RIP R.J. Dio

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/r-i-p ... 1942-2010/
After initial rumours were dismissed earlier today, Metal Hammer is devastated to report that Ronnie James Dio has passed away.

Metal Hammer and the world of heavy metal are in mourning after learning that the legendary Ronnie James Dio has passed away after losing his battle with stomach cancer.

In a statement from his wife and manager, Wendy Dio has said the following:
“Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.
“Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.
“We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.
“Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.
“Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.”

The iconic Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio and Heaven & Hell vocalist will forever be held in the highest of regards by all fans of rock and metal.

Our thoughts and sincerest condolences go out to Wendy Dio, his family, his bandmates and all who were lucky enough to know a man who will always be known as one of the finest rock singers of our time and one of the most well-loved characters in the history of rock music.
:sad:

Re: RIP R.J. Dio

Damn, he went downhill fast. One of my co-workers just talked to him not that long ago and he seemed to be doing well. Sad news. Heaven and Hell was one of the first albums I ever bought on cd and I listened the hell out of it. Just bought both it and Mob Rules on vinyl a couple of weeks back. Time to give them a listen.
Last edited by darkness on 16/05/10, 16:37:47, edited 1 time in total.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Another life lost to cancer. Ronnie was a great showman and a class act — I think he was someone who truly loved his job. I geeked out big time getting to see him with Sabbath a few years ago. The people in the audience weren't just classic rock fogies, they were fans and the music meant something. It meant a lot to me, anyway.

Condolences to his loved ones and all who love his music.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

i don't even know what to say. the man was doing it since the '50s. i am deeply saddened by his passing. metal would not be what it is today without him.

a very genuine guy who "got it" and was able to laugh along with jack black. i truly regret missing H&H when they came through. my friends were close enough to see the sweat drip from his wee little nose.

RIP Dio. i hope now that you are not around to defend the legacy of the horns that gene simmons keeps his fat fucking mouth shut.

glad you were able to die peacefully surrounded by those that meant the most to you.

First and only Sabbath show I've attended, live at the Omaha Civic Auditorium Music Hall (!) circa 1995 or so, was with RJD on vocals and he knocked it all out of the park, even the Ozzie stuff he delivered with a sardonic (but badass) sneer. Recently got my first digital copy of Heaven and Hell, funny enough, will be cranking it this week.

I'm walking in the American Cancer Society Relay For Life in a couple weeks (you facebook friends can donate, you know who you are, bitches!), I think I might put some RJD flare on and represent.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

:( Sad news. Glad I got to see him in concert a few years ago (with Motorhead and Iron Maiden - excellent show). His scenes in the Metal: A Headbanger's Journey movie are fantastic as well. He really takes the piss out of Gene Simmons.

Much coolness. One of my co-workers who was friends with RJD has been telling me about that pool table for years. Finally I get to see what he's talking about.
Just cut them up like regular chickens