Black Widow

DH wrote:Filming Begins On “Black Widow” Solo Film

While there has been no official announcement at this time, it appears as if production on Marvel Studios’ “Black Widow” movie has gotten underway in Norway.

Filming has reportedly been taking place around the village of Saebo with photos and video going online of star Scarlett Johansson shooting scenes as Natasha Romanoff, complete with her red hair albeit this time dressed in civilian attire.

The film is rumored to take place between the events of “Captain America: Civil War” and “Avengers: Infinity War” while also flashing back to Romanoff’s past in Russia where she trained to be a KGB assassin.

“Black Widow” is expected to be the first Marvel Studios feature to open next year with a May 1st 2020 date already marked out for a Marvel Studios title. Cate Shortland helms the project which also stars Florence Pugh, Rachel Weisz and David Harbour.
been waiting for this one.

Re: Black Widow

/film wrote:Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ Movie Begins Shooting in Norway with an Intriguing Working Title

Black Widow entered the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2010 with a debut in Iron Man 2, but it took nine years for the character to get her own movie.

Production has begun on Black Widow over in Norway under the working title of “Blue Bayou.” The small village of Sæbø, in Sunnmøre on the western coast of Norway, is the first location being used for the production. Funnily enough, rumors initially thought the influx of production vehicles and crew was for the new James Bond movie, but once the “Blue Bayou” production signs were spotted on trailers, that confirmed it was Black Widow. But does that working title mean anything?

We won’t post any of the photos of the production trailers situated in Norway for filming (spotted by local blog Out of Dave’s Head), but the signs with the title Blue Bayou have been designed to have the English words look like Russian text. As for the title’s meaning, we can only guess at its significance.

Our own theme park-obsessed Peter Sciretta reminded us that Disneyland has a restaurant called Blue Bayou that ties in with the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in the park. It has cajun and creole cuisine and has been a popular dining spot ever since Disneyland opened in 1967. But unless Black Widow has some meaningful tie to New Orleans or Pirates of the Caribbean, it’s unlikely that there’s anything connection there.

One possibility is that it could be a reference to the famous song “Blue Bayou,” first recorded by Roy Orbison in 1963. The song went on to become a signature tune by Linda Ronstadt after she recorded a cover in 1977 that hit the Billboard charts. If you check out the lyrics, the sadness at the center of the song is something that could resonate with Black Widow as a character. Maybe it’s even something she listened to in her childhood.

It’s not hard to imagine “Blue Bayou” being a place in Natasha Romanoff’s mind, perhaps one where she wasn’t raised to be a lethal assassin. After all, the local press in Norway are suggesting that Sæbø and nearby Bondalen may be used as Natasha’s childhood home in Russia.

But then again, the working titles for movies don’t necessarily mean anything about the movie itself. Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home went by the working titles “The Fall of George” and “Bosco,” and those are merely references to Seinfeld episodes that don’t have any connection to the movie’s story. So “Blue Bayou” could just be a reference to the song that someone loves and doesn’t mean anything besides that.

What we do know is that Scarlett Johansson is back as Black Widow, and she’ll be joined by Florence Pugh, Rachel Weisz and David Harbour. The movie is being directed by Cate Shortland with a script by Captain Marvel writer Jac Schaeffer. We’re not sure exactly when it will arrive, but more than likely it will take either the May 1, 2020 or November 6, 2020 release dates that Marvel Studios has already staked out. Stay tuned for more soon.

i don't know, but what i do know is that they didn't cram this trailer full of other hero cameos. looks like they are really going to let her carry this. which is all i wanted from it.

_Marcus_ wrote:Is Red Guardian a villain in the comics, or a hero?
There have been a lot of different people using that title, but if I was going to guess, it's the Red Guardian who was once married to Black Widow (before she was such) and he was a bad guy. He was essentially the Soviet version of Captain America. Though how they make that work in 2016 is anyone's guess. But he was the only one in the comics with a tie to Romanoff. Though since the MCU tends to take the comics as a starting point and do their own thing, who knows where they will go with it. Not all the Red Guardians were villains.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Saw this tonight. A big meh for me. But I'm also dead inside so little is going to move me one way or the other. I fell asleep for about 20 minutes of it in the theater. They never should have changed to the big comfy recliners, especially when showing boring movies.

I have tickets for IMAX tomorrow night. I'm honestly not that excited about the movie based on the trailer. But it will be really nice to have a date night without the kids and go to a movie theater for the first time in forever.

That was better than I expected. It was a fun night at the movies. Several gratuitous close-up shots of Scarjo's ass that were impressive on the Imax screen, haha. It was good to get more backstory on her character, and I thought the bad guy worked as someone who was a serious threat even though we'd never heard of him before in any of the other Marvel movies, and they explained it well.

It was completely fine as an action/hero movie. At times a bit more. But it felt... out of place? Severely lacking from being pushed for so long. You didn't feel invested in the character since she's been dead for years now.

Watched this last night. I agree with all of the above - scarjo’s ass, the villainous plot working, that it was “fine”, that it was out of place because we weren’t invested, and that it was probably near the bottom of MCU movies. “It was fine” is about all i could muster. Dani from Midsommar’s (and to a lesser extend Harbour’s) accents constantly coming and going was the more irritating flaw for me. Other than that, Harbour was far and away the best actor on the screen. Scarjo was consistent and what we’ve come to expect from this character. The Dani chick felt like they pulled her from drama class at college into this. Villain dude was good but rarely in it.

I have questions about the writing and plot, though. For example, this guy builds some multiple-oil-rig-sized lair that he launched into the sky; judging by how long it took them to fall, he’s at maybe 60k feet. No aviation or military noticed this thing just sitting stationary in the sky? You would think he would have at least planted himself over the ocean in international waters or something. Anyway, the explanation for all the Widows was fine. The gas cure was… something. Why haven’t we seen more Widows before now? You would think, given the opening credits montage, at the very least Tony Stark would have known they all existed, given his data mining hobbies. Crimson Cop or whatever fancied himself a Cap rival - Cap never looked into the Russian version of him, or the agency powering him to discover his mission in Ohio involved future Widows? SHIELD shows up to the flying lair call with a convoy of SUVs? So even they didn’t know about this incredible flying fortress? But look, it’s a sunday superhero flick, let’s not analyze it too much. Which, I think, is the problem - most of the Marvel films have elevated themselves above this level, which is why when we now, at this late stage of the MCU, get one that’s this level, it is glaring. Even so, like I said, it was “fine” or “ok”, so the floor for Marvel films so far hasn’t been “terrible” - even a poor MCU film is still entertaining on some level.

I expect a certain amount of logical holes and poor writing in general.It's a MCU film after all. But what's been bothering me since I saw it, is how they treated Black Widow and all the rest of her merry gang like actual superheroes. I mean sure, Red Guardian has that super serum thing I guess. But the rest of them are just... people? And they still felt the need to put these people in superhero-like situations. It became a huge disconnect for me, especially during the final act. Would have loved a tight spy-thriller with some over-the-top action scenes. But not a superhero-flick with no actual superheroes.

_Marcus_ wrote:I expect a certain amount of logical holes and poor writing in general.It's a MCU film after all. But what's been bothering me since I saw it, is how they treated Black Widow and all the rest of her merry gang like actual superheroes. I mean sure, Red Guardian has that super serum thing I guess. But the rest of them are just... people? And they still felt the need to put these people in superhero-like situations. It became a huge disconnect for me, especially during the final act. Would have loved a tight spy-thriller with some over-the-top action scenes. But not a superhero-flick with no actual superheroes.
yeah that was another comment i had - like sure, their training makes them lethal, but it doesn't make them impervious to injuries. what her and dani went through in this film, they'd be in many tiny coffins.

TC wrote: like sure, their training makes them lethal, but it doesn't make them impervious to injuries. what her and dani went through in this film, they'd be in many tiny coffins.
To be fair, you could say the same about Black Widow in the Avengers films too, especially the first one. I mean, she's literally flying through the air catching passing space scooters at one point.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote: like sure, their training makes them lethal, but it doesn't make them impervious to injuries. what her and dani went through in this film, they'd be in many tiny coffins.
To be fair, you could say the same about Black Widow in the Avengers films too, especially the first one. I mean, she's literally flying through the air catching passing space scooters at one point.
I guess it's different when she's not the main focus of the entire film, but yeah...

darkness wrote:
and i have. and hawkeye.