Re: Xmen / Mutant Mega-thread

since clearly no one is going to post this and talk about how fucking incredible this movie is going to be, i'll step up:
[youtube][/youtube]

also, this awesomeness:
TheMarySue wrote:Fiction Within Fiction: The Making of the X-Men Comic That Appears in the Logan Trailer

There’s one particularly meta moment in the latest Logan trailer, and it’s when Logan picks up an X-Men comic that apparently belongs to X-23 and says with a slightly dismissive tone, “We’ve got ourselves an X-Men fan.” X-23 stares at him in silence, as Professor X gives her a sidelong glance, gauging her reaction. Logan flips through the pages of her comic book, and has this to say about the events depicted therein: “Maybe a quarter of it happened. And not like this.” He shakes his head slightly, then throws the comic book downwards. “In the real world, people die.”

Hmmmmmmm. So … X-Men comics exist in this world? (And a child soldier and/or government experiment and/or clone of Wolverine has the ability to access them and read them, apparently?) This introduces some weird complexities about how the X-Men are seen within the universe of Logan—which we already learned yesterday takes place in a “slightly different universe” than the rest of the X-Men canon (and, of course, we don’t know what that means yet).

Here’s what’s really cool, though: the comic that Logan holds up and shows off to the camera in this movie isn’t actually a real comic that we can buy in our world. It was designed specifically for the world of Logan. Comic book writer and artist Joe Quesada worked with comic book artist Dan Panosian to put together the issue that would appear on-screen. Quesada put up a Tumblr post today showing off the early drafts of the pages, writing, “It was a blast working closely with [director] James Mangold on creating these pages (yes, there’s more than one) and thrilled to have been invited on the project. Attached are my final digital pencils that Dan Panosian had to recreate in a more 90s ink and coloring style and boy did he nail the look!”
tumblr_ok8yhxqzTR1tlzs61o1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_ok8yhxqzTR1tlzs61o2_1280.jpeg
On the page, we see Rogue, Wolverine, Colossus, Professor X, Cyclops, and Storm hiking together through a rocky desert canyon. The terrain is crumbling beneath them as they walk, and at one point, Rogue trips and nearly falls into a small rift in the rocks. Wolverine reaches out to take her hand, cautioning her, “Next time, watch your step.” She cries out, “Logan, look!” They both look off-panel to something that should appear on the following page … but, of course, we may never know what they’re looking at, since there’s just this one page available to us.

In the trailer, though, we can see that there is at least one other page that precedes this one, although Quesada only uploaded this one page to his Tumblr since it appears in full in the trailer. I’m not sure if they just drew those two pages that appear side-by-side in the trailer, or if there’s going to be an entire comic book issue, or what. For all we know, it’s an entire standalone issue and it’ll connect somehow to the events of the film, perhaps even explaining what the heck is going on in Logan‘s mysterious future.

What’s also interesting to me is the very specific decision to mimic the ’90s art style and costumes for all the characters. I wonder if that means that X-23 has old copies of comics that came out long before she was born—particularly since this movie is set in a post-apocalyptic time period for the X-Men.

Perhaps someone gave her these comics as a gift … maybe even her surrogate mother, Dr. Sarah Kinney, who served as one of X-23’s only role models in the early days. (Based on the IMDB page, though, it doesn’t even look like Sarah Kinney will be in this movie, which is a shame!) It’ll be interesting to find out how X-23 ended up with these X-Men comics in particular, and whether they ended up changing how she views superheroes as a concept … and whether she hopes to one day join the X-Men.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oh, and in potentially jizz-in-my-pants news:
CBM wrote:A New Listing May Have Uncovered The Title Of The Next X-MEN Film; Plus Details On When It Might Start Filming
Earlier this week, a new production listing seemed to reveal the working title for the next X-Men film, and quite possibly when exactly Fox plans on getting the cameras rolling. Come take a look!

X-Men: Supernova
If recent reports are to be believed, that will either be the official title or is the working title for the seventh main storyline X-Men film (eleventh overall).

The title has been circulating since around mid-December, but until this week was believed to be the working title for Josh Boone's X-Men: The New Mutants. However, that all changed when Production Weekly released their latest issue, for the week of January 12th, which featured not the usual one, but two separate X-Men listings: one for the aforementioned New Mutants spin-off and one for the mysterious X-Men: Supernova.

Further details weren't provided and it's still up in the air even today whether or not the title is actually in reference to a new X-Men film or if it's just a mistake, but based on a recently posted second listing, it's starting to look like it might indeed be the former. The production tracking website My Entertainment World updated their site this morning with listings for the New Mutants feature film, which as expected will begin filming in late-April in Montréal, and also opened a new listing for X-Men: Supernova with a expected shoot date of mid-May 2017, also in Montréal.

Now, nothing is confirmed and this could easily be a mix-up as it's unlikely 20th Century Fox would want to kick off production on three, maybe four, separate X-Men universe films (including Deadpool 2 and possibly Gambit) within weeks of one another, but it's also not out of the realm of possibility, especially considering that both New Mutants and the Deadpool sequel will almost definitely be ready to roll by their respective production start dates. So, could the next X-Men sequel be much further along than we previously thought?

We already know producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Apocalypse) has been hard at work on the sequel's script since last summer and it's also been heavily rumored that the next film in the series will be a fresh take on the über-popular Phoenix Saga, this time set in the roaring '90s. As for the cast, we don't have an exact beat on which First Class cast members would return, but we do know that Tye Sheridan (Ready Player One), Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones), and Alexandra Shipp (Straight Outta Compton) all signed multi-picture deals back in 2015 to portray Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm for the foreseeable future, so they'll almost definitely return to lead the X-Men in any future installments.

With all of the details presented above, it's not a stretch to assume Supernova may just be a clever codename and/or placeholder for Phoenix as that's where the story seems to be going. It's either that or Fox could be gearing up to surprise everyone with an adaptation of the Rogue-led comic book story X-Men: Supernovas (although that's unlikely at best). Regardless, we'll just have to wait and see over the next few weeks as we probably won't get any concrete answers on the future of the blockbuster X-Men franchise till Hugh Jackman's epic swan song Logan rolls around March 3.

THR wrote:Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams Set to Star in 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants' (Exclusive)
Josh Boone is directing the Fox movie from a script he co-wrote with Knate Gwaltney.

Fox’s long-awaited X-Men spinoff New Mutants is finally getting casting up.

Anya Taylor-Joy, the star of The Witch and Split, and Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams have signed on to star in the project, the ensemble young adult super hero movie being directed by Josh Boone.

The movie is headed towards an early July start and is armed with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Gwaltney. Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing.

New Mutants, created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, was the first X-Men comic spinoff, launched in the early 1980s as the franchise began two decades of dominating the comic book industry.

The movie will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.

Taylor-Joy will play Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. She is also the sister of Colossus, an X-Man who appeared in Deadpool.

Williams will play Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

Boone has been eyeing the actresses since last year but was only able pull the trigger on them once the movie was greenlit earlier this year. The movie has a April 13, 2018 release date.

The studio is making serious efforts to find ethnically appropriate actors, conducting wide searches for a Native American to play Moonstar and a South American for Sunspot.

Taylor-Joy broke out with the 2015 award-winning period horror movie The Witch and starred with James McAvoy in M. Night Shyamalan’s surprise hit, Split. She is repped by CAA, Felker Toczek and Troika in the UK.

Williams plays Arya Stark in Thrones, which launches its seventh season in July. She is repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman.
maisie is yet another way to ensure i'll see this. i'm loving that both stark sisters are in this world now.

BMD wrote:Josh Boone Says THE NEW MUTANTS Is A Full-Fledged Horror Movie
That's right: a horror movie set within the X-MEN universe.

In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, X-Men: The New Mutants director Josh Boone says he's doing something "very, very different" with Fox's long-running franchise.

Namely:
“We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe. There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

We expected The New Mutants to look and feel different than, say, Bryan Singer's X-Men movies or last year's Deadpool, but..."a full-fledged horror movie"? With no costumes? No supervillains? Gotta admit, this one catches us off-guard.

But in a good way! Both Deadpool and Logan exceeded expectations by breaking out of the rut that Singer's X-films have sunken into over the past decade, as did FX's Legion series. This is a universe of characters crying out to be interpreted by new talents, within new genres. Josh Boone (who, it's worth noting, is also attached to direct adaptations of Stephen King's The Stand and Revival) wants to make a horror film set in the X-Men universe? More power to him. We will be there with bells on come opening night.

X-Men: The New Mutants - which we already know will star The Witch's Anya Taylor-Joy and Game Of Thrones' Maisie Williams - is in the process of rounding out the rest of its cast, and still on track to hit theaters on April 13th, 2018.

O-dot wrote:No Logan reviews? I was expecting at least a couple of you guys to have caught it this weekend.
by the time i was finally able to go see the film, it was out of IMAX so i didn't go. i waited. now i have it on BR, watched it a few days ago. so fucking good. easily the best move i've seen in a long time, let alone x-men movie. really, just pitch perfect. can't wait to watch the noir version.

big d note wrote:I saw Logan last night. Wow, that is a heavy movie. Reminds me a lot of Children of Men, with mutants. I definitely recommend it, but it kind of crushes your spirits for a while.
yeah i thought that was pretty funny. or you were a covert writer for cracked.

dark-phoenix.png
Set in 1992, about 10 years after the events of last year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix opens with the X-Men, including Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Quicksilver (Evan Peters), in a new, unexpected role: national heroes. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) even lands on the cover of Time magazine. But his growing ego puts the team at risk. “Pride is starting to get the better of him, and he is pushing the X-Men to more extreme missions,” Kinberg says. After they’re dispatched to space for a rescue mission, a solar flare hits the X-Jet and the surge of energy ignites a malevolent, power-hungry new force within Jean (Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner)— the Phoenix.
November 2, 2018.

i've been waiting for this since they started making x-men movies. they had best not fuck this up.

this is on my wall right now:
15000710_10205533371374020_2462977021888460899_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

and today, in x-tra depressing news...
CosmicBookNews wrote:X-Men: Dark Phoenix & New Mutants Canceled?

This Friday sees the Fox Sudios and Disney shareholders vote on whether Disney will acquire the Fox Studios assets.

By all accounts it's going to go through, which means Disney will get the X-Men, Deadpool, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and related properties back at Marvel Studios, in addition to other properties such as James Camaron's Avatar franchise, FOX TV and more.

Currently, Fox Studios has two X-Men movies that are in active development with New Mutants and X-Men: Dark Phoenix, both of which have completed filming, though there are supposed to be reshoots in the works.

Now a batch of rumors has hit the net about the X-Men movies said to be from an employee at Fox Studios.

According to the rumor, the Disney deal is basically already done and Disney execs have an active hand in what has been going in at Fox, and that people at both companies want a clean slate, so New Mutants and X-Men: Dark Phoenix won't be released. It's further said that both movies are atrocious (worse than Fantastic Four) with a bad storyline and acting, and that the cancellation announcement will come after this Friday's shareholders vote.

Regarding New Mutants, it's rumored there were problems with director Josh Boone who didn't care about the comic books, but just wanted to make a superhero horror film; it's further said Anya Taylor-Joy had issues with another actor on set. The reports about half the movie getting reshot are said to be true, but the Fox employee says it wasn't directed by Boone, as Fox wasn't at all happy with his cut.

There were some of us nobody's who were actively involved in trying to warn both Fox & Boone that they were going in the wrong direction with the movie, but we were mostly ignored. Some of us were punished, some even fired for expressing our concerns.

Finally the execs recognized their mistakes after seeing Boone's cut. They were faced with two options, release the Boone cut and face yet another embarrassing pr disaster like Fant4stic, or delay, delay, delay in an attempt to salvage the movie, keeping Boone as the "director" (in name only, basically to save face) and bring in some new blood under the cover of night and essentially reshoot over half of the movie.

It's said then the Disney deal came about and progress on New Mutants stopped.

The employee describes X-Men: Dark Phoenix as the "worse spinoff ever," and also that the cut he saw didn't feature Olivia Munn's Psylocke. It's added that it appeared as if the cast "seemed to phone their performances in."

It's claimed that both movies will be shelved, but possibly released years later (i.e. on a streaming service) when Marvel Studios has their X-Men universe all set up. The employee also says the movies will be leaked online before then as too many people have already worked on the projects.

Some other tidbits include:

The Channing Tatum Gambit movie won't be happening.
Mr. Sinister was never a part of New Mutants.
Marvel Studios already has plans "unofficially" for Fox-owned characters such as Silver Surfer and Galactus.
X-Force is said to possibly be retitled by Disney as "Deadpool 3: X-Force," and may feature New Mutants characters, but not Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik due to her having issues with another member of the cast.
Regarding introducing the Mutants into the MCU, The Eternals movie will somehow do that.