Re: Mortal Kombat reboot

well shit....
G4 wrote:UPDATE: Mortal Kombat Trailer NOT Real!

Yesterday, a mysterious trailer for what appeared to be a new Mortal Kombat movie surfaced. However, the video just about left everyone scratching their heads about its origin. After speculation about it being a genuine trailer for a reboot film or some elaborate E3 promo, it seems that the final verdict is that it's fake. Well, it's "fake" in the sense that the film for which it represents does not currently exist. (It might one day.) It turns out that this was a test video which was shot to persuade Warner Bros. pictures to go a certain direction in their long-planned reboot of the franchise.

As one of the clip's stars Jeri ("Can Assimilate Me Any Day") Ryan tweeted:
"It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film. I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was. And I'm not sure how you can contact WB to push them to make it. But you guys are resourceful...! ;-)"
The test film was directed by an unlikely source in Kevin Tancharoen, who is known as a director of dance-related projects such as the recent remake of Fame and the TV series Dancelife. Choreography for those spectacular fight scenes were masterminded by Larnell Stovall, a stunt coordinator with a wealth of history on his resume, including the upcoming Green Lantern movie.

If this was a plan masterminded by an up-and-coming director to create a fan-driven campaign to get him a movie, then I have to say that it's got to be one of the best plans ever. While I wasn't too thrilled with the re-worked storyline, it was an awesome technical achievement. Knowing that it was just a test film that was likely on a shoestring budget, makes it seem that much more cool.

Re: Mortal Kombat reboot

Bloody Disgusting wrote:Warner Premiere's 'Mortal Kombat' Tourney Goes Websides!

So much for the proposed Mortal Kombat remake that Warner Bros. Pictures had hoped to get off the ground. Still, fans of the bloody battle are in for a treat as Bloody Disgusting learned that director Kevin Tancharoen - who directed the awesome online short - will return behind the camera for a 10-episode web series dedicated to the popular video game. Penned by Tancharoen, Todd Helbing, and Aaron Helbing, star Michael Jai White leads the cast as "Major Jackson 'Jax' Briggs. Shooting will take place in Vancouver this coming February. Contested expected to be cast are: Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Sub Zero, Durak, Kabal, Kitana/Mileena and of course Scorpion. No release date is planned, and there's no word on that R-rated remake. The only plot details we could conjure up is that a few Earthlings will fight to save the planet from Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung, two Gods ruling over parallel universes, or something to that effect.