bugs

So, you know, there are two things unique to the operation of the forum that I have to say are kind of bugging me.

Firstly, when, from a main forum page (eg. the celluloid page) I right click on topic and choose to open it in another window.... bingo, as well as opening the topic in another window, the other page that I was on (the main page) ALSO loads up the topic. This is v annoying, as it means I have to keep on going back to the listings page to load up other topics. I can't see why this would be intentional - maybe it is a Safari thing?

Secondly, after I have visited a main forum page and chosen the topics I want to look at that have new posts (eg. the topics highlighted in green) and if I then go away and come back to the forum.... the other topics, the ones I don't want to look at, remain highlighted in green. And, because of this, on the front page it ALWAYS indicates new posts in the forum (the forum is highlighted green), even when there are actually no new posts for me to look at at all. Again, I haven't encountered this on any other forums.

Comments appreciated.... Thx.

Re: bugs

yeah, safari is ghey. firefox 3 for mac works fine. but that's not a safari "issue", just a statement of fact. ;)

1) there is a little icon to the left of the topic title (if there is an unread post). right-click that and open in new window - should not affect main window. that's one way to do that, there are others, so let me know;
2) where the page numbers of a forum are - near the top between the search box & the announcements, on the right - is some text that says "mark posts as read". that's a link. click it and the are all marked as read.

1/ yeah, that works, although it's kind of fiddly.
2/ also works although, again, a little fiddly. I think you guys are competing 'most complicated forum' on the web, what with all the sub-divisions and everything.... my favourite format is still the old Lynchet format, where everything is so clear and simple :) no-one seems to go for that anymore

klimov wrote:Firstly, when, from a main forum page (eg. the celluloid page) I right click on topic and choose to open it in another window.... bingo, as well as opening the topic in another window, the other page that I was on (the main page) ALSO loads up the topic.
Yeah, this annoys me too. ;-)

It's the hyper-cells MOD that we have so people can be lazy and just click anywhere in the box to load the topic.
klimov wrote:Secondly, after I have visited a main forum page and chosen the topics I want to look at that have new posts (eg. the topics highlighted in green) and if I then go away and come back to the forum.... the other topics, the ones I don't want to look at, remain highlighted in green. And, because of this, on the front page it ALWAYS indicates new posts in the forum (the forum is highlighted green), even when there are actually no new posts for me to look at at all. Again, I haven't encountered this on any other forums.
Hit "Mark forums read" in the top right. I can't say I've had problems with the forums marking something as unread that is read. I suggest that you clear all of your cookies from g0re and login in fresh from http://g0re.net/forums/ - no "www."!

On the whole, things here really aren't complicated - there are faaaaar more heavily modified boards out there. It really is quite logically set up - the old formats had the problem of being a complete mash of conversations, with no kind of internal conversation structure, which is why no-one uses it anymore. In fact, phpBB hasn't changed the actual format of the forums at all - this is the same layout as was in phpBB version 1, 7 or 8 years ago at least. Additionally, staff had no real control functions and users didn't have any real customisation options. The administration of this is indeed really complex in places (it gives us oodles of control), but the user side is really still very simple (with the option of slightly more detailed operation if wanted, but it still works very simply without going into that). Subject Forum -> Topic -> Conversation, with ability to quote others. I don't get your "sub-divisions" complaint though - forums and usenet have organized things like this since the 80s.

klimov wrote:my favourite format is still the old Lynchet format, where everything is so clear and simple :) no-one seems to go for that anymore
That's because that board (wwwboard) was so full of security holes that it was getting hacked almost weekly. Unfortunately mid 90's software didn't really anticipate the hacking culture of modern times. As for why people don't make new software that looks similar, well, you know kids today: all bells and whistles and glitz and high concept.
Just cut them up like regular chickens