Iron Man 3

Favreau may be out for the next film. At the very least he's wavering, so he may get fired first. If Marvel's past history is any indication, anyone who tries to make trouble gets dumped quickly. Just ask Terrence Howard and Edward Norton.
Film wrote:Rumor: Jon Favreau Will Not Direct ‘Iron Man 3?

Once Jon Favreau gets back from the Magic Kingdom, he reportedly won’t be returning to Stark Industries. Rumors are coming in that Favreau has informed Marvel he will not be returning to direct Iron Man 3. And while no one from Marvel has yet to confirm or deny this report, a recent interview Favreau did seemed to suggest he was wavering. Read that and more after the jump.
Vulture first reported the news of Favreau’s apparently departure from the Iron Man franchise. He spoke about the third film at length just last week and you can read our report here. The video, from MTV, is below and in it, you’ll hear Favreau talking about his uncertainty concerning Iron Man 3.

If you don’t want to read our link or watch the video, here’s the most telling quote.

Kevin Feige, who’s been involved with superhero movies with Marvel movies since the X-Men films, is very aware of his path and how to weave [things together], so in theory, ‘Iron Man 3? is going to be a sequel or continuation of ‘Thor,’ ‘Hulk,’ ‘Captain America’ and ‘Avengers’… This whole world… I have no idea what it is. I don’t think they do either, from conversations I’ve had with those guys.

He does, however, say he wants to work with Marvel again and since Disney now owns Marvel, he’s still working under the same corporate umbrella with Magic Kingdom.

The Vulture article poses a non-creative impasse however: The almighty dollar. Since Favreau has a slew of hits under his belt now and another one probably coming next Summer with Cowboys & Aliens, his asking price for Iron Man 3 is sure to be significant. And, in the industry, Marvel has a reputation for being frugal.

Maybe the combination of both those factors lead him to just get the whole thing out of the way well in advance of the May 3, 2013 release date. This way Marvel can start looking for a new director who’ll have time to work with Feige and Joss Whedon on The Avengers and figure out exactly how everything is going to play out in Iron Man 3.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: Iron Man 3

Downey is making mad cash off Iron Man now, so I'd be surprised if they didn't convince him to come back one more time just based on that. And I could give a shit who does the third one, Favreau directed a complete clunker of a sequel (the original Vulture article in question puts some of that blame on studio interference, but did the studio tell him to keep action to a bare minimum?) so let someone else have at. If Avengers is a hit, wouldn't they just make Avengers 2 anyway?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Favreau directed a complete clunker of a sequel
This.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

i didn't see the first one, but i liked the second one. if you're saying that based on comparison to the first, ok, but if you're saying that as a stand-alone film it was a clunker, i'd disagree.

Yeah, I have to disagree on the second one as well. I'd actually say both the first and second equally suffered from a lack of action and developed villian, but neither suffered for it. As for Downey, since he's already signed on to Avengers, I'm sure they locked him in for another Iron Man while he was at it.

Iron Man 2 struck me as completely pointless. You never sense that anything truly is at stake for these characters, and you don't care what happens amid all the endless CGI battles featuring bored-looking actors in bulky robot suits. I can't believe that anyone involved with the movie actually gave a shit about anything to do with Iron Man other than collecting a fat paycheck.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Endless CGI battles? What CGI battles? There's no opening battle (they talk about Iron Man helping the army but don't, you know, take that plot point opportunity to actually show him helping them), you have to wait until Whiplash attacks him at the race (a sequence we'd all seen in the trailers by then), then there's a really dumb fight between drunk Iron Man and Rhodie, then there's the big whiz bang finale. All of that is probably 10 minutes (7 of which is the finale), the rest is the drab no stakes "character development" you mention.

TC, not sure why you haven't seen the first one, it's a far superior product although again it's light on action but at least makes up for that with a consistent charm/attitude. The sequel feels very much like a sequel, and after seeing both you're reminded why Iron Man is a second string hero at best.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:they talk about Iron Man helping the army but don't, you know, take that plot point opportunity to actually show him helping them
Actually it is shown in the footage on tv. And in the first film. But since it's not important to the main plot, showing it would indeed be pointless cgi.

Alexhead wrote:after seeing both you're reminded why Iron Man is a second string hero at best.
was there ever a question on this? i tried - really, i remember trying - to like iron man books as a kid but just couldn't. like most of the "popular" marvel icons, just plain goofy for me. i'm sure over time it got darker like most other comics, but i just remember thinking it was dumb.

again, based on everyone telling me i need to over the last few years, i will at some point check out the first one. i promise. but i would buy and watch this one again easily.

darkness wrote:Actually it is shown in the footage on tv. And in the first film. But since it's not important to the main plot, showing it would indeed be pointless cgi.
Yeah, pointless except that you're there to see a superhero movie which usually involves creating excuses to show a superhero doing superhero things. Many such opportunities are squandered in the sequel. Since we're not talking art here, let's blow some more shit up.

Alexhead wrote:Yeah, pointless except that you're there to see a superhero movie which usually involves creating excuses to show a superhero doing superhero things. Since we're not talking art here, let's blow some more shit up.
I disagree. Just because it came from a comic doesn't mean it has to be dumb.

Shane Black to write and direct, in case anybody cares. Possibly not a bad choice, he was the king of smack talkin' 80s action back in the day and a lot of people seem to think his "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" is a cult classic.

Alexhead wrote:Shane Black to write and direct, in case anybody cares.
No kiddin'. Well, the franchise can only go up, I suppose. :haw:

I enjoyed the first two, so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that Shane ""Jeez you got a big pussy. Jeez you got a big pussy" Black is directing/writing this. I'm leaning towards the former. I really liked his Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and he seemed to mesh well with RDJ on that one. Could be interesting enough.