Wayward Pines

DigitalSpy wrote:M Night Shyamalan on new TV show: 'I'm not copying Twin Peaks'
M Night Shyamalan has played down the link between his new TV show Wayward Pines and cult classic Twin Peaks.

Wayward Pines will star Matt Dillon as a secret service agent on the hunt for his missing colleagues, with early publicity comparing the show to David Lynch and Mark Frost's early '90s drama.

"I'm not copying anybody," After Earth director Shyamalan told IGN. "I don't like copying anything, so the specificity will be the way you'll know that it's different."

Shyamalan did acknowledge that Twin Peaks remains an "iconic" piece of television, adding: "Stepford Wives is another kind of touchstone for me in terms of odd tone, like, 'What's going on? Why's everyone acting so weird?'

"That vibe... if that's what you're feeling, we're in a good place."

Wayward Pines is to air on Fox in the US in 2014.

Re: Wayward Pines

[youtube][/youtube]

gratuitous ceiling fan shot, gratuitous broken mirror shot, general vibe... jesus, how does this guy not get sued?

cracked has a great take on it: (from http://www.cracked.com/article_21964_5- ... ar_p2.html)
M. Night Shyamalan's "New" TV Show Is Lost Set in Twin Peaks Starring Mulder and Scully

In a shocking twist, M. Night Shyamalan is out of ideas. The new limited-run Fox TV series Wayward Pines, for which Shyamalan is one of the directors and executive producers, takes place in an eerie small town that looks suspiciously like Twin Peaks.
383952_v1.jpg
383954_v1.jpg
While originally acknowledging the influence of David Lynch's classic show, Shyamalan later publicly stated that Wayward Pines has "nothing to do with" Twin Peaks, probably in the same way RC Cola has nothing to do with Coke. Though, in all fairness to M., the show doesn't seem to be just a ripoff of Twin Peaks -- it's also a huge ripoff of Lost. Wayward Pines begins with the main character waking up in a suit in the middle of the woods, beginning with a close-up of his eye. Hopefully Disc 1 of Season 1 of Lost is given an associate producer credit.

Turns out that's Secret Service Agent Ethan Burke (Juliet Burke and Ethan, both characters from Lost, by the way) who later swings by the local sheriff's office -- here the sheriff is played by Terrence Howard, not the guy from Twin Peaks. Different!
383960_v1.jpg
383962_v1.jpg
In search of two missing agents, Burke stumbles on a happy, seemingly perfect community where people have been apparently brainwashed into submission, again like Lost.

One of which is the tall, handsome agent's partner, Kate (also a main character's name from Lost), who -- you guessed it -- is a redheaded white woman.

At which point it becomes alarmingly clear why Fox greenlit this show.
384024_v1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deadline wrote:‘Wayward Pines’ To Premiere On Fox Globally At Midnight

Fox Broadcasting and Fox International Channels will preview the premiere episode of Wayward Pines for one week beginning tonight at midnight ET/PT in advance of the series’ global premiere. The episode will be available free on Fox on Demand via participating pay-TV providers, including AT&T U-verse, Bright House Networks, Cablevision, Charter, Cox, DIRECTV, Mediacom, Suddenlink, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, XFINITY, among others. Fans can also stream the episode free at Fox.com, Fox Now and Hulu, as well as Facebook and also will be available via Amazon Instant Video, Google Play, PlayStation® Store, VUDU and Xbox Video.

Wayward Pines premieres Thursday, May 14 at 9 PM on Fox. Debuting simultaneously in more than 126 countries, it will be the world’s largest day-and-date launch for a scripted series ever. The 10-episode psychological thriller is based on Blake Crouch’s international best-selling series of books and adapted for television by Chad Hodge and executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan.

haven't watched it yet, but here's this:
“M. Night Shyamalan presented an early screening of his Fox television series 'Wayard Pines', followed by a Q&A. When an audience member asked about the 'Twin Peaks' vibe of the show, Shyamalan acknowledged that Blake Crouch, the author of the original 'Wayward Pines' trilogy, is a fan of the series. Shyamalan also expressed his admiration for Lynch, and stated that while writing his current project he keeps a copy of Lynch’s 'Blue Velvet' close by on his desk for inspiration.”

Watched it last night, meh. It rips off all sorts of things, not just X-Files and Twin Peaks. It even opens up with two shots directly cribbed from the LOST opening. American Horror Story is the last show I can think of that brazenly flaunted its influences but managed to get away with it; not sure this one's going to be as successful. Now, it wasn't horrible. It just didn't leave me salivating for more. Juliette Lewis is lookin' pretty good, so there's that.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

or not.
watched the first two episodes last night, she doesn't even make it through the 2nd. they straight up publically executed her.
yes the show clearly - and blatantly - rips off TP (where does one draw the line between homage and rip off?) as a foundation but he's taking it to completely different places. doesn't appear to be very spiritual/magic/occult/whatever happenings here, mostly "they" type of stuff. second one was more interesting as it raised the stakes exponentially, i'll keep watching.

TC wrote:or not.
watched the first two episodes last night, she doesn't even make it through the 2nd. they straight up publically executed her.
Yeah, that one took me a bit by surprise. I agree that it's not riveting-must-see, but I'll probably hang on to watch all 10 episodes.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

holy shit, last night's episode was fucking crazy. i totally did NOT see
him just straight-up murdering that sherrif. they are killing off all the "name" actors, one per episode. to be fair, he DID tell him that if he messed with his family again, he'd kill him. promise kept. and what the fuck was with the crazed beast/demon/whatever at the end?
the show is definitely going its own way. then again, i haven't read the books, so i have no idea. but maybe in retrospect, only the first couple episodes and the marketing were ripping off previous hits? guess we'll find out. either way, m. knight is proving to be much more effective at TV than film. but i swear that if this thing pulls the rug out in the last episode, i'm going to hunt him down myself.

uh...wow. is anyone else still watching? last night's episode was "the truth". how in the hell could this be true? i have a lot of questions, and have to wait two weeks for a new episode for some reason.

Human beings have changed very little in the past 100,000 years. The idea that they could "devolve" into those stupid monsters in 2,000 years is utterly ridiculous, as is the whole concept and justification for maintaining the town and the executions, or the idea that they could just survive secretly and unaided in cryogenic suspension for that length of time. A whole show of spoken exposition cannot cover these basic idiocies. Basically, the writer wanted to go from A to C and ignored the fact that B made no sense whatsoever. Ultra dumb show.
Last edited by TC on 20/06/15, 07:59:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: jesus, spoiler alert

yeah, i think we have to assume that there was some kind of "event" that a) killed most of the non-suspended humans (but then who takes care of them?), and b) mutated the ones that survived. regardless, the show is about a town that is surrounded by an impenetrable great wall of montana. of course it's about suspension of disbelief.

Good sci-fi/fantasy works a believable narrative around its imaginary concepts, eg. in Dawn of the Dead, the dead are coming back to life and attacking the living, this is a fantastical concept, yet the way society and the characters in the film respond to this happening is well reasoned and believable. By contrast, in WP, characterisation and logic are permanently relegated by the broad desire to create a mash-up of Twin Peaks, The Prisoner, Jurassic Park, The Wicker Man and The Walking Dead.

holy fucking shit, for anyone that was still watching, that was the biggest, cop-out, "stephen king-esque" bullshit ending i've ever seen. that is the reason i quit reading king's books. i realize this is based on a series of books, but if that's how it goes in the books, they should be sued.

Ha, glad I gave up. Out of the seemingly endless parade of new summer genre series only Mr. Robot and Humans have stuck with us. Highly recommend Mr. Robot.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

klimov wrote:Pitching for a second season which has been denied.
wrong.

ok, after watching this, the ending of S1 makes sense. would have been bullshit if they didn't come back, but this shows why they did what they did. +jason patrick.

[youtube][/youtube]