end up becoming a part of an underground organization called the Sisterhood of Rossak. First introduced in the 2012 novel "Sisterhood of Dune" by Herbert's son Brian Herbert, this organization would eventually evolve into the Bene Gesserit, which featured prominently in the original "Dune" novels as well as Villeneuve's adaptation.

Given how long it has been since we received news on this series, we wouldn't blame you if you thought it was among the many projects canceled by Warner Bros. Discovery earlier this year. Some of us here at /Film thought the same! Thankfully, this certainly doesn't look to be the case, especially with Watson and Henderson slated to star.

Diane Ademu-John, who helped write and produce episodes of "The Haunting of Bly Manor" and "Medium," will serve as the series showrunner. Villeneuve will serve as an executive producer as he films the upcoming sequel "Dune: Part Two." The aforementioned Brian Herbert and his daughter Kim will also produce alongside Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Cait Collins, John Cameron, Matthew King, and Byron Merritt.

Not much is known about the series and whether it will be a faithful adaptation of "Sisterhood of Dune." However, Variety reports that the official logline says it will follow "the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit." What these forces are, though, and whether they will be any different from the anti-computer extremists from 2012 still remains to be seen.

"Dune: The Sisterhood" does not yet have a tentative release date, but "Dune: Part Two" is expected to arrive in theaters on November 17, 2023.

If this thing actually makes it to the screen I'll be really surprised, given HBOMax's current state. This sounds expensive and not like something Zaslav is going to want to pay for.

I haven’t really been paying close attention, but from what i recall, seems like they shitcanned properties that had a low chance of being good and/or profitable, no? This has a direct tie-in to the profitable film, which already has a sequel happening. I think it’s stable and am excited about it, frankly. The latter tales of the origins of the sisterhood and their millennia -long population game were really good, and have the potential to translate very well to screen.

TC wrote: 05/10/22, 06:28:00 from what i recall, seems like they shitcanned properties that had a low chance of being good and/or profitable, no?
That's the cover story they used on Batgirl, though there seems some debate from people in the know as it if it was really bad or not. They've also canned a bunch of projects that were pretty popular, but expensive to make. Most streaming services treat them right now as loss leaders. Spend a bunch of money now on content and it'll drive up subscriber rates and make money in the future once they get a lot of subscribers. Netflix shows this isn't necessarily the case, but it's still how most of them treat things. Not HBOMax anymore. Zaslav is cutting costs everywhere. With the plans to merger HBOMax and Discovery+ next year, you'll start to see more and more of the cheap kind of programming of the latter and less of the former. Given that Dune the film didn't exactly set the box office on fire, I have a feeling the tv show if it ends up going to cost a lot will be a causality.

I'll be curious what kind of box office this does. There's no day and date streaming release this time to affect the numbers and theaters are back to full operation now. I feel like there's next to no hype around this film, outside the circles of die hard lovers of the book. The last one benefited from being one of the few big budget releases in a pretty light sea of releases due to covid. There's a lot more competition now. Only a week after this the Marvels comes out. Not that that franchise has been setting the box office on fire lately.