Re: New Tron Races On!!

The Tron Evolution game is out now. It's actually tied into the movie plot and forms a kind of stand-alone prequel, acting as a bridge between the two movies.

Unfortunately, it was developed by the same company that made the Turok re-release. Suffice to say, the game is a complete and utter abomination. I eventually grabbed a trainer for it, and even with that, it was unbearable (especially when you consider how awesome the previous game was, Monolith's Tron 2.0; unfortunately, Monolith have been broken up since).

I really was hoping to at least follow the plot of it before seeing the movie, but you know, hanging by my dick and grating my balls with an industrial rasper would be more enjoyable.

from some clip about rental discs not having extras on them anymore:
theaters are getting their own version of DVD extras with the release of Disney’s Tron Legacy on Dec 17. Those sporting IMAX screens — some 234 nationally and 30 internationally — will be offering 43 minutes of additional footage, especially shot for the giant screen.
FYI. the lesson - see it on IMAX or don't bother. i mean damn, 43 minutes?? that's HUGE.

theaters are getting their own version of DVD extras with the release of Disney’s Tron Legacy on Dec 17. Those sporting IMAX screens — some 234 nationally and 30 internationally — will be offering 43 minutes of additional footage, especially shot for the giant screen.
The person who wrote that is slightly mistaken. It's not that there's 43 minutes of additional footage in the Imax versions, it's that 43 minutes of the film was shot in Imax and will be shown at full Imax resolution in Imax theaters ala The Dark Knight. So no extra scenes if you go to the Imax theater, just higher resolution versions of some scenes.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:The person who wrote that is slightly mistaken. It's not that there's 43 minutes of additional footage in the Imax versions, it's that 43 minutes of the film was shot in Imax and will be shown at full Imax resolution in Imax theaters ala The Dark Knight. So no extra scenes if you go to the Imax theater, just higher resolution versions of some scenes.
yeah... that makes way more sense. christ.

TC wrote:so tron guy liked it... and by "liked it" i mean they're still cleaning the screen of his spunk:
I like how he says he was left out of the new movie only because Disney wanted to distance it from the original (didn't seem to apply to Jeff Btridges and Bruce Boxleitner), and not because he's just some creepy guy in a bad Tron suit online.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

here are some spoiler-free snips from this hugely negative review: http://io9.com/5714411/tron-legacy-is-a ... vie+making
It's technically a nice-looking movie, but the visuals aren't really that interesting after a while, and even most of the action sequences are dull, and filmed in a way that drains a lot of the excitement out of them. Where Tron got you pumped up about the thrilling world inside your computer, Tron Legacy just bombards you with crap.
There was just Jeff Bridges looking apathetic in the middle of an incomprehensible special effect.

That pretty much sums up the movie.

I am a huge fan of action movies, including dumb-but-fun action movies. I would watch Vin Diesel make a sandwich. I thought Gamer was a blast, and Dragonball Evolution was surprisingly fun. I called Avatar a "nearly perfect movie," except that I thought the Na'vi were silly. I loved J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, and quite liked the first Transformers. And I lowered my expectations a lot before I saw Tron Legacy, thanks to some bad early reviews — but, even with ultra-low expectations, I still found Tron Legacy a horrible letdown. It's not a fun-but-dumb action movie, it's a lifeless mess.
So this sterile computer world, which hasn't had any outside input in 20 years, is sort of a metaphor for Tron Legacy itself — this is not a film about the world inside your computer. It's not a film about how you interact with technology, or how you use technology. Instead, it's just a mindless update of the original Tron, except with a ton of buggy code installed on top of it. Everything is copied straight from the original Tron, but it's cut off from the inspirations that fueled the original Tron. So it feels pointless — like a computer in someone's basement that was built for no purpose other than noodling on, twenty years ago.
I didn't need it to be clever, I didn't need it to be deep, I didn't really need a moving father-son story, although I wasn't opposed to any of those things. I just needed something as fun, exciting and affirming as Tron was.

Instead, we got a movie that feels like it was made by the MCP.

Fuck the haters, spring for the 3D glasses and enjoy the ride. If I hadn't had my kids with me I would have gone IMAX 3D, probably would have wet myself. Much better brainless eye candy than Avatar, plot and motivations are pretty full of gibberish once you get on the grid, but who cares?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Aw man, having an IMAX right next to my house is seriously awesome.

Saw it in 3D - it wasn't hugely impressive, but it certainly did work a lot better than some other movies that shoe-horn it in.

The film itself though... oh my. When the title music came on I think I may have made a milky mess in my pants. Seriously, the music, oh my fucking goodness! The mix of voice-to-music was even spot-on for once too. The only problem with this film was when a moth wandered across the(a?) projector lens (edit: Yes, and the fucking mouth on young Flynn Sr).

It was a rare occasion that I enjoyed a Hollywood reboot of an old film as much as the original.

I then made a bigger milky stain when Olivia Wilde showed up.

Then this chick showed up...
MV5BNTkyMzgwNzE5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQ1MjcxNA@@._V1._SX640_SY427_[1].jpg
[Not only is IMDB's new design utter shit, but they have some pretty funky filenames.]

--

Edit: Quite unrelated, but when waiting, I saw an advert for a Hubble Telescope documentary in 3D. It all actually looks quite respectable - until the end: "Narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio". Most of the cinema actually burst out laughing at that point, it was quite... reassuring. :v:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

while i was waiting, i saw a trailer for the 3D animal orphan film narrated by morgan freeman. it looks great, frankly.

this thing... drove well out of the way to see it on 3D IMAX. well worth the drive. a really great experience. i quite enjoyed the film overall. a few things:

pros:
- the soundtrack. not that DP could succeed at scoring just any film, but on this particular film it was a huge plus. a highlight.
- the overall visual appeal was staggering.
- the women. i mean, the clothing, but i only noticed it on the women
- the appearance of solaris 4, along with actual meaningful commands entered on the CLI.

cons:
- the young elder flynn. man was that a distraction. from far away, it was ok, but on the close-ups it felt like i was watching beowolf. well, somewhere between the graphics of the original TRON and beowolf. the mouth movements, no eyebrow inflections... just a huge distraction for me.
- there were about 20-30 minutes that could have easily been cut out of this and left for the home director's cut version. there was quite a bit of "down time" that could have been avoided. not that any of it was particularly "bad", just that i think in general it would have benefited from a quicker pace. if you really want to know, watch the director's cut.
- i kind of agree with the comments about the apparently incapable of expressing emotion actor that played sam flynn and the very apparent lebowski-isms of the elder bridges/flynn. a great many of it seemed like it wasn't there in the original. i understand the very brief mention of his zen studies over the years in TRON-land but where would that manner of speaking come from? not a huge deal, but i see the criticism.

i feel kind of dumb spending any degree of time dissecting this film as it's just meant to be a fun experience and as i said, overall it succeeded. my 9-yo really loved it, my 14-yo enjoyed it, and my woman that knows nothing about TRON enjoyed it. i do think it benefited from the 3D IMAX experience. the IMAX glasses are much more comfortable than the "real-D" glasses and the effect was appreciated by everyone.

again, the film coupled with the soundtrack, the look, the visuals.... it was all very fitting. the ending was suitable. i'm especially pleased that it appears CLU is gone so if there is a sequel we won't have to see the beowolf-esque distraction. but it was kind of fittingly ironic that the original aspired to do things with graphics that were impossible at the time the new one also tried to do something with graphics that isn't entirely possible/effective yet.

i'd recommend seeing this on the big screen in 3D. not sure it will be half as enjoyable at home. the soundtrack pumping is great.

An extra on the DVD, apparently meant to bridge between the first and second films. Haven't watched it yet.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yahoo wrote:Olivia Wilde Reteams With Garrett Hedlund for 'Tron 3'

Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund are set to return for Disney’s Tron 3.

The pair will reprise their characters from 2010’s Tron: Legacy in the sequel, which is being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Legacy was the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi film that took place inside a computer world known as the Grid and starred Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner. While not a hit at the time, it later drew a big cult following and became an influence on filmmakers and pop culture.

Decades later, Disney revisited the world with Legacy. The story revealed that the computer-programmer character played by Bridges had a son (Hedlund) who jumped into the Grid to find his father. Wilde was Quorra, an algorithm-made-flesh who also happened to kick butt.

Disney has been developing a sequel to Legacy since the movie grossed $400 million worldwide. Hedlund in 2012 said he would return to the visual-effects-heavy franchise, but that was when the project was circling a 2014 start.

The project is now looking to shoot this fall, likely in Vancouver, British Columbia. Plot details are being kept offline.

Justin Springer will be involved as a producer.

holy shit, tron 3 lives!
Deadline wrote:Disney Moving On ‘Tron: Ares’; Joachim Rønning In Talks To Helm Jared Leto In Sci-Fi Sequel: The Dish

EXCLUSIVE: A new installment of Tron is coming back online. The Dish hears that Disney is in early negotiations to set Joachim Rønning to direct Jared Leto in Tron: Ares. The film is crewing up, eyeing an August start date in Vancouver.

Deals aren’t complete yet, but this would mark the fourth collaboration between Disney and the Norwegian filmmaker who helmed Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. He has wrapped for the studio the Daisy Ridley-starrer Young Woman and the Sea, about the daring journey of Gertrude Ederle, a New York teen who became the first woman to swim across the English Channel. Jeff Nathanson scripted it, and Jerry Bruckheimer produces with him.

Now it’s on to the Disney sci-fi franchise, which began with the 1982 film that starred Jeff Bridges and was set inside the computer program called the Grid, where a computer hacker is abducted and forced to participate in gladiatorial games. The first one wasn’t more than a cult favorite, though its special effects were seen as game-changing at the time. That following swelled around the film in years to come as it played on cable only helped grow its popularity, to the point where Disney decided to move forward with a sequel, Tron: Legacy, in 2010, with Bridges reprising his role and Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wilde joining the franchise. That film grossed $400 million globally, and Disney has been trying to figure out how to continue the franchise since.

The studio got close in 2017 with Leto. Now it will be in the hands of Rønning, who early on broke into Hollywood co-directing with Espen Sandberg Kon-Tiki, the 2013 film that was nominated for the Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar and chronicled Thor Heyerdah’s epic 4,300-mile crossing of the Pacific Ocean on a balsawood raft in 1947. Young Woman and the Sea isn’t slotted yet, but it has been testing strongly.

The Tron: Ares script is by Jesse Wigutow and is considered the sequel to Tron: Legacy, which was directed by Top Gun: Maverick‘s Joe Kosinski.

Sean Bailey and Sam Dickerman are the execs.

The producers are Justin Springer (Tron: Legacy), Leto, Jeffrey Silver and Leto’s Paradox partner Emma Ludbrook.

big d note wrote: 20/01/23, 11:53:06 Jared Leto sucks. He was the only bad part of BR: 2049. If he's the star, that does not give me hope for the Tron movie.
while i don't think he was "bad" in it, he was certainly the weakest part. he was fantastic as the giant asshole lunatic on WeCrashed. he was OK in The Outsider and good in Dallas Buyer's Club. fine in Panic Room and Requiem For A Dream, Fight Club, Thin Red Line. other than these, yeah he sucks. that joker was easily the worst thing i've ever seen DC agree to do.