Re: Twin Peaks [2017]

Yeah that's a fun but essentially diplomatic and sometimes bland interview. I don't necessarily think she's being dishonest in that Frost and Lynch wouldn't expect you to watch the episodes concurrently on first viewing. But considering what they clearly did with episode 15, with Coop jamming the fork in the outlet and the girl at the Road House doing the same thing, there's some synchronious shit going on.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I think there's a middle ground here. There can be symmetry to events without the entire episodes actually outright matching each other. In fact playing with it a bit the other day I'd say some you could make a case for, some is a stretch at best and some things doesn't match at all. Apophenia's a hell of a drug.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

_Marcus_ wrote:Do we know if the short interview promos they shot are being released as longer making-of interviews or something like it in a future bluray release?
you have to watch them all simultaneously.

darkness wrote:In the ama the producer said CBS has "something special" planned for the blu-ray release. With every copy Lynch comes to your house and talks you through the ending?
multi-timeline branching would be nice. every viewing is like a "choose your own adventure" story. but i know that wouldn't happen with lynch. i just want to see someone take advantage of the tech in that way.

darkness wrote:In the ama the producer said CBS has "something special" planned for the blu-ray release. With every copy Lynch comes to your house and talks you through the ending?
Speaking of which, is there a summary of the AMA with Sutherland anywhere? Going through an AMA within reddit is akin to shooting oneself in the face.

_Marcus_ wrote:Speaking of which, is there a summary of the AMA with Sutherland anywhere? Going through an AMA within reddit is akin to shooting oneself in the face.
Here's a summary:
CBS has something "special" planned for the blu-rays
Lynch hasn't read any of the books Frost has written
Ontkean declined to appear for personal reasons
There's no talk of an future episodes by anyone right now.
Bowie gave permission for his scenes to be used before his death
Tim Roth asked for more scenes and were given them.
Lynch knows exactly what he wanted to happen at the end and did it
James is cool.
Lynch doesn't use storyboards, he has it all in his head and will sometimes make a drawing for a crew member if he needs to explain something. Notebooks full of these exist (the Art of Twin Peaks book anyone?).
Pretty much everything shot was used in the final series. Lynch wrote some new scenes that weren't in the script while filming. Anything new was shown to Frost, but he never asked for or made any changes.
The most difficult scene to shoot was the shootout in front of Dougie's house because of all the moving parts to coordinate
Lynch was the lone approver of everything in the show down to the last stitch
The scene of Cooper going into the night of Laura's death uses some FWWM footage and some new footage
Watching episode 17 and 18 overlapped is not the way to watch them.
All actors were given their scenes before their deals were closed
Annie was never in the script
Most of it was shot in location order
She hinted Donna might have been in the original script but got cut due to the actress during it down
How Lynch envisions a scene doesn't usually conform to the minute per page script formula
Lynch wanted Michael Anderson to be in the show but he declined. Then he went nuts (okay, I added that last part, it's not from the AMA)
There's a retrospective on Lynch's work coming out later this year
Once David and Mark finished writing the main script, David then had complete creative control. He decided on the locations, the cast, the look and sound of this season. Everything is written ahead of shooting, but sometimes there would be new scenes or new dialogue that would be given to the actors on set if David came up with a new idea or something needed to be changed for some reason. David talks with the actors first and explains everything they need to know about the scene and what he wants. Then, he will have a rehearsal with just the actors (and a couple of key people) and talk more with them. After that, he will call in the rest of the crew for another rehearsal so camera, props, etc. can see where the camera will be and how things will happen in the scene. After that, the camera, grip, and lighting crews set up everything for the scene. The actors rest during this period and then come back when the camera is ready to shoot.
Lynch tells the best stories over coffee
All the music and acts that appeared were chosen by Lynch himself
She reiterated that episodes 17 and 18 were not meant to be watched together
She's not giving any answers to any of the mysteries.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

there was also an anecdote about how david had creative control over everything - diane's lipstick color wasn't quite right. they tried tons of different shades, nothing was right. so lynch had them make the color for her. that's how minute he got.

has ontkean ever said what his reasons were? and man, i'd love to hear the conversation between lynch & mike when mike said no. what the hell was he thinking? his chance to return to his "biggest" role.

and yes, hearing about lynch's sketches, first thing i thought was an "art of TP" book as well. and knowing hawk painted his own scroll for that scene, i bet there's more.

WTTP wrote:David Lynch Explains Phillip Jeffries Is Not A Tea Kettle And Why We Didn’t Hear David Bowie’s Voice

David Lynch absolutely wanted David Bowie back in the new Twin Peaks, the director confirms in an interview with Pitchfork. When the singer declined, his people would not explain why he couldn’t do it. Bowie did permit the use of footage from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, but only under one condition: it would have to be without his voice.

“I think someone must have made him feel bad about his Louisiana accent in Fire Walk With Me, but I think it’s so beautiful. He wanted to have it done by a legitimate actor from Louisiana, so that’s what we had to do. The guy did a great job.”

“The guy” is voice actor Nathan Frizzell. “Intimidating shoes to fill, so I just did the best I could to honor Bowie. I probably watched the old Bowie footage twenty times on the day of filming alone,” Nathan tells Welcome to Twin Peaks. “Being from New Orleans, my agent asked me to send some samples in. Then there were a few more rounds of recording stories followed by dialogue and then right as I was convincing myself they’d cast someone else- they not only told me I had the job, but exactly what it was, which of course, blew my mind.”

David Lynch never told David Bowie about the alternative form he came up with for Phillip Jeffries, which —for the record— is not a tea kettle.

“I sculpted that part of the machine that has that tea kettle spout thing,” David Lynch tells Pitchfork, “but I wish I’d just made it straight, because everybody thinks it’s a tea kettle. It’s just a machine.”
also:
Vulture wrote:How the Laura Palmer House’s Actual Homeowner Ended Up in Twin Peaks: The Return’s Final Scene

Do you know what happened at the conclusion of Twin Peaks: The Return? If you do, feel free to tell us. But what we do know only adds to the mystery surrounding those final few moments: Mary Reber, the current, actual homeowner of the Palmer residence in Everett, Washington, portrayed the fictional homeowner Alice Tremond in the last scene, where she matter-of-factly informs Agent Cooper and Carrie Page that the Palmer family never resided in the home. Reber, who’s lived in the house for three years and has no prior acting experience, recently hopped on the phone with Vulture to discuss her big moment on the show.

How long have you been living in the house?
We purchased this house in September of 2014. We’ve been here since and love it. We really love this house. It was one of those things where we wanted to buy our first home and we thought we’d get a little more bang for our buck up in Everett. They had an open house and we found it that way.

Were you aware of its Twin Peaks significance before you bought it, and if fans were known to frequently visit?
We knew about Twin Peaks. Our son had told us about Twin Peaks. I was raising my young kids in the late ’80s and early ’90s, and didn’t happen to watch it then. But we started watching it about seven or eight years ago. We knew this was the Palmer home, but it’s not why we purchased the home. We just really loved the home and wanted to live in this specific area. We didn’t have any clue about what to expect with fans — but we love people and love bringing people through the home that haven’t been able to see it. And it’s a real joy to us.

Should I assume there’s been a massive uptick in visitors since The Return’s premiere?
Oh, yes, that’s kind of an understatement. [Laughs.] There’s been a lot of people coming through. Some people call and make an appointment to come in and see the house, and we’re happy to do so. We’ve met some great people from abroad. Obviously we don’t let everybody come through, but there’s been a lot of visitors since the finale in particular.

You’re so much nicer than the previous owners of the Full House house! They gave it a new paint job to dissuade people from visiting.
Oh, yeah, and think of the owners of the Breaking Bad house! They’re throwing pizzas on the roof of that place. So we’re hoping everybody keeps it low-key and just wants to come by and see the house. We’re happy to do so, because the lady who lived here beforehand didn’t let people see the house. So we’re getting people who watched the show when it originally aired and had been waiting to see the house. That’s really fun for us.

When you were initially contacted about using your home in The Return, were you given any indication that David Lynch wanted you to act in the scene?
That came much later, definitely.

When those conversations with David happened, what were they like?
The crew had revisited a lot of the locations, from what I understand, in late 2014 and early 2015. When they initially came here on New Year’s Day in 2015, they took a walk through the house. With those discussions then, we really had no idea what was going on. It was the second visit, which was a few months later, when I was standing in the kitchen and David walked up to me and said, Have you ever acted? I said no. Are you an actress at all, ma’am? I said not at all. Would you like to do a small part in the show? I said absolutely, that would be amazing. It’s really strange because when he did ask me, I told my husband when the crew left, and he said, Boy, that’s the only time I’ve seen you quiet! Because it really was quite the shock. Right away from that point, David said, I would just need you to be natural and act naturally. He put me at ease and made me feel like it would be a really great experience, and it was.

Was he forthcoming in wanting you to play the homeowner?
When he initially asked me if I wanted to do that small part, he didn’t tell me who it was. I had no idea what it would entail or any backstory whatsoever. So it was a surprise to me, too. You’re given your script shortly before you start filming, and that’s the first time I knew that I was going to be Alice Tremond. He didn’t tell me to act a certain way or do anything other than be natural. I had no idea how it fit into the story at all. I just did the part with Kyle and Sheryl and we had no idea. We didn’t know we were going to be in the final scene. Absolutely none until we saw it on our television. It’s amazing how David works — you just do your part and it all fits in and it’s a surprise to you, too. That particular scene was shot in one evening.

You did magnificently! And to share the scene with Kyle and Sheryl to boot.
It was a combination of a healthy fear and excitement. I’m not one to usually get up in front of people and talk, but David is such a fantastic director. He puts you at ease and you just do it. You can feel the excitement. It was just really cool. Kyle and Sheryl were probably two of my favorite people to have done a scene with. They were very encouraging at the same time, whenever we took a break. Great job! You’re doing a great job! It was a cool, smooth experience. One of the really fun things for me, since I’ve never done this before, was walking into the makeup and hair trailer and looking over to my left and seeing Cooper’s slicked-back hair. I was like, wow, this is really cool. I tried not to geek out or anything, I tried to act cool! I was sitting there and getting made up, and Sheryl was sitting next to me and we chatted a little bit. It was neat to be able to talk to both of them before the scene, I think that really helped.

Why do you think David felt it was important to have you, the actual homeowner, play the homeowner in the show?
I have absolutely no clue, and if you ask him that type of question, which we did, he said: That’s something you just don’t need to know. And that was fine with us — we did what we needed to do. I did my part, and that’s how it all turned out. We’re supposed to kind of not know, in a way. What happened in the show is based on a lot of people’s interpretations.

Were your neighbors concerned with all of Sheryl’s screams?
Thankfully, the location people did such a great job going to each house within the “scream zone” and gave them a piece of paper that said there was going to be some filming late at night, and there was going to be some screaming, and to not call the police or do anything rash. The people who didn’t want to be around weren’t around, and the people who did were circling around the house trying to see what was going on.

I still have the chills from those screams.
Oh, I know, same! [Laughs.] And we actually have the television that Sarah Palmer watched her shows on in the living room. That’s our television set. So it was cool to watch the finale on that TV. So many layers!

I have a fun spoiler from The Final Dossier if anyone wants it.
The girl at the end of Episode 8 is in fact Sarah Judith Novak Palmer
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:I have a fun spoiler from The Final Dossier if anyone wants it.
The girl at the end of Episode 8 is in fact Sarah Judith Novak Palmer
Well shit... Clicked the spoiler even though I didn't want to know. Oh well. There's alot more to read, I guess :)