TC wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:I recently ordered a dirt cheap version of Lavey's infamous The Satanic Bible. Thought I'd look into what all the fuzz is about. Anyone read it?
yep. i'll refrain from comment until you read it and give me your impression. wouldn't want to influence your thinking.
Cool, I'll get back to ya.

_Marcus_ wrote:
I could write a better Satanic Bible.
I'd read it!
Don't tempt me! Besides, there's more money in fleecing the Christians right now, Satanism seems to be on a downword trend. Got to go where the bucks are.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

This could get interesting. It's one of my favorite subjects. I'll also abstain from comment til things get rolling.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

You should also try and find some of Michael Aquino's writings on the subject. I don't know if anything is in book form but you can find all his essays and his famous departure from the Church of Satan letter on the Temple of Set website...

nihil wrote:You should also try and find some of Michael Aquino's writings on the subject. I don't know if anything is in book form but you can find all his essays and his famous departure from the Church of Satan letter on the Temple of Set website...
Shhh. i'm watcing lavey play silly shit on his organ right now......like, hours of silly shit. Don't be feeding the fire before the punters get thru the rulebook. Damn Harp Lager and Afghooey for being both so awesome. don't be bring up the Aquino-vision before we've have a chance to nuke the grottoes.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

I'll try to be quick about it. I still have some Lovecraft short stories to get through before Lavey gets first in line, but I only have a couple of more days of work, then I have two weeks off. Should be interesting.

TC wrote:Dreams in the Witch House > *
Thats definately one of them. Just finished The Case of Charles Dexter Ward wich I enjoyed very much.

I dig Lovecraft...as a kid I wanted to do a film version of Shadow Over Innsmouth....

Ever read his letters? He was a hardcore racist and spoiled mama's boy, if i recall correctly...some deep psychosexual stuff going on in his writing to be sure.
http://www.vectortrio.com

Yeah, the racism is a problem for me while reading it. I constantly have to remind myself to ignore it. He is after all dead, and was on a personal level nothing but a spoiled brat with a screwed up look on life. Also, it's not like his stories, the ones I've read anyway, are based on racism, it just creeps up here and there. The horror is certainly non-racist.

_Marcus_ wrote:Yeah, the racism is a problem for me while reading it. I constantly have to remind myself to ignore it. He is after all dead, and was on a personal level nothing but a spoiled brat with a screwed up look on life. Also, it's not like his stories, the ones I've read anyway, are based on racism, it just creeps up here and there. The horror is certainly non-racist.

Actually, you can read his stories as Fear of the Other--with his semi-human characters being the non-white races and his fear of "mixed blood" manifesting as people who have consorted (sexually and otherwise) with non-human races.

It's interesting stuff--but I can also read his stories as pure horror, minus the sociology as well.
http://www.vectortrio.com

TC wrote:let's remember the era in which he lived as well.
That's of course something you have to factor in.

Racist or not, his writings are most of the time very unique and have a touch of the bizarre that I find really intriguing. Still hoping for a descent movie-treatment of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (the one I saw was sub-par at best).

big d note wrote:I'm halfway through Dune. I've actually never read it until now. Are the other Dune books worth reading after this?
Dune Messiah and Children of Dune aren't as good but they're worth reading to get through to God Emperor. After God Emperor it's space witches fucking children and talking killer cats. The House prequels are likewise worth reading only if one is greatly enamoured of the Dune universe.

Don't touch the rest of the postmortem prequels and sequels unless you run out of toilet paper or kindling.

I found out one of the guys I work with is a big Dune fan. He loaned me Messiah and Children and I'm reading those next.

I'm also reading the Xeriscape Handbook. It has pretty pictures.

Re: Recently Read/Currently Reading

Almost halfway through God Emperor of Dune now. My wife was reading them too but Children of Dune got too weird for her and she's done with them now. I'm still enjoying the series though.

I also read the Zombie Survival Guide recently and it was pretty entertaining. Max Brooks has put a lot of thought into zombies and zombie attacks!

Re: Recently Read/Currently Reading

I guess I'm the only one reading lately? :wink: Finally finished Chapterhouse: Dune and decided I've had enough Dune for awhile. Maybe someday I'll read Brian Herbert's books... or not. I'm over 100 pages into Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman right now. It was highly recommended by a friend, and it's an entertaining fantasy read so far.