Re: Star Wars Episode VII

TC wrote:i miss the uber-secrecy of lucas.
Uber-secrecy? For Attack of the Clones there were videos posted during filming regularly showing behind the scenes stuff. And the entire first act of Revenge of the Sith was spoiled by both the first Clone Wars cartoon and a book leading up to the story of the film, both released months before the film was. Lucas with is all out publicity and merchandising blitz was hardly secret about anything.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Okay then, Boba Fett was released as an action figure long before Empire Strikes Back came out and also appeared in the Star Wars Holiday Special (which by the newly released standards is now officially canon).

Hollywood Reporter wrote:'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards

3:50 PM PDT 5/22/2014 by Borys Kit

Fresh off the success of Godzilla, filmmaker Gareth Edwards has lined up his next project, something set in a galaxy far, far away.

Edwards is attached to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing the script for the movie, which has a release date set for December 16, 2016, said Disney and Lucasfilm in a statement later posted on the official Star Wars website.

Due to the high level of secrecy surrounding the Star Wars development process, it is unclear which spinoff Edwards will tackle.

Speculation has focused on characters such as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi master Yoda as those who might be getting their own movies. There are also rumors of a potential Han Solo origin story or at least something on the Solo clan, and untold adventures of Luke Skywalker.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards in a statement release after THR broke the news.

Earlier in May, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that there was a plan to make at least three spinoff movies that would be released in between the main installments.

It has been reported that Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing and producing the spinoffs.

The Star Wars project marks an amazing career trajectory for Edwards, who went from making a small creature feature for $500,000, 2010’s Monsters, to getting the assignment to take on Godzilla, a monster in need of a 21st century rehabilitation.

The mission was a success, with the Legendary/Warner Bros. movie overperforming when it opened last weekend, grossing $93.1 million. The movie also received strong critical reviews and plenty of fanboy love.

"Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors,” said Legendary Entertainment’s chairman and CEO Thomas Tull in a statement in response to the Star Wars hire. "The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the Star Wars universe."

WME-repped Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and 3, but while story ideas exist, the Godzilla 2 project is still in early development and does not even have a script.

That frees up Edwards to be part of what is not only one of the biggest franchises in history, but also a project that is a dream for so many filmmakers who grew up loving and being inspired by the storied George Lucas universe.

Star Wars: Episode VII, with J.J. Abrams directing, just began production in Abu Dhabi. The film is set to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

Disney and Lucasfilm had no comment.

I call BS on this. Why would Han not have seen Luke since the end of Jedi? He's presumably married or at least hooked up with Luke's sister after all. You'd think they'd at least get together once a year as a family with Bea Arthur for Life Day.

I have read elsewhere that
Luke is being held captive and Han and Chewy and some newbies go looking to rescue him, that it's a parallel to the rescuing Leia storyline in Ep 4 and I don't think Luke having been gone from Han's life for a while would be that tough to write.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:I have read elsewhere that
Luke is being held captive and Han and Chewy and some newbies go looking to rescue him, that it's a parallel to the rescuing Leia storyline in Ep 4 and I don't think Luke having been gone from Han's life for a while would be that tough to write.
But they didn't say "a while." They said since the end of Return of the Jedi, 30 years. Leia was held captive for what, a week tops maybe? You're telling me Han and Chewie and Leia would let Luke be held captive for three decades and not think to go after him. They went after Han. The went after Leia. But Luke, fuck that bastard, he can rot for 30 years and then maybe we'll get around to it eventually? Doubtful.

Like I said, I could see them writing it away--thinking he'd just gone off to start a Jedi academy somewhere, not thinking he was in trouble. Who knows. But I have seen the "Han and Co. need to rescue Luke" thing from several corners of the web in recent weeks.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Let's see if I can get this to upload properly...supposedly an image of the new big bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, that and we're in our 40s at this point. Not to mention the fact that the reported lead of the new one is in his 70s.

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Well, that and we're in our 40s at this point.
Not for a while for some of us still! :dance:
Laugh it up, fuzzball!