Penny Dreadful

anyone watch this? just wrapped S1 over the weekend. it's very odd. a mashup of bits & pieces from dracula, frankenstein, dorian gray, phantom of the opera, the wolfman, others. it's late 19th-century horror/sci-fi/gothic literature in full steampunk mode. it's very interesting to say the least. held me for a full season, anyway. strong cast, including timothy dalton (great role here), eva green, josh hartnet, poor man's theon greyjoy, and glenn danzig - stagehand edition.

Re: Penny Dreadful

Need to revisit, we watched the pilot but didn't circle back for more, not that we disliked it.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote: we watched the pilot but didn't circle back for more, not that we disliked it.
That, in fact, is the marketing campaign for all Showtime programming.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote: we watched the pilot but didn't circle back for more, not that we disliked it.
That, in fact, is the marketing campaign for all Showtime programming.
Yep! Always seemingly a half-step behind HBO. Although unless it really goes in the tank I'll continue to watch Homeland, that's pretty solid if at some points (I'm looking at you, Season 2) quite silly.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

We made it past the first couple episodes of Homeland S3 before downgrading our cable package. Didn't feel like we'd miss it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Anyway, in our house, we watched the pilots for Masters of Sex and Ray Donovan and found each watchable (the latter less so, perhaps) and have yet to catch up with either.

Alexhead wrote: Always seemingly a half-step behind HBO.
The slow implosion of a flagship property like Dexter makes me less enthusiastic about jumping into another Showtime title.

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote: Always seemingly a half-step behind HBO.
The slow implosion of a flagship property like Dexter makes me less enthusiastic about jumping into another Showtime title.
I checked out on having any expectations of high quality there after Jimmy Smits showed up (with a brief bump from John Lithgow's season), but yeah, they haven't put anything out that approaches the consistency of most of HBO's product that I'm aware of. Still, I do loves me some Victorian era horror. As long as it's done with some quality, of course.

We only saw the first few eps of the Affair. After a wobbly debut, it seemed to be picking up momentum.

I just started watching this today. I'm not sure I'm really big on it. I've never been a huge fan of the monster genre. I feel like quitting after the first episode, but since there's only eight I guess I'll plow on.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

been catching up on S2 over the last week, have a few episodes left. so far, S2 is far better than S1. some really cool, really dark stuff. however, if it were me, i'd completely eliminate the entire frankenstein arc, and possibly the great majority of the dorian gray arc. the frankenstein arc is a complete time sink that doesn't contribute to the overall story whatsoever. the doctor is necessary, yes, but his creations and their interests simply aren't. they could have alluded to the fact that he has interesting after-hours "hobbies" without showing - we all know the story. every diversion with his monster completely halts momentum of the main story. total waste of time for me. the dorian gray storyline is somewhat necessary, but we don't need the amount of focus outside of the main circle of folks. example, i don't really care that him & his ladyboy played ping pong. just dumb. the ball, yes, but all the superfluous detail & story is, again, halting. if i ever go back to re-watch this show, i'm going to find a fan edit that has removed these things, or do it myself. would be much more brisk and serve the tension better.

To me this show epitomizes the problem of serialized t.v., which is that we tuned out after a couple episodes, might tune back in but feel like there's probably so much story developed already that we'd be woefully behind. It really is a barrier to getting into shows that have been on for a while sometimes.

In these modern times of DVRs, Netflix, Hulu and a ton of other methods, it's pretty much assumed no one will miss episodes. Do people even still watch tv when it airs anymore?
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Oh I've got access to all of them, we have all the cable channels so they're on demand, but I don't necessarily feel like watching 10 hours to get caught up.