Constantine (t.v. series)

This could be cool.

inShare.

Comic book properties have dominated the box office, and now they're making a big splash back on television, where many of Marvel and DC's characters made their live action debuts long ago. A John Constantine TV show is in development at NBC, reports Deadline. The gruff magician and detective of the supernatural is largely known to the masses from the eponymous 2005 feature film headlined by Keanu Reeves, but Constantine was originally created by Alan Moore in 1985, and he was the main character of Vertigo's Hellblazer comic, which ran for over 20 years before it was replaced by DC Comics' Constantine earlier this year.

NBC has purchased the rights for an adaptation of Constantine for television, and so far the network has committed to a script (with a penalty if it decides to cease development of the show), according to The Hollywood Reporter. David Goyer — who wrote for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel — and Daniel Cerone, the executive producer of The Mentalist and the first three seasons of Dexter, will work on the project with Warner Bros. Television and DC Comics.

The news comes just days after Fox committed to a TV series named Gotham, focused on Batman's friend Commissioner Gordon. In addition the CW is getting a comic book series of its own in Flash, and ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premiered earlier this week.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/27/47770 ... ped-by-nbc
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Constantine (t.v. series)

give the brutality of rape, incest, drug use and semi-torture in the source material, i'm wondering how this will actually happen. the movie was kind of watered-down, this would have to be even more. that being said, hannibal is pretty brutal. here's to crossing fingers.

I'm thinking the same thing. There's no way they can make this cover all the ground it should. Not just the things you mention, but there are a lot of things I'm sure the religious folk would consider blasphemous. I'm sure the Catholic League will have a field day with this one.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:I'm thinking the same thing. There's no way they can make this cover all the ground it should. Not just the things you mention, but there are a lot of things I'm sure the religious folk would consider blasphemous. I'm sure the Catholic League will have a field day with this one.
yeah, we have them to thank for the cancellation of the new dark shadows 20 years ago, which was really fucking good.

THR wrote:Harold Perrineau, Lucy Griffiths to Co-Star in NBC's 'Constantine'
"True Detective's" Charles Halford has also boarded the DC Comics adaptation starring Matt Ryan.

The drama, based on the Hellblazer graphic novels, has tapped True Blood's Lucy Griffiths and Lost's Harold Perrineau to co-star, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Constantine centers on master of the occult John Constantine (Criminal Minds' Matt Ryan), who struggles with his faith as he is haunted by the sins of his past and is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness.

Griffiths will play Liv, the female lead and an offbeat young lady who finds herself teamed with Constantine after she is marked for death by a powerful demon. With the ability to see the supernatural world among us, she becomes a key player in the battle between good and evil. Griffiths (Robin Hood) is repped by DBA, Principal Entertainment and Hamilton Hodell.

Perrineau is set to portray Manny, an authoritative angel assigned to watch over Constantine. He has the power to step into other people’s bodies, and although he is meant only to observe, Manny will not hesitate to help out if he can save a life. Perrineau (The Wedding Band, Sons of Anarchy) is with APA.

Additionally, Charles Halford (True Detective, The Event) is cast as Chas, Constantine's oldest friend and staunch companion. The foreboding Chas possesses powerful survival skills that might possibly be supernatural. He's repped by Henderson and HG Entertainment.

From Warner Bros. Television, Dexter's Daniel Cerone penned the teleplay and crafted the story alongside David Goyer (Batman Begins). Neil Marshall will direct the pilot, which will film in Atlanta.

I didn't mind the movie. Looks like he's now a nonsmoker in PC 2014 teevee land. This essentially looks like what will run in Hannibal's late spot on Fridays, so if they give them the free reign they give that, they should be able to cover a lot of nasty ground.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

here we go...
io9 wrote:John Constantine Won't Be Smoking On TV

Producer David S. Goyer says he fought to keep it, but it looks like John Constantine's trademark chain-smoking will not make it to the TV adaptation of DC's Constantine.

Said Neil Marshall, who directed the show's pilot, in a recent interview with Collider:
...it's the one thing you can't smoke on network. That's one of his character traits. We're working around that. We're trying to get aspects of it in there as much as possible. We'll see.

...the smoking is very frustrating. Who knows where it will go; where the story will go; where the character will go? There's still lots of options.
Frustrating, of course, given the grislier aspects of the show itself (to say nothing of the vice-ridden nature of prime time television in general), but also for the sake of plot. As fans of the comics will recall, Constantine's nasty smoking habit winds up being more than a minor character detail. Curious to see how the writing team works its way out of this one.
rapey stuff? no problem. tons of killing? great. smoking? oh fuck that. really not sure how true to the character they can be without his trademark vice.

tomorrow. oh, and now he smokes. some, i guess?
DH wrote:"Constantine" Producer On Smoking, Sex

NBC finally debuts "Constantine," its adaptation of the "Hellblazer" comics, tomorrow night in the United States. Matt Ryan takes on the role of John Constantine from the comics in an interpretation that's expected to hew closer to the source material than the Keanu Reeves-led 2005 film adaptation.

For starters the look and accent are much more like the chain-smoking bisexual demon hunter from the comics, the personality is as well. But what about the smoking and the odd gay fling? Thirty years ago you could get away with the odd bit of smoking on broadcast TV whilst gay sex scenes were completely taboo.

These days the opposite is in effect, gay and bisexual characters with active sex lives aren't a big deal but smoking is very much a no-no. Networks, especially the non-cable ones, are famous for NOT allowing characters to light up on their shows.

Yet it is a crucial part of this particular character. While the flings with men was only a very minor and ultimately throwaway part of the comic, John Constantine's non-pole smoking has been a crucial aspect of the character from the beginning. In a new interview with CBR (via Cinema Blend), executive producer and developer Daniel Cerone says they will be showing the smoking and have had long discussions about what they can show:

"Is he chain-smoking? Absolutely. We're limited by what we can show. We just hope comic book fans understand that. Instead of decrying the fact that they don’t see him with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth in every scene, we're hoping they will actually give us credit for really trying to stay true to the character."

Cerone isn't in a rush to show the bisexual aspects of Constantine, though isn't entirely ruling it out. More likely, it sounds like the series won't focus on the character's romantic life much let alone its more colorful aspects:

Could that exist in our universe? Sure. Look, we are following the course of the comic. I don't mean this as a cop-out at all. The comic ran for a very long time, presenting a character and building out this character, who was different with many passions and conflicts and torments and tragedies. That's what we're hanging our stories on."

Whatever they are doing, NBC likes it as they've already given the show an extended episode order even before the premiere's ratings are in.

watching the latest episode after getting caught up over the last couple days. it's pretty damn good. the most recent episode had a Belphegor poster featured. constantine smokes, but we see him putting out cigs, pulling them out to light, see him smoking from behind, just never putting it in his mouth (so far). it's not a big deal. having to replace the female lead after the first episode was a little distracting but it's fine. i'm definitely sticking with it.

Alexhead wrote:Kind of cracks me up that you DC whores haven't been watching Gotham.
You have me mistaken with someone else sir. Marvel forever, DC never! Even as a kid my monthly comic diet was X-Men, Avengers, Web of Spider-man and Cloak and Dagger. The only DC comic I ever read was Star Trek.
Just cut them up like regular chickens