Iron Man 2

still haven't seen the first one...
VH1 wrote: 'Iron Man 2': What We Know So Far
From the heroes to the villains to key story details, we let you in on the secrets we've been privy to.

Arguably one of the most anticipated events during this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, Jon Favreau's premiere of "Iron Man 2" footage certainly accomplished what every good sneak peek is supposed to: whet fans' appetites for the film and get everyone talking about what each and every frame could mean for the finished product.

From an extended look at Mickey Rourke in action as the villainous Whiplash to that final-moment debut of War Machine, the "Iron Man 2" preview sparked just as many new questions as it answered. Will War Machine fight Iron Man? Will Tony Stark lose ownership of the Iron Man armor? How much will we see of Sam Jackson and his "Avengers Initiative" before the superteam gets its own film?

So, in an effort to sort out what we know thus far about the much-anticipated sequel to last year's "Iron Man," here's a roundup of what we know about the story and cast of characters hitting the screen when "Iron Man 2" premieres May 7, 2010:

The Heroes: While star Robert Downey Jr. has insisted that Tony Stark's battle with alcoholism in the popular "Demon in a Bottle" comic book story line won't factor into the "Iron Man 2" plot, he did hint at some inner demons for the film's hero. Calling it the story of "how a dysfunctional family saves life on Earth," Downey said the film will largely focus on how Stark deals with his newfound popularity and the new types of attention he receives because of it.

As far as Stark's supporting cast, actor Don Cheadle (who replaces Terrence Howard as Stark's military buddy James "Rhodey" Rhodes) recently insisted that War Machine's role in the film will be "significant," while Scarlett Johansson won't reveal which side her character, the Russian superspy known as the Black Widow, is even playing for. On a semi-related note, Downey previously hinted that a love triangle between his character and those of Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow (who plays Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts) isn't out of the question.

The Villains: Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke make their debuts as shady weapons manufacturer Justin Hammer and Russian tendril-wielding ex-convict Ivan Vanko (a.k.a. Whiplash), respectively, in the next chapter of the "Iron Man" film franchise. Rockwell recently hinted at a team-up between the two characters in their efforts to take down Robert Downey Jr.'s superhero industrialist Tony Stark, who they both have a grudge against for very different reasons.

Meanwhile, Cheadle hinted that the two aforementioned characters might not be the only trouble Stark faces as his armored alter ego. Could a fan-friendly brawl between Iron Man and War Machine be in the cards?

The Story: Ever since the sequel to "Iron Man" was approved, Favreau has said the film will be largely focused on the nature of being a superhero without a secret identity — and what it means to be a public figure who happens to moonlight as an armored avenger. During our visit to the set of "Iron Man 2," however, Downey hinted that one of the other themes of the sequel will involve Stark's hunt for an alternative energy source for his armor, and how that quest might connect to the Stark Expo held each decade.

As far as specific scenes go, we know from the Comic-Con footage and various photos released over the last year that Whiplash will attack Stark during a race at the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique and, from the look of things, the film's hero won't be in much shape to defend himself. Where this encounter fits in the duo's history, though, has yet to be revealed.
all i know about this one is that olivia munn is in it, which means i'll be seeing it.

Re: Iron Man 2

Really? You should totally check it out, definitely on the A-List of comic book adaptations.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yeah, the first one was one of the better adaptions. My concern with this one is that it sounds like it's getting a bit crowded. I hope we don't have another Spider-man 3 on our hands.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Never read an Iron Man comic in my life, found the movie to be very enjoyable--probably same as the many out there who made it a hit.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

MTV wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Edward Norton Responds To 'Iron Man 2' Cameo Rumors

Among the multitude of rumors surrounding who is and isn't making an appearance in "Iron Man 2," there's been much discussion regarding a potential cameo for Marvel's green-skinned behemoth, The Hulk.

While in Toronto attending the International Film Festival, MTV News tracked down Edward Norton, the actor who most recently brought Hulk to the big screen in 2008's "Incredible Hulk." In town to promote his new film "Leaves of Grass" (which received rave reviews after its premiere at the festival), Norton addressed the rumors that his comic book alter ego will appear in "Iron Man 2."

"I heard that. I don't know where that's coming from," Norton told MTV News. "I am not in 'Iron Man 2' to my knowledge."

So, there you have it, folks.

While there's still no word on where Marvel wants to go next with the "Hulk" franchise—or if Norton will return for any future films—it looks like they haven't approached the actor to reprise his role as Bruce Banner... yet.

Keep your eye on Splash Page for more from Norton on "Avengers" and other much-anticipated projects in the near future!

So how many bad guys are in this thing? Or is that a buddy? I don't know my Iron Man mythology for crap, but I thought Rourke and Johannsen were the two villains.

viral marketing:
121109_ironman2[1].jpg
121409_ironman2[1].jpg
121609_im2[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kick-ass! I wasn't too impressed with the trailer at first, turning it off about half way. But now I gave the whole thing a chance, and watching Iron Man and War Machine kicking some serious arse in the end was just... one of those childhood dreams coming true.

i didn't see the first one but this one was really, really fun. very enjoyable. i'd like to see it again. for several reasons. some of which don't rhyme with harlot.

Saw this today. Pretty much more of the same as the first one. Good harmless fun. I'll buy this one when it comes out on blu-ray for sure. The Thor scene at the end was a nice tease.

All of the Marvel films have a little teaser after the credits. Iron Man had the scene with Jackson as Nick Fury introducing the Avengers idea. Incredible Hulk had a bit with Tony Stark telling the general he's putting a team together. Iron Man 2's scene was where the agent (forget his name) who said he was going to New Mexico arrived there and finding Thor's hammer in a large crater.

I managed to see this with some friends on Friday and thought it was really entertaining. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading and hearing some so-so reviews, but I liked it. I'm not sure what those people were expecting. This one picks up where the first one left off and throws in more fights, more characters, etc., but I didn't think it was overly complicated or hard to follow.

Took the family to this one today, wife and I were mocking each other for bringing a 3 (almost 4) year old to a PG-13 flick. Both kids were quite in awe of the Inception trailer, heh. Once again they've made a surprisingly action-lite comic book movie, but the story more or less chugs along at an entertaining and engaging clip. Son was of course bored, then overwhelmed by the final fight. Daughter followed it better and laughed with glee when Scarlett went ballistic on those security guards (one of the high points of the movie). Pretty good job by Justin Theroux on maintaining the tone of the first one, although Rourke is fairly flat and nobody on the Iron Man staff has figured out how to make an engaging showdown with a Big Bad Guy at the end (not to say the whole sequence wasn't fun, it was, and definitely a full step above what we got in the first one). I think the flick, like the first one, was about one action setpiece short of really taking it over the top, but I also have a tough time arguing that point since the franchise values story and character (albeit comic book stories and characters) above action, which in and of itself puts them above most of the adaptations out there.