Re: Godzilla (2014)

I liked PacRim just fine for what it was, have now watched it 3 or 4 times and it's far from perfect albeit highly enjoyable at times. This looks to be more of a straight up disaster flick, looks like the imagery is well-handled, remains to be seen what kind of story and character he'll bring to the proceedings.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

godzilla_ver6_xxlg.jpg
i feel like the scale of the beast keeps changing. looks to be 200 stories tall now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just saw it, pretty good. I am not a big fan of the source material--not that I dislike it, I just have never watched any of them--so I can't make comparisons to any of the prior stuff, I'm sure there's lots of winks/nods. It is old fashioned to the point of ponderous at times, and I was really starting to get annoyed with the sneaky don't-show-the-monster strategy until the end, when there are several points where you want to stand up and cheer. Won't say any more than that until others have seen it.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Wow, came back to post this awesome easter egg from the credits and see nobody else bothered? Anyway, great credit sequence with documents being furiously redacted. You can't even see this without the freeze frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's a pretty lame redaction really. They should have made it redacted to say "One who knocks" or something along those lines. At least put a little effort into it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

My wife and I are binge-watching Breaking Bad for the first time, and we finally got to the "One who knocks" moment in Season 4 the other night. I'd seen the reference before, and now I finally understand it in context.

so, i watched godzilla over the weekend. it was pretty good, entertaining. except goddamn why does he have abs (see image below)?? honestly really didn't like his "look" - super-huge & long back legs, squat torso, no neck... was just not as menacing as he could have been. i did love the spine on him, though. the mothra things were cool, loved watching them destroy vegas. lots of plot holes in this, to the point where it seemed they were intentionally ignoring most things that didn't further the monsters, just like the old-school films, so kind of amusing. oh, and
figured from the commercial that cranston was in the whole thing, but holy shit do they kill him off early. that was surprising.
. thought the resemblance of their little "reactor village" to the simpsons' springfield was hilarious. i'd probably watch it again.
Godzilla---Mar-2014-014.jpg

So i kind of lost touch with this and didn’t really realize it had become a “universe”. I didn’t see Kong: Skull Island, or apparently another Godzilla movie between this one and now, but I watched Godzilla vs. Kong last night. At the beginning, we were really laughing. Every line of dialog is exposition and explaining exactly what you’re going to be watching. It was Neil Breen level dialog. But luckily, like the original Godzilla films, the concerns of humans don’t last long before we get into the shit. It was pretty impressive looking. There were some very cool scenes, even outside of the monsters themselves. I wish they had at least retained elements of the original theme music, and I wish they had retained elements of Godzilla’s iconic roar, but really, it was pretty fun if you want to spend a couple hours with giant monsters fighting. I enjoyed it, would probably watch again.

I was actually kind of disappointed with GvK. The Gozilla King of the Monsters-film was ok'ish but I really liked Skull Island. All the talk was that GvK was supposed to be rollercoaster-ride of, you know, big, stupid and fun but apart from the actual fight scenes between the monsters, the film was complete (and I mean COMPLETE) nonsense. I get that you dont need, or perhaps want, character development and any sort of depth what so ever in these films but this was almost comical in the way every character in the entire film was there only for exposition and nothing more.

Thats shot of Kong and Godzilla on the boat though... Almost made the film worth it.