Clue [Verbinski]

already mentioned in another thread, but here it goes...
Screenrant wrote:Gore Verbinski To Direct ‘Clue’ Movie

Of all the board games out there, the one which has potential to be at least a decent movie is Clue (or as us Brits know it - Cluedo). For those of you who may not know, there was already a movie of the game made back in 1985 which starred Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd and Michael McKean.

And it seems that Hollywood thinks there’s enough there to warrant another movie based on the game, with the ball set in motion with Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski in final negotiations to direct.

Now I can’t speak for the 1985 film since I haven’t seen it, but I do know that it’s somewhat of a cult film (although with a much smaller following than the likes of The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Donnie Darko) and therefore fans of it will probably end up being upset that they’re going ahead with another one.

What I also know about the original is it’s a comedy (one of those fun and campy style ones, I believe) but one of the questions about this new one is will it continue along a comedic route? Or will they try a serious Clue movie this time around? I personally would prefer the latter, simply because I don’t think a comedic version would work these days - back in the ’80s, sure, but what worked back then doesn’t necessarily translate into the 21st century (it can, but not often).

Clue isn’t the only board game to be in the works for appearances on the big-screen - Universal has striked up a deal with Hasbro to adapt other such board games as Candyland (which has Kevin Lima attached to direct and Etan Cohen on to write the script), Ouija Board (which is to be produced by Michael Bay’s company Platinum Dunes) and Monopoly (which has Ridlery Scott on-board to produce).

Let me just say quickly that Clue is a movie I could see - it’s already been done in the past and out of all the board games out there it is one of the ones I’d look to first if I was going to adapt from board to big-screen. However Candyland? Ouija Board? Monopoly? Are they serious? Clearly they are since they already have people on-board to write, direct and produce but those three come off as pretty much the opposite of the term adaptable.

The idea of adapting this game aside, it’s certainly peculiar that the guy who did the Pirates franchise is going to be directing (well, he’s in final negotiations but chances are he’ll get the gig). Will this mean some sort of over-the-top, elaborate movie with a bigger budget than warranted? Or will his experiences of smaller fair, such as the remake of The Ring (which is about the only remake of an Asian horror flick that’s superior to the original) and the extremely underrated The Weather Men, keep his sights on the small and intricate?

I’d certainly hope for the latter…
the original was quite enjoyable, had its own style & charm. as i find myself saying a lot lately, i don't really see the point of a remake...

Re: Clue [Verbinski]

Tim Curry is brilliant in the Clue movie, and the rest of the cast worked well too. As a kid I really loved the scenes with Curry manically running from room to room, speculating on how the events unfolded. Some of the comedic timing is perfect too, like the singing telegram scene. And as a teenager the French maid had her own special appeal. :D

Hopefully they will choose to do it as a drama this time, because it has already been done so well as a comedy. I think there is potential there for a dramatic Clue movie too, and it would probably be closer to the mystery feel of the game actually. I'd still rather see something original than a remake of a movie based on a board game though...

All I remember about Clue was that Mr. Body was played by the lead singer from Fear. And all I know about Hollywood is it's becoming so bereft of new ideas I think I'm about to start watching 1960s European films again.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i'm assuming since it's been 15 years, we're not getting the Clue remake, which is fine by me. but i am going to use this thread to say that i re-watched the original film over the weekend once again. it's still really good, and mostly holds up. some of the jokes wouldn't fly in today's society, which is part of the charm of this film. yes, curry excels in his role, but really, so does everyone else. it's all played pretty perfectly, with lots of subtle humor as well "for the adults", similar to a loony tunes cartoon, where kids enjoy it but it's really targeted at adults. i still see no reason to remake this film, the one that exists is not going to be topped as far as complete devotion to the game and perfect elaboration and expansion into reality, overlaying the simple game mechanics with the brilliance of writing an accomplished ensemble cast. if you haven't watched it in a while, i recommend doing so. good stuff.