Re: Xmen / Mutant Mega-thread

/film wrote:‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Adds Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Alexandra Shipp

Move over, Halle Berry. You too, Famke Janssen and James Marsden. There’s a new trio of mutants in town.

X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer has just announced that Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones), Tye Sheridan (Tree of Life), and Alexandra Shipp (Drumline: A New Beat) have joined the comic book prequel as the younger versions of Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Storm, respectively. More on the X Men Apocalypse casting after the jump.

All three stars were named earlier this month as testing for X-Men: Apocalypse. According to that report, Sheridan was up against Taron Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and Jamie Blackley (If I Stay); Turner was competing with Saoirse Ronan; and Shipp was in contention along with Zendaya Coleman (Disney Channel’s Shake It Up).

X-Men: Apocalypse will be set in the 1980s. Turner, Sheridan, and Shipp are playing the younger versions of the superheroes played by Janssen, Marsden, and Berry in the original X-Men trilogy. They join fellow franchise newcomer Oscar Isaac, who’s playing the titular villain Apocalypse. In addition, Channing Tatum is rumored, but not yet confirmed, to make his debut as Gambit.

The film also brings back the core cast from X-Men: First Class: James McAvoy as Professor X, Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as Beast. Hugh Jackman is in talks to return as Wolverine.

X-Men: Apocalypse promises to close out the First Class trilogy with ”mass destruction.” The character of Apocalypse is an “ancient” mutant born thousands of years ago. The storyline will also prominently feature Mystique and her relationships with Beast and Magneto. Simon Kinberg wrote the script based on a story by himself, Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris.

X-Men: Apocalypse will start shooting this spring in Canada. It opens May 27, 2016.
this makes me very happy. more sophie please.

Has it already been mentioned that Oscar Isaac was cast as Apocalypse? I don't recall seeing that and am too lazy to check the thread over, but I just read that myself.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

/film wrote:‘X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut’ Release Date Marks 15th Anniversary of Original ‘X-Men’

We’ve been hearing about an extended cut of X-Men: Days of Future Past since last fall. The longer edition of the film has been called the Rogue Cut, mostly because it gives the power-stealing mutant played by Anna Paquin some more screentime thanks to a subplot that originally ended up on the cutting room floor. We’ve heard details about this cut of the film being 17 minutes longer, and the home video release also having some new extras as well. Now Bryan Singer has made an official announcement with the X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut release date and a tease of other changes in the film beyond the inclusion of more Rogue.

Singer took to Periscope (via Collider) to announce that X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut will hit shelves on July 14th. For those who may not remember, that will mark the exact 15th anniversary of the release of the original X-Men movie that Bryan Singer directed back in the year 2000.

The Rogue Cut of the film brings back a cut sequence that featured Professor X (Patrick Stewart) and Magneto (Ian McKellen) on a mission in the future involving Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) and Rogue. Collider caught up with writer and producer Simon Kinberg a while back, and he explained what some of the restored footage entailed:
“It was like, ‘What would it be like to have Patrick and Ian on a road trip together?’ And that was kind of, you know, it got condensed as I wrote it and then when we shot it, but it was just a sub-plot. It was a perfectly good sub-plot and people will see it one day, and Anna was great in it and it was well-directed; it just didn’t serve the overall story. And it didn’t, it never did, it was created outside the core story. As a result, when you watched the movie, you were like, ‘Why are we on this detour, on a movie that already has two time periods, two types of Sentinels, 10-12 main characters, just as a lark?’ And so it ended up getting cut.”
But with 17 minutes being added into the film, there’s more than just that subplot added back in. In the announcement today, Singer teased “a few little changes” throughout the rest of the film as well. But it sounds like fans will have to actually watch this alternate cut to find out what’s different.

Someone from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment said, “If you’re here from the future, try not to spoil it for anyone.” So unless you’ve mastered time travel, you’ll have to wait until July 14th like the rest of us to see X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut.
make that 17 minutes. also, holy shit - it's been that long since the first x-men film???? my younger son didn't exist at the time it came out & he's about to turn 14. wow.

re: rogue cut - total and complete cash grab. i think there are a total of 3 scenes in which rogue appears, in which she has a total of 2 lines. the rest of the minutes are the other characters discussing whether or not to get rogue to help. her presence changed absolutely nothing and added nothing. if you had cut her out, the film would be just great without her and no one would have noticed (except that's exactly what happened, and they did, so we have this). DO NOT buy, unless you don't already own the film - in which case, you should buy as both versions are on the set. remember the DVD of X-Men 1.5? this.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It struck me as a suit at Fox somewhere saying, "Hey, Anna Paquin is more popular these days than she was originally, we need to get more of her in the film than only at the end. Let's shove her in by just having her do what the other character was already doing anyway. The rescue kills the flow of the story. At the very least they should have just had her show up right after Kitty is injured saying she received Charles' telepathic call or something instead of wasting time with extra scenes. I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it that way. "Oh crap, Kitty is injured, we're screwed now. Oh look Rogue got my call and is here to take her place, get to it then." Done and done.

Also, really they should call this the Kitty cut, since she's the one who got stabbed.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Saw this yesterday. Without being too spoilery, it's okay, but not great. The plot is pretty thin and they're trying to service so many characters at any given time that it feels like they're just ticking off check boxes and no one really gets much development. Most of it is setting things up for future films than really developing a well rounded one this time. I suppose we have the MCU to thank for that as now everyone thinks comic book films should be massive multi-movie universes. Think massive origin story, except instead of having to set it up for one character they're doing it for about 15. "We're getting the band together" should be the tag line for this film. Which is kind of odd considering we're on the last film of a trilogy (or nine films into a series). That said, it wasn't awful. Unlike Batman V Superman at least most of the characters do serve the story, light as it is (also everyone in this film can act). Apocalypse is kind of an idiot as there's at least three times he could have killed everyone a lot easier than his convoluted plan. Also, the ending was pretty predictable. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the comic or even the films knows how things are going to go down if they really think about it. On the positive, if you're an X-men fan there are some good moments to get totally geeked out at
Dark Phoenix tease in the climax, Weapon X, lots of callbacks to characters from the comics
. Meh, it didn't suck and entertained me for a couple of hours, so I consider it worth seeing. But it's probably not one I'll watch more than once.
Oh, and Olivia Munn's ass is as well toned and impressive as expected.
Just cut them up like regular chickens