The Tick returns!!

SPOOOOOON!!!
/film wrote:Rumor: Amazon Reviving ‘The Tick’ TV Series, Patrick Warburton Returning

Late on a Friday before a holiday weekend is the worst time to fact-check anything, so we’re in the position of praying this is true. A report says that Fox and Amazon have made a deal for Amazon to do a new live-action series based on Ben Edlund‘s The Tick. The show revolved around a giant, good-natured and bumbling hero played by Patrick Warburton. A spot-on blend of broad comedy and sharp satire, the show originally ran for only nine episodes on Fox from 2001 to 2002. Or, as Edlund once described it: “a superheroic portrait of genuine human lameness.” The best news: Edlund and Warburton will both be part of The Tick revival.

People says “superhero parody is now being revived on Amazon” and that Warburton “recently inked a deal with Amazon and Sony to reprise his role, with Edlund producing and writing.”

The Tick was slightly ahead of its time — it was a strange, smart show that both embraced and parodied superhero stories. It fell victim to the same Fox regime that botched the broadcast of Firefly; a year before Whedon’s show was on air, Fox aired episodes in an unpredictable pattern, often with little promotion. The show never had a chance to find an audience.

I just had a conversation about this show on Twitter a few days ago, saying that I’d absolutely love to see The Tick return to air with the cast as they were then, but with TV creatives and the landscape we have now. If this deal works out, it would be just about the closest possible thing to that wish coming true. I’m shocked, frankly.

Presumably Barry Sonenfeld and Larry Charles, who produced the original show, will not be part of the new iteration.
stoked!!

Re: The Tick returns!!

I though The Tick dated back to the 1990s? Anyway never did know much about it, except the right kind of people were into it. Edlund went on to join Whedon's show Angel, and wrote a few of its best episodes, probably the greatest of which was Smile Time. For any of you who ever bothered with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, "Bad Horse" was also Edlund's creation (whenever they were kicking around possible villains in the writer's room on Angel and weren't getting anywhere, Edlund would hopefully chime in with "Bad Horse??").
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

oh no...
DH wrote:"The Tick" Reboot To Be Darker & Edgier?

Following on from the confirmation earlier this month that the cancelled 2002 FOX live-action series "The Tick" would be making a comeback, the show's star Patrick Warburton has spoken with Movieweb about what the new take on the material will bring. Warburton can't say much at the moment, but is excited about the property coming back:

"I'm really not at liberty to discuss anything in regards to The Tick right now. I will say, isn't it ironic that Captain Liberty's friend isn't at liberty? Are there discussions? I would say things look very interesting and positive.

I love The Tick. I'd love to do it again. I never would have thought I'd have the opportunity to do this again. I think it would be a blast to do it again. We'll see what happens.

One thing about The Tick, he is an insane character. I guess he doesn't have to be 29 years-old like Thor, I guess. He'll be 50 battling evil. I'd love to see what Ben Edlund's new vision for it is. I think it will be different. Perhaps a little darker and a little edgier. We'll see what happens."

His signature superhero outfit will probably undergo a change, something he's not averse to as he wasn't a big fan of the comfort factor of the original:

"[The original] was the most fun I ever had. Except wearing the suit. When you put on a suit, and you need two tubes of K-Y Jelly to assist in putting on the suit, and then you basically spend the next 12 hours in a soup of sweat and K-Y jelly, its a side of it... That's not the most fun.

There were probably five different Tick costumes for the original series. I would assume there would be a new design. Let's say hypothetically that The Tick, we're going to attack it again. It would be all-new. It would be a new conception. There are so many advantages to the creatives today, that there weren't twelve years ago, as far as doing things and creating a whole new world for The Tick."

otzpldtmbbzufvwv7zpk.jpg
qtkvrlzrfriiqht9bvw6.png
In a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an underdog accountant with zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero. The Tick stars Peter Serafinowicz (Guardians of the Galaxy), Griffin Newman (Vinyl), Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen), Valorie Curry (House of Lies), Yara Martinez (Jane the Virgin) and Brendan Hines (Scorpion). The Tick is executive produced by Ben Edlund (Supernatural), Barry Josephson (Bones) and Barry Sonnenfeld (A Series of Unfortunate Events), directed by Wally Pfister (The Dark Knight), and written by Edlund. The Tick is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television.
starts august 19 on amazon. here's a long interview with edlund where he addresses the last post, batman v superman, and many other things:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-the-new-vers ... 1784333250
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_Marcus_ wrote:Wait - so no Warburton after all? Pass, then.
nope. he explains it in the interview. he still sounds really psyched about it and it's what he wanted to do, he says. it's more arthur-focused. we shall see.

_Marcus_ wrote:Would have been ten times better, probably, if Nestor Carbonell's Batmanuel was in it.
obviously. might still be. or chairface. or the thrakkorzog. or evil midnight bomber. who knows, they may all still be.

I watched this pilot like a year ago. Amazon put up a pack for fans to vote on. I thought it looked pretty funny and promising, myself.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

2nd season was fantastic. and news today is it has been canceled. of course they canceled it, it was good. how many good shows have been canceled recently? Ash vs. Evil Deal, Santa Clarita Diet, The Tick.... UGH. fucking hell.