Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (Singer, 2016)

I honestly think it speaks to what the studios are willing to finance these days. That, and I don't know what the last movie Singer made without X-Men in the title that was a critical and box office hit.

Apparently Jackman is already laying the groundwork for a huge payday to return as his contract is up and he "doesn't know if he'll return or not." Sure you don't know, Hugh. Somebody saw what Downey Jr. pulled off with Marvel and got a few ideas.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Well yeah, money always talks in these situations. I just think it's sad that he, Usual Suspects aside, never managed to make anything interesting besides a bunch of X-Men films.

Speaking of Jackman/Wolverine - I just saw X-Men First Class for the first time and loved the Wolverine cameo.

Yeah, I don't really think he's a great auteur by any stretch, lucked into what many consider a great script/story (I was never a big Usual Suspects fan) for his first film, then didn't screw up the X-Men too bad and with X2 even made one of the better comic book movies out there. I thought First Class was OK but a tad flat, and Xavier's crippling was pretty underwhelming IIRC. Am kind of looking forward to seeing The Wolverine at some point, in a "I could do worse on a Saturday night" kind of way.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

On a related note:
'X-Men' Writer-Producer Simon Kinberg Re-Ups at Fox (Exclusive)
2:45 PM PST 12/5/2013 by Borys Kit
The deal will allow Kinberg, who is producing the "X-Men" and "Fantastic Four" movies, to try to create Marvel-style movie universes.

Simon Kinberg and his Genre Films banner have signed a new three-year first-look deal at 20th Century Fox.

Kinberg is heavily involved with next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past and the studio's upcoming Fantastic Four reboot as both writer and producer. The new deal will allow him to expand those franchises into full-blown universes, with the hope of creating for Fox something akin to the Marvel model of interlocking movies.

"I have a lot of ideas on how to built those brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," Kinberg tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I want to be able to build stories over multiple movies."

Kinberg is one of the town's more prolific writer-producers. He's a producer on Cinderella for Disney; worked with Neill Blomkamp on Elysium and now Blomkamp's follow-up, Chappie; and has his hands in the Star Wars universe with a gig writing and producing one of the upcoming movies while also co-creating and exec producing the TV series Star Wars Rebels.

But Kinberg considers Fox his home. He made his first film as a writer at Fox, 2005's Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and his Genre shingle has been based at the studio since 2010. Aditya Sood is president of production and Josh Feldman is director of development. "They've always been incredibly generous with me and trusting me with movies," Kinberg says of Fox. "They treat me like a partner and not an employee."

"Simon is one of the best out there," says 20th Century Fox production president Emma Watts. "We feel very lucky that he calls Fox his home and hope to build our slates together for many years to come."

Kinberg says he doesn't just want to focus on franchises or established brands. The goal is to make original projects or adaptations of works that he believes deserve a wider audience. "There is a special kind of satisfaction on working on a story that no one has ever heard before," he says.

Rust, an adaptation of an Archaia graphic novel, could get the green light next year. Carlos Saldana, who directed Rio, is slated to make his live-action directorial debut on the robot feature, which Kinberg hopes will evoke an Amblin-esque tone.

Also in the works is an adaptation of The Martian, an e-book by Andy Weir, which has Drew Goddard on board to write the script and direct.

Kinberg is repped at CAA and attorney Karl Austen.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: X-Men: Days Of Future Past

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
io9 wrote:Anna Paquin's Rogue has been cut from X-Men: Days of Future Past

X-Men: Days of Future Past reunites many of the cast members from the earlier X-Men film trilogy, but one previously announced character will be absent: Anna Paquin's Rogue, whose scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer told EW that the decision to cut Rogue from the film had nothing to do with Paquin's performance and that he "would work with her in a heartbeat." But Paquin was supposed to appear in only one scene, which didn't make it into the final version of the film:
Through the editing process, the sequence became extraneous," explains Singer. "It's a really good sequence and it will probably end up on the DVD so people can see it. But like many things in the editing process, it was an embarrassment of riches and it was just one of the things that had to go. Unfortunately, it was the one and only sequence Anna Paquin was in, the Rogue character was in. Even though she's in the materials and part of the process of making the film, she won't appear in it.

Re: Wolverine 2

DH wrote:"The Wolverine 2" To Hit 2017 Or 2018?

Turns out Hugh Jackman may be slipping back into his Wolverine outfit sooner than expected.

As we already know, filmmaker Bryan Singer is about to release "X-Men: Days of Future Past" this May and is already looking towards directing "X-Men: Apocalypse" sometime next year in time for a 2016 release.

Meanwhile, Jackman and his "The Wolverine" director James Mangold have been throwing about talk of doing a follow-up to last year's stand-alone Wolvie film. However, they didn't intend to move forward until they had something great in mind.

Looks like they may have figured it out. Responding to a fan on Twitter, Mangold says scheduling wise: "We are figuring it all out. At the moment, I'm shooting The next #Wolverine after #XmenApocalypse."

That would put "The Wolverine" on target for a 2017 or 2018 release. Mangold is currently looking towards directing the mystery tale "The Deep Blue Goodbye" as his next film.

Finally watched The Wolverine today. Any comic adaption with Fox's logo before it I generally go into with low expectations but I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. Maybe could have used a bit tighter editing but otherwise a good story. Nice to see studios have finally learned there's gold to be mined in comic book stories.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:Finally watched The Wolverine today. Any comic adaption with Fox's logo before it I generally go into with low expectations but I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. Maybe could have used a bit tighter editing but otherwise a good story. Nice to see studios have finally learned there's gold to be mined in comic book stories.
felt the same. way better.