Re: Justice League (2017)

Under the heading of be careful what you wish for, I just finished the Snyder cut. Now there's too much fucking character development. Everyone has a backstory, and by god we're going to have sit through it all.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Watched the Snyder Cut last night. It was infinitely better than the original, but still had some un-fixable problems that were in the script, i assume. Those problems and/or assumptions they require the audience to make were not nearly as magnified in this cut. If you weren’t paying too much attention or familiar with the material, you could potentially not even notice some things. There were a couple CGI scenes that looked more like video games, but for the most part the CGI was really good. That probably speaks more to how advanced games have become than anything else. I still think eisenberg is the worst possible casting for lex luthor. It’s like someone handed them a list of potentials for the role and they started reading it bottom-up, so he was first on the list. Luckily he’s not in this very much at all. And of course, Superman is still a giant selfish dick, only stopping short of murdering the world due to Lois happening upon the scene. But like I said, the problems with this now are script and story related. The film doesn’t seem as choppy and slapped-together. Turns out Snyder did in fact have a vision for the film and is capable of delivering it. Whether or not you like that is the question.

For me, i’m reminded of how little i really like most of the DC universe. I was never into much DC, outside of Batman, when i was huge into comics. Trying to take the most goofy, nerdy hero of Aquaman and making him the most cool and hunky doesn’t really help. Even at its best, DC was still not something that did much for me. Even when Bats would have crossovers that i’d have to buy/read in JL, JLA, or The Outsiders, for example, it was almost always immediately forgettable for me. So as far as the comic side goes, i may not be the best judge of this. I never gave a “flying fuck” about superman (outside of the first two movies with Reeves), didn’t ever read The Flash, definitely didn’t read WW, though I did watch the show, “wet Thor” was cool and all but i was very conscious of how much they wanted me to forget the orange-and-green tights and him water skiing on sea horses or dolphins or whatever his power was, and Cyborg was a character I liked but didn’t like what he was in, as previously stated. So bring all that “blah” together and while it may be greater than the sum of its parts, it still just kind of there for me when compared to MCU. I will say WW is better playing off Batman. I’m liking that relationship. The two WW movies were ok at best, but if the do plow forward with more JL movies, she will probably continue to be the best part. Affleck’s Batman is only OK. I found him kind of annoying actually, and Batman is one of my favorite characters. Flash was fine, but again, all I could think of was how much he is like Spider-Man. And Steppenwolf was both a ridiculously-named character and way, way over the top. Which, i guess you need that in order for it to make sense to pull all these characters together. Darkseid will be cool, i did like how he came across, matched with how i always envisioned him. It was also really bothering me that all the Amazons using bows, they would pull right but the arrow would be on the left side of the bow. I’ve never seen anyone do that in life. Not that I’m an expert in archery, but that’s not how i was taught or have ever seen people shoot, so i kept focusing on it, especially because there were many, many close-up shots of people shooting that way. Shrug.

I think it's normal to have the arrow on the left side of the bow if you're pulling back with your right hand.

As for the rest, I don't know if I'll ever watch the Superman or Justice League movies. DC seems to be a mess. I haven't seen anything since Christian Bale as Batman except the first Wonder Woman because my wife was keen on that one, and it was fine.