Building new computer

Well decided in the last few day that instead of investing in a new computer from one of the retailers, and paying for it all at once, that I was going to build one from the box up. Question for everyone is from very general ideas to very specific. Any input would be appreciated on every aspect. Plan on buying between 200 to 300 dollars worth a month over the next 6 or so months. Obviously the power supply and box would be the easiest thing to buy first since they don't change much from month to month.

From there I'm not sure what direction to go. Motherboard, Processor, video and sound cards, hard drive o/s... ANYTIHNG. I know of few different internet sites to use as well to buy this stuff but even that info would be helpful.

Next you'll probally want to know what I plan on doing which I probally will spend most of the time playing games. :oops: So higher end stuff is probally the wat to go.

ah, excellent news! i'm ready to help set you up.

one problem you're going to run across is buying things over such an extended period of time, though. i hate to tell you this, but you'd be much better off just saving it up then buying when you have the cash, because the rate of change is astounding. for example, if you buy a motherboard first, by the time you go to get your hard drive or memory, the standards may have chaged so much that the memory style you want to get is not compatable with your motherboard, or the hard drive you want to get will not be used to it's potential with the older mobo interface. especially if you're talking about making a gaming box.

so, let me know if you still think you want to piece it together over months & months, and i can point you in the right direction. but again, i wouldn't do that if at all possible.

Yeah, thats kind of what I thought TC, was hoping you might tell me different though. :? Looks like I just gotta put it on the back burner, still gotta get Mandy a ring! :|

jakerupe wrote: still gotta get Mandy a ring! :|
*gasp!!*

you mean.....you.....you're actually going to do it??? you guys are finally gonna get hitched????

well, if she says yes to ya..... haha ;)

that's so great, man! we'd better be invited!

:hang: Yup there goes the single life, just like the old westerns except no happy endy when they shoot the rope to the dismay of the lynch-mob.

:sigh:
"Billy you are NOT a GOD"
"Why don't ya pull the trigger and find out?!?"

:draw: (thats how that would end)

And of course you'll be invited.