Re: Listening to lately

Went to Metaltown, here in Gothenburg last night. Got to see Ghost, amongst other bands and it was just as amazing as I thought it would be. Great, tight performance and a killer set-list. Highly recommended.

Also saw Carcass (better than expected), Danko Jones (snooze-fest as always), some of Sabaton (I apologize on behalf of swedes everywhere, this is just the worst), Katatonia (great), Kvelertak (average) and Slipknot (much better than expected, even though it was weird seeing them without a bass player).

so... you are recommending that we go to gothenburg metaltown? yeah, would love to. thanks for rubbing it in. ;)

Kvelertak - would love to see them. carcass - "better than expected"? what did you expect? lol @ sabaton.

I didn't expect Carcass to sound so... fresh, I guess? They had that new drummer with them and even though he looked like 12 (backwards cap and all), he just played the shit out of that drumset.

Yeah, come to Gothenburg why dont ya. I'll play Ghost on my phone for you and you can have all the watered down swedish beer you can drink ;) Seriously, if Ghost comes back to the US any time soon, they are an act not to be missed.

Well I'M keeping this thread alive, dammit!

Carcass - Surgical Steel. Vital, ass-kicking death metal. Who would have thought?

EDIT: Oh, and also, why is everyone loving Dan Swanö's new project Witherscape? I mean, the musicianship is all well and good, and Dans growls are better than ever. But he fucking ruins the entire album with that none-growlish singing of his. Just awful.

the album is only good if you joined the carcass wagon on heartwork or after. it sounds like heartwork to me, and i didn't like that the first time.

satyricon - satyricon: pro
NIN - hesitation marks: pro
kayo dot - hubardo: mixed
aborym - dirty: pro
aeternus - ...and the seventh his soul detesteth: pro
bl'ast - blood!: Pro, glad this was unearthed. grohl does an amazing job on the mix given the age and source.
gorguts - colored sands: mixed to proish
puscifer - all remixed up: Pro
exhumed - necrocracy: pro
watain - the wild hunt: mixed to con. disappointing.

TC wrote:parts of it remind me a lot of PHM, in a good way. first several listens leave me in the "pro" category, yes. there are some throw-aways for me, but still - pro.
The iTunes samples left me profoundly unimpressed. Prime Reznor is the 1989-94 era. Those days are far off in the rearview mirror.

The new Carcass sounded decent.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Am going to pick up the new Pelican, listened to a couple tracks yesterday and it sounds quite good despite a guitarist swap out.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

"metal" and "stryper" should never be in the same sentence. circus magazine has lied to you. as i said on fb when i found out this same fact, "all these "hail satans" and horn-raising over the years, and stryper is still a thing? for shame, satan."

So apparently Joey Jordison has left Slipknot. Which means the last, tiny bit of good about that band is no longer IN the band. Paul Grey gone, Jordison gone, might as well call it quits right now.

Not that anyone cares about Slipknot anymore, but... you know.