Re: Recent movie playlist

The Dark And The Wicked - Julia Bowman visits relatives.  Things don’t go as planned. This movie has no ending.  It just stops.  Be advised.  Also, don’t think the film really accomplished what it set out to do.  Sure, there are some good scenes, but missing is that constant feeling of dread it seemed like they were going for.  I was mostly just irritated by incredibly stupid and/or vulnerable people and the use of goats as a massive red herring. I saw people say, “If you liked Hereditary, you’ll like this!”  Anyone saying that clearly did not understand Hereditary.  The films aren’t even in the same realm.  Don’t listen to those people.

TC wrote:
TC wrote:Ted Lasso - new ipad came with a year of free AppleTV+, so starting to check out some of their content. started with this, as i really like sudeikis. only four episodes in so far and it's been great! lots of big laughs every episode. i also know nothing about soccer, nor do i care, and this show doesn't spend much time at all dealing with the actual sport, thankfully. so don't be deceived by the marketing, it's not a soccer show. it's a bit fish-out-of-water, but mostly a good-guy-at-heart-amid-a-bunch-of-narcissistic-assholes type of show. you love him, you root for him, and enjoy his endless positivity. i don't know how many people even have AppleTV+, but if you do, definitely check out this series. i hope the remaining episodes stick the landing.
this got less funny pretty quickly. not not funny, just, now that all the characters were introduced, it was time for some drama. it picked up toward the end of the 10-episode run, and ended setting up s2. i read some interviews, it's already been renewed for two more seasons, and the creators say it's a finite three-season series. said the only way it would have more is if they filmed jason coaching a soccer team that plays a block from his house. he's got two little kids and wants to stay home more i guess, not spend months in london every year. sounds like s2 is scheduled to start production next month.
first two episodes of s2 were fantastic. it's such a great show. ted might be the best character in a series in a very long time, outside of Barry. love it.

The Suicide Squad - Meh. Gunn loves his licensed music and uses it to full effect, and has some absurd moments in this that the first one was lacking and/or couldn't pull off. But I see some people calling it the best film of the year and I kinda want to beat them up? 2,5/5 at best. Some people call it the best DCU-film ever made and I wan't to beat them over the head with Birds of Prey.

_Marcus_ wrote:The Suicide Squad - Meh. Gunn loves his licensed music and uses it to full effect, and has some absurd moments in this that the first one was lacking and/or couldn't pull off. But I see some people calling it the best film of the year and I kinda want to beat them up? 2,5/5 at best. Some people call it the best DCU-film ever made and I wan't to beat them over the head with Birds of Prey.
I watched it last night and loved it. I thought it was hyper-violent (hell, the things that happened before opening credits may be one of the most violent scenes in recent memory), funny, good soundtrack, great cast - what’s not to like? I also loved all the ways they did the chapter introductions in-scene. Very well done, particularly that one on top of the building. Loved seeing
Pete Davidson’s face get blown off
. Loved seeing the guy from For All Mankind doing dark humor. Everything about this just proved James Gunn knows how to make an ensemble comic book movie, and that GOTG films weren’t a fluke. While i felt like the 2016 version of this film was just kind of there, as we discussed in the thread about it, this one was fucking awesome comparatively across the board - better cast, better characters, better humor, better violence, better soundtrack, just better directed.

Re: Recent movie/TV playlist

Physical - Apple TV+ show featuring Rose Byrne in the main role. It’s a half-hour…dramadey?…about a woman with an eating disorder who discovers aerobics and starts making tapes in the early ‘80s (or late 70s, not super clear) and her husband (Rory Scovel) who is running for local office. I’ve been watching it but wanted to wait until the end of the first season to see if it stuck the landing. Finale was last night and yes it definitely did. A really, really good show. I mean fucking good. Recommend watching this show. In addition to Rose, who is great, it also has Paul Sparks, who played Mickey Doyle in Boardwalk Empire in it, and he rules.

TSS - Like Vol 2 it was slightly disappointing. It's growing hard not to conclude that Gunn will never top the first Guardians movie. Actually this was almost a recasting of Guardians, albeit with more violence - Drax becomes Peacemaker, Groot becomes the shark, etc. As to the violence, there was a flippant quality that irked. You could feel a Tarantino inspiration at times in the Reservoir Dogs slow-mo and Kill Bill showdowns, yet in Tarantino violence is always painful and serves to advance the plot or the theme. Here it's just a carnival show, similar to the John Wick movies or the properly odious Nobody, and there's something rather fascist about it all. I guess that's always been there in Gunn's work, but amplified here. That said, the movie gets kudos for being perhaps the first superhero flick to criticise rather than cheerlead the US military industrial complex, even if it copped out on that a little bit towards the end. And yeah, visually inventive (as one would expect), solid music drops, a good enough time, for sure - clearly in a different league to the snoozeworthy Birds of Prey.

Woodstock 99 - finally, a film where heavy metal and white men are the cause of the world's problems! :roll:

The Editor - holy shit is this movie insane. i didn't know what to expect. it's almost impossible to describe. airplane for giallo films? it's hilarious, surreal, great kills and f/x... don't know how this flew under my radar when it came out. i loved it and recommend it to anyone. baffling and greatly amusing.

_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:Woodstock 99 - finally, a film where heavy metal and white men are the cause of the world's problems! :roll:
I've heard really bad things about this. Seems like they were true?
moby is a fucking handjob, lots of people talking about how you can't blame the artists for what happened while simultaneously blaming specific artists for what happened, huge sections of it spent talking about how girls who willingly walked around naked among drunk frat guys were surprised that they were groped and how many sexual assaults happened only to reveal at the end of the doc that a total of 8 SA charges were filed (out of 500k attendees), the main organizer specifically blames fred durst for everything that happened (because he sang the lyrics to one of their songs that they were paid to be there to sing), some performers interviewed talking about how the vibe wasn't great and they hated it (yet still performed and cashed the checks), etc. the actual things that happened were fucking terrible and avoidable, but the cut of this doc is tedious and enraging. most notable are the people who were not interviewed here. that should tell you a lot. i loved the andre the giant doc, but this sucks. unless, like i said, you count yourself among the people who blame heavy metal and white men for all the world's problems, in which case this is your bible. ultimately, the organizers of this fest should still be doing time for what happened here. they are the ones that booked it (with an entirely ridiculous lineup that should never have been booked together). the main lesson here is that moby sucks as a human.

TC wrote:some performers interviewed talking about how the vibe wasn't great and they hated it (yet still performed and cashed the checks), etc.
In their defense, you aren't going to know how the vibe is until you go on really. It probably would have been worse had they said, "Oh, fuck this, the vibe is off" and walked off the stage. Well, admittedly it probably couldn't have gotten much worse, but they wouldn't have helped matters.
I thought we already knew heavy metal was to blame for all the world's ills. Tipper Gore told me so back in the '80s.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:some performers interviewed talking about how the vibe wasn't great and they hated it (yet still performed and cashed the checks), etc.
In their defense, you aren't going to know how the vibe is until you go on really. It probably would have been worse had they said, "Oh, fuck this, the vibe is off" and walked off the stage. Well, admittedly it probably couldn't have gotten much worse, but they wouldn't have helped matters.
I thought we already knew heavy metal was to blame for all the world's ills. Tipper Gore told me so back in the '80s.
according to moby he knew the instant he pulled into the site. yet still stuck around a couple days.

100 Foot Wave - four episodes into an unknown quantity of this docuseries. it's absolutely fascinating. i have lightly followed the actions of garrett mcnamara over the years but this goes real deep. it's terrifying to understand the realities of what these big wave surfers do, and how there really was nothing in place to do so before this guy built it, let alone creating a surfing mecca from nothing. highly recommended.

Possessor - Came time to watch this one, and like TC I chose the uncut version. Really liked it and hooo-boy is Brandon Cronenberg his fathers son. I never found it unclear or obtuse at all though, even with the "dreamy" sequences. Some absolute explosions of violence and gore mixed with really good performances (Jennifer Jason Leigh just keeps getting better with age). The ending was a particularly difficult watch
for me as a parent, but it made sense for the movie. Also, Sean Bean survives! Maybe the most shocking thing in the entire film.
Last edited by TC on 28/09/21, 15:01:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spoiler fix

Apparently it's the 40th anniversary of The Muppet Caper and it's briefly in theaters again. My wife loves the Muppets, so we took the kids on Sunday. I'd already seen it, but now I've seen it in the theater, which was basically the same, and they didn't appear to have done any restoration to improve the picture quality, but it was on a bigger screen and I had popcorn and a recliner I guess. Good use of about $100 on tickets and snacks. :|

TC wrote:Home Before Dark - apple tv show inspired by the real life of Hilde Lysiak, a 9-year old "reporter" who helped solve a murder case. "inspired by" is key - this isn't telling the story of the actual crime, it's wildly fictionalized but still centered around a 9-year old reporter that helps solve not only a murder but a 30-year old missing child case. i saw s2 is coming out so figured i'd check out one episode. well, i think we ended up binging this in two days. it really sucks you in. somehow, given that the story really centers around child abduction and murder, it's not really dark. moments of it feel like a lifetime movie. it's really about their family, and i'd call it family friendly. but man is it pretty damn good. very well written, and only one of the child actors is supremely annoying (not the lead, she's great). a couple of the female leads are Justified alumni (ava crowder being one). very much recommend checking it out. and the true story is pretty crazy, if you feel like checking that out.
Wow was s2 of this show a huge dropoff in quality. By the end of it i just wanted to punt every single character. They put a teaser at the end like there’s going to be an s3. If so, i predict it will be fucking awful. There are maybe three good actors in this ensemble. Everyone else is wooden as hell, which just accents how by-the-book this show is. So structured and predictable in an unbelievable way. Oof.

White Lotus - i don't really know how to best describe this show. rich assholes go on vacation? but it's overall a great cast and i quite enjoyed watching it. lots of hateable people, some comedy, some drama, and a tight six episodes. i'd recommend checking it out.

Brooklyn 99 - been watching and enjoying this show from the beginning, but s8e1 was so fucking bad and full of woke bullshit that i don't even want to continue to see this final season. they should have just stopped if this is what they were going to do. sad.