Re: Peter Gabriel!

klimov wrote:Who else thinks Peter Gabriel is class? :mrgreen:
I like the guy, though I don't own any of his albums. Last Temptation of Christ is worth watching just for the soundtrack. "Digging in the Dirt" is a cool song... What should one pick up first, klimov?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Well I'm not Klimov (and would change my name if my parents had given it to me), but I'd recommend Peter Gabriel Plays Live as a good overview of his early stuff, Passion is the Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack and somewhat of a stoner classic (not that I'd know anything about that), So has the 80's hits on it, and his new one is pretty creepy/cool. All of his early self-titled albums are good (generally referred to by their cover art; Car, Scratch, Melt, etc), but again, a good selection off those can be found on his live album.

Alexhead wrote:Well I'm not Klimov (and would change my name if my parents had given it to me)
as would I, but what the hey, I'll play along :wink:
Alexhead wrote:a stoner classic (not that I'd know anything about that)
riiiiiight :bwaha:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

i'd be very suspicious of a live album. Gabriel strikes me as very much the studio artist. His latest one took 12 years to record, and the one before that took 3.

I'd recommend:

SO (the classicist one)
UP (the new one)
4 (SECURITY) the one before SO, class too

3 (MELT) is pretty good too, and PASSION is interesting. It's certainly far more than a soundtrack; there are lots of tracks and he almost never repeats himself, each one has a different sound and feel and only 2 or 3 of them are cheesy soundtrack material.

Of course Gabriel isn't Beethoven :roll: but he's fun! You should check out Beethoven first, tho. And Bach. And Schumann, Mendelssohn, Xenakis and of course Stockhausen :nopity: :spank:

Actually, the thing about Plays Live that used to piss me off but would probably make you happy is that he took the live tapes into the studio and did a lot of overdubbing; trust me, it's very choice fora live album from a production standpoint. Several of the tracks, especially the opening "Rhythm of the Heat," completely school the original versions.

the original is class! Can't believe that a live version would top it, over-dubbing or not 8O

I guess the thing I miss with classical music is the production. It's nice to here a really well produced and mixed album with lots of electronic synthesisers, manipulations and effects... Of course Stockhausen and Xenakis do this, but their music is rarely lyrical. What would be really great would be if a modern composer came along with the complexity, lyricism and structure of Beethoven and who worked within the recorded medium. Unfortunately no such composer exists to my knowledge.

You should see if you can find an mp3 of it or something, the live version really is a lot warmer, bigger, and scarier.

I certainly wouldn't put them at the level of a Beethoven, but howsabout Kronos Quartet?

Peter Gabriel is mondo-class!

I have vol 1, vol 2, "shaking the tree", plays live (2cd), secret world (2cd), US and UP

"...this time you've gone too far, i told you, i told you, i told you. don't talk back, just drive the car, shut your mouth, i know what you are, don't say nothing, keep your hands on the wheel, don't turn around, this is for real..."

:mrgreen:

chainsaw wrote:Peter Gabriel is mondo-class!

I have vol 1, vol 2, "shaking the tree", plays live (2cd), secret world (2cd), US and UP

"...this time you've gone too far, i told you, i told you, i told you. don't talk back, just drive the car, shut your mouth, i know what you are, don't say nothing, keep your hands on the wheel, don't turn around, this is for real..."

:mrgreen:
"Hey, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band!"

:spank:

Alexhead wrote:Actually, the thing about Plays Live that used to piss me off but would probably make you happy is that he took the live tapes into the studio and did a lot of overdubbing; trust me, it's very choice fora live album from a production standpoint. Several of the tracks, especially the opening "Rhythm of the Heat," completely school the original versions.
Hrm, so I have Alexhead advising the live set, and the usual ravings from klimov.... oh my, such a dilemma.

:nopity:

the live stuff is good, but it's also probably something you had to have been there to witness (grandeur sets onstage, his costumes were fantastic), there's a SECRET WORLD video around (hopefully it'll get released on DVD at somepoint)

the live stuff also has extended versions of such classics as Shock The Monkey and San Jacinto (on Plays Live that is)

if you wanna hear something that'll make you :lol: as well as want to :killer: , hear the coal chamber cover of same track, it's fucking awful, and ozzy osbourne sounds like he's actually "using both pipes"

klimov wrote:hey, talking of 80s music - HOUNDS OF LOVE by Kate Bush is pretty class too :D :meow:
Yeah! Let's not forget the Smiths and Spandau Ballet. I'll bet you were a big Echo and the Bunnymen kinda guy too :lol:

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Actually, the thing about Plays Live that used to piss me off but would probably make you happy is that he took the live tapes into the studio and did a lot of overdubbing; trust me, it's very choice fora live album from a production standpoint. Several of the tracks, especially the opening "Rhythm of the Heat," completely school the original versions.
Hrm, so I have Alexhead advising the live set, and the usual ravings from klimov.... oh my, such a dilemma.

:nopity:
Why don't you just pick up "Shaking The Tree," that's a decent greatest hits-type package.

Alexhead wrote:Why don't you just pick up "Shaking The Tree," that's a decent greatest hits-type package.
A-head, you're not picking up on my sarcasm much lately!

:loony:

of course on Shaking the Tree, a lot of the tracks are cut down or altered... It does seem to have some decent tracks on it, tho.

Echo and the Bunnymen! Ugh!

TC wrote:Sledgehammer rocks, duuuuuuuuude! :metal:
"I want my MTV...."